Weekend conditions -DuPont, Pigsah- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Weekend conditions -DuPont, Pigsah

Some friends and I are looking to come down your all's way this weekend and ride but I am curious about whether the trails will be rideable. We're looking to hit DuPont and the old fort area in NC and Issaqueena in SC. As it stands Saturday and Sunday look good but there's a 40% chance of rain on Friday. My question is if any of our spots will be rideable over the weekend, after the rain?

mtbr member
    If you squint and look at the mountains just right, they spell the word AWESOME. It will remain the same unless there's a lot of rain/ snow.
    Last edited by Mike Brown; 01-20-2015 at 07:35 PM.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Supposed to rain the next 36hrs. Sun might be out tomorrow PM but trails will be poo for days.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Unfortunately what he said

Big Mac

It does not look good.

mtbr member
    Sunday is supposed to be nice.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Most of DuPont will be fine this weekend if you don't mind 40 -50 degrees with a few light showers possible, it is Mountain Biking after all. Lots of sandy soil in Dupont helps drainage and a lot of the trails are old double track that sit on piles of old Dupont Plant crush and run gravel they use to lay down, (I know 'cause I worked at DuPont and then Sterling). No big sustained down pours have occurred overnight or today, mainly just periods of moderate to light rain with breaks of no rain in between. The wee hours of Saturday are suppose to be a 50% chance of a snow/rain mix 'till about 6 am and taper off to 15% by noon, then 0% by late afternoon and a sunny Sunday to follow. Sure there will be some muddy spots, but most of those spots are always muddy. I would not waist time on Three Lakes Trail and the top of Mine Mountain will be slick, but unless you have to have pristine conditions, ride on. Modify your riding to the conditions and use some common sense and your impact will be negligible. Miles and miles of lightly used gravel in the area to ride as well. This area is a temperate rain forest and a lot of the newish folks who move up during the light rain drought years we had in the recent past don't understand that the weather we are having/had over the past few year is the norm. I have even seen some of our local, vocal "guardians of the trails" out riding in conditions far worse than this so no lectures please. (One drizzly day I caught up with two of these more well known "guardians of the trails" going down Jim Branch and at the bottom one of them started to lecture me, but when I quickly pointed out that he and his friend were also riding bikes on "a day like today", he just stopped talking, fiddled with the rat tail of hair on the nape of his neck and then rode away without another word. His friend did say "I guess we should practice what we preach", and rode off with a sheepish grin.)

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    Most of DuPont will be fine this weekend if you don't mind 40 -50 degrees with a few light showers possible, it is Mountain Biking after all. Lots of sandy soil in Dupont helps drainage and a lot of the trails are old double track that sit on piles of old Dupont Plant crush and run gravel they use to lay down, (I know 'cause I worked at DuPont and then Sterling). No big sustained down pours have occurred overnight or today, mainly just periods of moderate to light rain with breaks of no rain in between. The wee hours of Saturday are suppose to be a 50% chance of a snow/rain mix 'till about 6 am and taper off to 15% by noon, then 0% by late afternoon and a sunny Sunday to follow. Sure there will be some muddy spots, but most of those spots are always muddy. I would not waist time on Three Lakes Trail and the top of Mine Mountain will be slick, but unless you have to have pristine conditions, ride on. Modify your riding to the conditions and use some common sense and your impact will be negligible. Miles and miles of lightly used gravel in the area to ride as well. This area is a temperate rain forest and a lot of the newish folks who move up during the light rain drought years we had in the recent past don't understand that the weather we are having/had over the past few year is the norm. I have even seen some of our local, vocal "guardians of the trails" out riding in conditions far worse than this so no lectures please. (One drizzly day I caught up with two of these more well known "guardians of the trails" going down Jim Branch and at the bottom one of them started to lecture me, but when I quickly pointed out that he and his friend were also riding bikes on "a day like today", he just stopped talking, fiddled with the rat tail of hair on the nape of his neck and then rode away without another word. His friend did say "I guess we should practice what we preach", and rode off with a sheepish grin.)
    Seriously?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Seriously?
    Well written though. I love a good short story.
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by 450VoltsDC View Post
    Well written though. I love a good short story.
    Indeed, it does make for a good read. Fictitious as it may be.

mtbr member
    Mbmb65 is actually Jim Cantori.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Mbmb65 is actually Jim Cantori.
    I suspect that you mean "Jim Cantore"? And not "Jim Cantori". But anyway, my comments were directed toward the Woody and Chuck story, and not about the weather. Carry on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The riding and weather on Saturday afternoon was great. Rode up Pinnacle Mt. Rd from the Fawn Lake parking area to access the Turkey Knob, Briery Fork, Twin Oak area and did not see another person 'till riding up Rifle to check out the improved Hickory Mountain.