What good riding is there within an hour of North Wilkesboro, NC?- Mtbr.com
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

What good riding is there within an hour of North Wilkesboro, NC?

Some friends and I are planning to come down and Ride Warrior Creek and Dark Mountain in Mid October. We can do that in a day, and we'd like to find something else to ride the second day within an hour. The catch is that we are coming from Roanoke and Blacksburg VA, so do we do not want to go farther south and make the trip back a lot longer.

Is there much around Boone? The Rocky Knob system looks cool, but it looks like it is only 6 miles? I see a few other places talked, but mileage looks similar (Sugar Mountain). Are they close together? Is it worth going out of our way for these?

Warrior Creek is pretty manicured (in a good way) so it would be nice to hit some back-country goodness the second day. It's not set in stone, though, if there is something else we should be checking out down there.

If we don't find anything else, we might go up to the Mt Rogers / Iron Mountain area, but that is a little farther than we'd like to drive if we can help it.

Thanks
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    wilson creek in pisgah is what you're wanting.......you'll need a guide or some directions from a local.
    is CCR coming with you by chance?

lemme know the details - i might meet you guys. i'm not a local but i've ridden it......

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    DO NOT go to wilsons without a guide
    are you riding ovt in wilkes? plus rocky knob is more than 6 now and sugar sucks unless you have a dh bike

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gsomtb View Post
    wilson creek in pisgah is what you're wanting.......you'll need a guide or some directions from a local.
    is CCR coming with you by chance?

lemme know the details - i might meet you guys. i'm not a local but i've ridden it......
    Not sure about CCR. He's got an invite, but we need to work out the details.

We are looking at the weekend of Oct 13-14, so what we are looking for is something for the 14th (Sunday).

Suggestions on the best camping in the area is welcome as well. I was just goin gto try and camp at Warrior Creek, but I'm open to suggestions.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    DO NOT go to wilsons without a guide
    are you riding ovt in wilkes? plus rocky knob is more than 6 now and sugar sucks unless you have a dh bike
    We'll see about OVT. If we have time, we might do it on Sat after Warrior Creek and Dark Mt, but I found it the least interesting of the trails there when I rode it in the past.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Sugar Mountain.

lamer
    There's also Emerald Outback up at Beech Mtn Bike Beech Mountain

It was a bit too rooty for my taste, but you guys might like it. It's a bit more than 1 hour way from Wilkes, but Wilson's Creek is even farther. Beech is probably 30 minutes past Sugar, depending on how fast you can make it up the mountain. Wilson Creek is a good hour past Boone, which is at least 35 minutes away from N. Wilkes.

mtbr member
    Rocky Knob, Sugar, and Beech are all awesome if you like mountain biking.

Members who have read this thread: 0