What bike and trails do you ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

What bike and trails do you ride?

So I'm looking at a new frame this fall, and I'm not really sure what I want. I really would like to try a Banshee Spitfire, but I'm not sure about how well the bushings will hold up in the wet weather of Pisgah. The other bikes I'm looking at are the Santa Cruz Nickel and Butcher. I can't figure out how much travel I really "need". I'm currently riding a 2nd generation Heckler, which works very well for the trails I ride in Pisgah, Dupont, and Bent Creek. I don't do a lot of jumping or big drops, but I like to get in the air when I can, and the roots and rocks can get fairly large. I guess I would call myself an aggressive trail rider.

So, what bike are you riding and what do you like/dislike about it? What are your favorite trails? What's your riding style?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Brap!

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1280282963

Here is my new Morewood Mbuzi, this thing is fun! I ride in Bent Creek and in Pisgah, I love Black Mtn trail, Bennett, Farlow, etc. Richard from Morewood is beyond helpful, the frame is burly, low, and it wheelies, rails, and pops off a lip great.
    [
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What bike and trails do you ride?-img_2221.jpg  

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Love that Morewood paint job, looks like an old school fighter plane. Just needs some teeth.

Bloated Cubs Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehick

Here is my new Morewood Mbuzi, this thing is fun! I ride in Bent Creek and in Pisgah, I love Black Mtn trail, Bennett, Farlow, etc. Richard from Morewood is beyond helpful, the frame is burly, low, and it wheelies, rails, and pops off a lip great.
    [

Is that a chicken coop in the background? I'm getting hungry!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I was actually thinking about the Shova, but I'm not sure if I want to stick with the shock rate of a single pivot. I want an air shock, so the falling rate tends to blow through the travel. Have you ridden the Mbuzi with an air shock?

mtbr member
    You seem to be interested in going with one of the smaller, "boutique" brands. If that is so, I'd definitely look at the Banshee for solidity. I'd also look at Pivot, they have those at The Hub and at Motion Makers.
    If you're looking at the big brands too, consider the Giant Trance/Reign. Wife just got an Anthem and I'm super impressed by it's quality.
    EDITTED FOR accuracy.

I can't believe my 29" hardtail riding arse is offering opinions on "trail bikes" - wtf do I know anyway?
    Last edited by Mike Brown; 07-28-2010 at 11:34 AM.

pronounced may-duh
    My .02

I think there is too much climbing here for a free ride bike. I like a 5-6" travel trail bike that was designed for climbing as well as descending. I don't do jumps and hucks so I can have my bike set up fairly light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24
    I was actually thinking about the Shova, but I'm not sure if I want to stick with the shock rate of a single pivot. I want an air shock, so the falling rate tends to blow through the travel. Have you ridden the Mbuzi with an air shock?

I called Richard from Morewood, and he offered to meet me at bent creek to arrange a test ride, and his Mbuzi had an X Fusion air rear shock, X fusion apparently sent him stuff to test. I thought the shock would suck, but it felt great. I could not bottom it, and I brought a shock pump to get a good almost 30% sag. Morewood's local support is underrated! I felt fast first run, I would not want a bike if I had to slow down just to get on it.
    This bike is simple, but it fricking rips. If you ride a meduim you can try mine, or I bet Richard would let you ride his, his is air and air, lighter and a little more xc than mine. A fox air rear would work well, and be not so bank as my rich man shock I got, and lighter. I do enough DH to warrant a coil, and I could care less about weight. Man I was one of those guys who would hard sell you on a linkage bike, but after breaking 2 Reign X frames in a row, i want something burly. I weigh 140, and should not be breaking frames like that.
    The first time I saw a Shova, the guy left me down Greenslick on it, and I was on a burly Reign X. I did not get it! Morewoods give up no speed at all to linkage rigs, and the design adds buttloads of stiffness. They have such good pop. I also can drive it down or just call Morewood if I have a problem, they are in Fletcher. My rear shock and headset folks are here, too, which makes life nice.
    Yes, those are chickens. Anybody want my rooster?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    As you shop, you may consider the Giant Reign. It's a 6" ( a little more than the Trance) travel bike that climbs better than my hardtail. Maybe not as hipster as a Morewood or a Santa Cruz or a Banshee or whatever, but every bit as solid.

Gabe.....
    A full susp. bike that climbs better than a hardtail?..........now that's cool. Though I am scep...
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehick

[

Second on the Mbuzi, that is the exact one I ride. Is that a Double Barrel rear shock? How you like it? I have a DHX air and was thinking of swapping in a coil.

Brian

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Transition Covert is worth checking out. Personally I prefer hardtails much easier to pedal.
    http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Covert.cfm

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I looked at the Covert. I guess I figured if I was going to get a single pivot, I might as well get a Morewood Shova or Santa Cruz Nickel/Butcher. Plus, my wife says I need to make my 30.9 KS seatpost fit the new frame, so there you go. I have had a Giant Trance X and Reign X, and I really liked both. I'm a bit scared about the pivot durability in the wet conditions around here. Pretty much the same concern I have about the Banshee, except I can't really buy a Trance or Reign frame.

I'm pretty much torn about how much travel is really needed around here. Black Mountain, Bennett Gap, and even a trail or two in Dupont can make 6" feel about right, but really, 5" should be enough for a semi-skilled rider... I'm thinking Shova, Spitfire, Nickel for 5 inches or the Mbuzi or Butcher for 6". I have a Pike I would like to transfer over, so I would probably want to bump up to a slightly bigger fork if I go with the Mbuzi/Butcher. This is difficult, but I must admit that I'm enjoying the process

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    No Smokebikes, it's true!.....although my hardtail is a 35+ lb rig with a ridiculously steep HA that I use as a trail bike. I forgot to mention that part.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Get a Pivot. they rocket up hill and I have not been left on a downhill yet. Most of the time actually I am doing all the passing. The Pivots really shine when you get them up to speed. I ride a Mach 5 and love it. Have riden some Konas, Treks,and Cannondales in the past and this one makes them all look second rate. I have also wanted to try the Gary Fisher Roscoe though. Liberty bikes is selling a pimped out one for next to nothing in a large frame 19.5". Fully loaded to with x.0 rp24 etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I don't care much for Fisher because of their G2 geometry. If I want to replace the fork, I'm stuck. I would love to get a Pivot, but it's a bit out of my price range. I really should keep it around $1500.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    So why do you want to give up the Heckler again (asks a fellow happy Heckler rider . . .)? I think you just have RBS (restless bike syndrome). I'll admit, I was eyeing the Banshee Rune recently . . .

XC Champion
    May 2006
    +1 for Morewood. I've got a Shova - ridden it all over Pisgah and I can't think of a more perfect bike for our local trails.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    i ride a cow

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I left Santa Cruz a few years ago and now all I want is an SC. I would say get the Nickel or Butcher. The Nickel can take the abuse from what I have been hearing from SC and others, but over all you are looking at less than .5lbs diff between the Butcher or Nickel. If you are thinking Spitfire then definitely the Nickel. If you want a pimped out Heckler then get the Butcher.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman
    So why do you want to give up the Heckler again (asks a fellow happy Heckler rider . . .)? I think you just have RBS (restless bike syndrome). I'll admit, I was eyeing the Banshee Rune recently . . .
    Yeah, that's about it. My Heckler works very well, but it's a bit of a tank. It's getting a bit old, and the parts on it are mostly freeride stuff, so I'm looking to lighten things up a bit. I'm probably looking at complete bikes now. I had a Giant Trance X and Reign X in the past, and I loved both bikes. Neither was quite right, so the Reign is currently at the top of my list. I am still considering the Santa Cruz Nickel or Butcher, but neither kit comes with a thru-axle fork around the $2000 mark. I am still intrigued by the Banshee, but nobody's given me any good info on the bushings in wet conditions. I've only lived here a year, but it seems to be wet quite often. That's also my main reservations about multi-pivots like the Giant, but the lifetime warranty would be nice if I ever actually kept a bike long enough for it to need replacing

How much did that cow cost?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Have you considered a Nomad? I was riding a Cannondale Gemini for my DH rig and it couldn't pedal for [email protected], build up a Nomad and have taken it on a few rides and it climbs better than my Superlight, and goes down better than anything Ive ever ridden. All in, using a few parts I had, I built it for well under 2g...which seems about your price range....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm resurrecting this thread, because it's interesting to see what people are using around here. My wife says I've used my bike allowance for the year, so I'm living vicariously. I'm still on my 2005 Heckler, but I put a Lyrik, Monarch RT3 shock, and Stan's Flow rims with a Saint hub on it. I did buy a Superlight converted to 1x10 for the majority of the trails in Dupont and Bent Creek, but the Heckler is such a good bike for Pisgah proper. My poor road bike must be getting a bit depressed!

I've been seeing a lot of Stumpys, Superlights, and Ibis lately. Saw a few Rocky Mountains lately, too. Is there a shop in the area that carries those? It's good to see a balance. Gotta keep all those shops in business! I do miss Bikeways a bit, though... Anybody riding 650b's? I figure those will probably be on my next bike... I tried a Tallboy the other day, but the wheels were quite flexy. What do y'all got?

mtbr member
    Stumpjumper EVO 26. Have a hard time believing there's anything out there that would be much better for what I'm doing. Semi-epics focused on maximum fun. Don't need to race to the top but need to be able to crank out big climbs and long days in the saddle. Jumps, drops, stupid lines on Bennett, Farlow, and Black, etc... Basically I want to be able to climb for hours then treat it like my DH bike on the way down.

I don't race and I don't do monster rides so this thing is perfect. FYI I run a dropper post, 2x10 with a chainguide, short stem/wide bar, and beefy tires. ~28 lbs which I'm more than happy with.

The best part about modern trailbikes is the versatility you get. I use mine for everything from tamer trails like Paris mtn and Dupont to private DH shuttles, the roughest stuff in pisgah, wilson creek etc... My favorite trails are technical pisgah singletracks like Pilot Rock, Squirrel Gap, Buckwheat, Bennett, etc...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What bike and trails do you ride?-img_4657-s.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Stumpjumper Evo would definitely be on my short list. Nice looking bike! How do you like those tires in the wet?

Dig it!
    If I don't end up on a 29er this more than likely be my next ride.
    Should you do more trail work?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What about an Ibis Mojo HD? I have one and love it. I know there is a shop at Pisgah that rents them.

Patrick

mtbr member
    Hoping to ride some trails at paris mtn this fall/winter. I have trails in my woods and I hit those alot... pretty steep climbs and some nasty downhill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    specialized enduro for Pisgah

Members who have read this thread: 0