Western North Carolina Trail Systems, Are they open year round?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Western North Carolina Trail Systems, Are they open year round?

Ive looked online at Pisgah and Dupont but wasn't sure if they are open year round. I'm currently in S Fla , year round riding, I'm planning a trip this coming summer to the Murphy area, but also will be visiting Brevard and Asheville to ride a bit. I used to live in Hendersonville and I am thinking of moving back to the area, One of the factors is year round riding access. Are there other trail systems other than Pisgah and Dupont ? I didnt start riding until after I left NC and most of my current riding is more XCish with mostly mild elevation changes, so I am guessing the riding will be significantly different than what I'm used to, are there and bike shops / companies that offer guided tours?
    Thanks for any replies.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes they are open year round, but no you cannot ride them every day of the year. Snow and ice can potentially limit your winter riding. The riding is different as you said. I have ridden with Patrick from Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures, Asheville, NC and enjoyed it. I would also check out Pisgah Area SORBA , Sycamore Cycles | Brevard & Hendersonville , The Hub and Backcountry Outdoors, featuring the Pisgah Tavern | Your Adventure Store , and Liberty Bikes | Locally Owned For Over 30 Years are all pretty active in the area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue426 View Post
    Ive looked online at Pisgah and Dupont but wasn't sure if they are open year round. I'm currently in S Fla , year round riding, I'm planning a trip this coming summer to the Murphy area, but also will be visiting Brevard and Asheville to ride a bit. I used to live in Hendersonville and I am thinking of moving back to the area, One of the factors is year round riding access. Are there other trail systems other than Pisgah and Dupont ? I didnt start riding until after I left NC and most of my current riding is more XCish with mostly mild elevation changes, so I am guessing the riding will be significantly different than what I'm used to, are there and bike shops / companies that offer guided tours?
    Thanks for any replies.
    There are other trail systems fairly close in NC including Tsali and Kerr Scott/Warrior creek, if XC style is more for you. Dupont is also a great XC style system and a load of fun.

Pisgah is definitely more challenging, but also a lot of fun. You will learn to climb hills, for sure. As for year round riding, Dupont is generally good to go almost all year unless we get into the freeze/thaw like this year. As was indicated by 2morrow, Pisgah's higher elevations can mean a good bit of snow and ice for a few months. But hey, just get a fat bike!

There are a few seasonal trail closure in Pisgah (Apr 15 - Oct 15). but there is still plenty of fun stuff open.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue426 View Post
    are there and bike shops / companies that offer guided tours?
    Just wanted to +1 the suggestion to call Patrick at Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures, Asheville, NC. He'll set you up with a guide and a route that suits your style and they're flexible enough to change on the fly.

(Not an employee, but I know/ride with a lot of the guides. Good people.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post
    Just wanted to +1 the suggestion to call Patrick at Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures, Asheville, NC. He'll set you up with a guide and a route that suits your style and they're flexible enough to change on the fly.

(Not an employee, but I know/ride with a lot of the guides. Good people.)
    Another +1 for Patrick and Chris. Same disclaimer as above.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Formerly of Kent
    If it's on National Forest land, it's open year round.

Of course, it might not be adviseable, or in good taste, to ride at certain times.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for all the replies, all the info should keep me busy for awhile.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not to nitpick but there are certain trails in Pisgah that close seasonally, such as North Slope. That said, there are so many other great trails in the Asheville area that it's not an issue.

Regarding tours, I'm pretty sure the Bike Farm folks offer them but most people just buy a map and self-guide. This is the source I usually use to plan my routes: Pisgah Area SORBA Pisgah Routes