• 07-18-2014
    bank5
    Western NC Family Trip Things to do and camping near Chimney Rock
    I'm heading to Asheville this weekend. I'm planning to leave on Thursday (assuming the skies are clear) and hike Grandfather Mountain.

Any recommendations on a place to camp between Grandfather Mountain and Chimney Rock?

On Friday I'm planning to hike Chimney Rock then will meet up with my family (wife and 15 month old) and drive to Asheville.

Any recommendations for things to do around Asheville that are unique to the area?

I'm thinking about taking my daughter to the fish hatchery and doing some of the hikes off of 276. We won't be able to do any long hikes but we have a Bob jogging stroller so if the trails are wide enough and not too steep we can take that.
  • 07-18-2014
    scmtbiker
    From Grandfather take the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville. Stop at a lot of the exits and pull offs. The closer you get to Asheville the better the views. If you are going to the hatchery visit Looking Glass Falls while you are there. Park somewhere on the side of the road and play in the Davidson River. Let your baby feel the cold mountain water on his/her toes. If there is time after that, take the 30 minute drive over to Caesars Head State Park in SC. Take the short hike through the Devils Kitchen then come back to the overlook.

On the way to or back from Caesars Head stop at Hooker Falls in DuPont. It's calm enough there to take you baby into the water and watch the falls. From there you can also hike to Tripple and High Falls (maybe a mile). Tons of stuff to do there. You may even want to spend a night in Brevard.
  • 07-22-2014
    bank5
    Thanks, great recommendations. I love Brevard. Our time will be somewhat limited, but we'll try to get as much in as possible.
  • 07-22-2014
    mbmb65
    Western NC Family Trip Things to do and camping near Chimney Rock
    In Asheville, the Bilmore estate is nice. They even have a trail duster suitable for your trailer. Downtown Asheville is plenty entertaining, with plenty of eateries and drinkeries. You could even do a brewery tour in town, if your into that sort of thing. Bent creek has a slew of stroller friendly trails, more so than the hatchery area.
  • 07-22-2014
    bank5
    ^ Thanks, we'll be staying right next to the Biltmore. I've done the tour before and it was fantastic, but not ideal for 15 month. She would enjoy running around the grounds but tickets are pricey if I remember correctly. We may go to Bent Creek if we don't have time to make it to Brevard. However it will make me jealous of all the mtbers flying by.
  • 07-22-2014
    Mike Brown
    NC Arboretum. Carrier/Amboy Parks. UNCA Botanical Gardens. WNC Nature Center. Splashville.

All free or relatively low cost, kid and stroller friendly. The Nature Center's actually pretty cool.

I'd also recommend the Old 70 Greenway and downtown Black Mountain.
  • 07-23-2014
    Numb Bum
    I second the Nature Center, it is a small zoo with a playground, petting area and cool animals and kiosks. Near Chimney Rock, take a Lake Lure boat tour. There is a kid's trail at Chimney Rock SP as well.