What should I try next at Pisgah?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,160

    What should I try next at Pisgah?

    I just got back from Pisgah and am already thinking about planning my next trip back. I've been to Pisgah twice and have ridden the North Mills River, Turkey Pen and the Davidson Campground trail head areas. I'd rank the trails as:
    1. Squirrel Gap / Turkey Pen
    2. Black mountain / Sycomore / Thrift
    3. North Mills Trails

    I love either technical or flowy single track, not a big double track fan.

    What would you recommend trying next time I go back? I'd like to check out the Bent Creek area especially any technical trails there.
    Is the Fish Hatchery worth exploring?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,027
    The fish hatchery trails are great. Just remember that you can't legally ride singletrack into the FH during the summer. Try parking at Cove Creek and riding part of the Swank 65 course.

    Swank: Course
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I just got back from Pisgah and am already thinking about planning my next trip back. I've been to Pisgah twice and have ridden the North Mills River, Turkey Pen and the Davidson Campground trail head areas. I'd rank the trails as:
    1. Squirrel Gap / Turkey Pen
    2. Black mountain / Sycomore / Thrift
    3. North Mills Trails

    I love either technical or flowy single track, not a big double track fan.

    What would you recommend trying next time I go back? I'd like to check out the Bent Creek area especially any technical trails there.
    Is the Fish Hatchery worth exploring?
    Bent Creek and technical are oxymorons

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    215
    Buy a map, ride your bike.

    Not trying to be a smart a**, but it is all relative. What you may like or think of as technical or easy may be different - some days I like long day in Turkey Pen, some days an easy spin with my girlfriends is great ride.

    Besides, exploring new territory with out much prior knowledge is about as much fun as one can have on a mountain bike.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,160
    Thanks for the replies about FH and BC.


    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    Buy a map, ride your bike.

    Not trying to be a smart a**, but it is all relative. What you may like or think of as technical or easy may be different - some days I like long day in Turkey Pen, some days an easy spin with my girlfriends is great ride.

    Besides, exploring new territory with out much prior knowledge is about as much fun as one can have on a mountain bike.
    I get your point, but it isn't very helpful. I only take about a trip a year to Pisgah so getting more feedback about the trails when planning a trip is extremely helpful. I have a Pisgah map but it doesn't say "Turkey pen is technical" or "Bent creek is _____"

    Based on the two previous responders, I now have a better feel for what I may want to ride the next trip out.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14
    Two "must dos" that are fun and technical are Laurel Mountain (climb) > Pilot Rock (dh) and Farlow Gap (dh)...

    Also fun with some tech are Buckwheat Knob and Avery Creek.

    I went up to Pisgah last weekend and rode this:

    Clawhammer > Black > Buckhorn > Club > Avery > Clawhammer > Maxwell (5099?) > Black

    Nice mix of climbing, fun technical and speed.

    Compare it with the Pisgah map to fill in the names of the trails. I'd post my Strava link, but the site won't let me.

  7. #7
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by regularjoe View Post
    Two "must dos" that are fun and technical are Laurel Mountain (climb) > Pilot Rock (dh) and Farlow Gap (dh)...
    +1 on Laurel/Pilot as a "must do". Although I'm less technically skilled, so I prefer to climb Pilot and ride down Laurel. Or do Laurel as an O&B. But that's just me. Lots of riders love going down Pilot.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: heyheyitselliej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    215
    I realize this wasn't in your question, but you might also try Dupont State Forest if you haven't ridden there, seeing as it is pretty close to Pisgah.

    Also, Bent Creek isn't technical (at all really) but it is fun when the mood strikes. Some days epic hike-a-bikes just aren't so appealing.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by dobovedo View Post
    +1 on Laurel/Pilot as a "must do". Although I'm less technically skilled, so I prefer to climb Pilot and ride down Laurel. Or do Laurel as an O&B. But that's just me. Lots of riders love going down Pilot.
    After my first ride down Pilot, I looked at my friend and said, "After that, I need a cigarette"

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,160
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjohn View Post
    I realize this wasn't in your question, but you might also try Dupont State Forest if you haven't ridden there, seeing as it is pretty close to Pisgah.

    Also, Bent Creek isn't technical (at all really) but it is fun when the mood strikes. Some days epic hike-a-bikes just aren't so appealing.
    I love Dupont! I definitely want to check out Bent Creek as some point too. I love the trails around the Triangle, but WNC is getting addicting.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    674
    I have been thinking about camping at the very top of Black so I can descend it first thing in the morning. Just to see how the rest of the day would be.

  12. #12
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,968
    As was mentioned, laurel mtn., and farlow gap. And depending on the season, butter gap. Daniels ridge, Avery's creek. So much for you to do.

  13. #13
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    I have been thinking about camping at the very top of Black so I can descend it first thing in the morning. Just to see how the rest of the day would be.
    That'd be cool. It would probably make for a good day.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: -Mueller-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    145
    Working in vineyard gap or horse cove gap to a turkeypen ride would get you on some lesser traveled awesome singletracks.

    Maybe try up Laurel Mtn, down Big Creek. (a little section of MST you should walk to get to the parkway).

    As others said, laurel>pilot rock and Farlow gap are must rides. Cove Creek, Daniel Ridge, Butter Gap are good fish hatchery trails.

    Bennett Gap, Avery Creek, Buckwheat Knob are sweet trails near the stables and can be linked in with Black mtn/Sycamore easily.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    Buy a map, ride your bike.

    Not trying to be a smart a**, but it is all relative. What you may like or think of as technical or easy may be different - some days I like long day in Turkey Pen, some days an easy spin with my girlfriends is great ride.

    Besides, exploring new territory with out much prior knowledge is about as much fun as one can have on a mountain bike.
    You do realize you just told someone that mountain biking preferences are relative and then told them how to have fun on a mountain bike, don't you?

    Sorry OP, wish I could help. A little embarrassed to say I haven't ridden Pisgah and just rode tsali for the first time this weekend.

  16. #16
    Official Cooler Inspector
    Reputation: M-U-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,652
    Yeah, what a wuss. Even rides with his GF.

    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

  17. #17
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M View Post
    Yeah, what a wuss. Even rides with his GF.

    Rides with girlfriendS. As in plural. Maybe he's mormon.

  18. #18
    XC Champion
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    289
    The fish hatchery is very worth exploring. The Farlow - Daniel Ridge loop is about as tech as you can find unless you go to a bike park.

  19. #19
    Bix Pender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by -Mueller- View Post
    Maybe try up Laurel Mtn, down Big Creek. (a little section of MST you should walk to get to the parkway).


    As everyone's said, Bent creek isn't very technical, but the trails are fun, and even more so they give you options for much longer rides such as over into Mills River, then link up to a more technical trail like squirrel or laurel mtn, or even head further out into Brevard and ride Black mtn, then backtrack to Bent creek. A lot of options exist on that ride.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Rides with girlfriendS. As in plural. Maybe he's mormon.
    It's WNC, not Utah. I'd said "Polyamorous" is the term he prefers

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20

    Laurel Mountain feedback

    All,

    Looking to ride Pilot Mt/Laurel Mt on Wednesday. Need to know directions from 276/FR475 area in Pisgah, and whether the river crossings are wet? Might be pretty chilly if so.

    Also, technically, how does this ride compare to Farlow Gap I just rode again in Swank???

  22. #22
    drunken pirate
    Reputation: driftwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by GRobIII View Post
    All,

    Looking to ride Pilot Mt/Laurel Mt on Wednesday. Need to know directions from 276/FR475 area in Pisgah, and whether the river crossings are wet? Might be pretty chilly if so.

    Also, technically, how does this ride compare to Farlow Gap I just rode again in Swank???
    Are you going up Pilot Rock or up Laurel? If you are going up Pilot Rock the fastest way to drive there would be North on 276 and then right on FR1206. If you are going up Laurel, which is the direction I would recommend for your first time, You are better to go North on hwy 280 all the way to North Mills River Rd. Follow that road until it turns to gravel and becomes FR1206 and then keep going. After 3.5 miles or so you will get to the top of hill, FR5015 will be on your left here, a hundred yards or so further down 1206 Laurel Mtn. begins on the right. The last time I was there the trail sign had been stolen but the trail is obvious and well blazed. Don't forget your trail map.

    Laurel Mtn. is a pretty smooth trail but Pilot Rock is rather technical. Personally, I find it more challenging than Farlow (because I suck at switchbacks) but a lot of riders clean it without a problem (nobody cleans Farlow, regardless of what they claim). Most riders have to dismount several times on both Laurel and Pilot. Your feet should not get wet.

    Enjoy your ride and let us know how it was when you get done
    More Trails, Not Less

    Adventures in Pisgah

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.