Weather advise- Mtbr.com

Thread: Weather advise

VT1
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Weather advise

So we're supposed to head to Davidson Campground tomorrow evening. I'm getting mixed results when I search for the weather forecast. Just trying to get some insight from some locals. We're about 4.5 hrs away, and definitely don't want to miss a couple days of riding due to ice/snow or closed trails or roads!
    We don't mind riding in snowy or iced trails, just looking for info.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Well it rained there today. It may rain more tonight. Then daytime temps just above freezing on Wednesday. So wet trails, followed by freeze thaw will probably provide poor trail conditions. If the temperature remains below freezing on Wednesday, then probably your best bet. Or ride earlier. Daytime high temperature will be around 3 PM. If anything closes it will be forest roads. You can still ride trails, although you probably shouldn't in these conditions.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

VT1
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    That's what I was thinking! I don't want to destroy the trails, and definitely don't want our first time in Pisgah to be like this.
    Thanks for the time Timothy!

mtbr member
    VT1- you'll be fine. It's a vacation. The only bad part is some of the best trails from the campground (lower Black, Bennett) are most impacted by freeze/thaw and rain. Check in with the Hub, they'll give you the low-down. If you don't mind driving to ride, Squirrel Gap, Farlow, and Laurel>Pilot are traditionally some of the more durable trails. Short drives. Farlow and Laurel see pretty high elevation, so good chance of snow and/or butt-ass cold.

VT1
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    VT1- you'll be fine. It's a vacation. The only bad part is some of the best trails from the campground (lower Black, Bennett) are most impacted by freeze/thaw and rain. Check in with the Hub, they'll give you the low-down. If you don't mind driving to ride, Squirrel Gap, Farlow, and Laurel>Pilot are traditionally some of the more durable trails. Short drives. Farlow and Laurel see pretty high elevation, so good chance of snow and/or butt-ass cold.
    Mike, that's the motivation we need this morning. We've spent most of the night contemplating what to do. Of course we want to ride Black and Bennett, but there are so many trails there im sure we'll be ok. We definitely planned on driving to some of the other popular trails, and am glad you mentioned those trails. We don't mind some snow, just don't want to damage the trail or ride in mud all day. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If this is your first time in Pisgah, unless you consider yourself pretty advanced, I'd stay away from Farlow and Laurel/Pilot. I see a lot of people come up here, get that recommendation, then hate it because it's so far over their head and they end up hiking their bike the whole time.

I'm probably not the best person to give advice on where to ride when it's this wet (I'm moderately new here), but I've ridden both North Slope and the Sycamore trails when they were this wet (some yesterday even) and they were fine. Just be conscious that some sections near creeks get really soaked and slippery, so don't fly into anything faster than you are comfortable carrying speed in muddy rock. Particularly on upper Sycamore, there is a section just after the tight-ish switchback that always holds water and has a few rolldowns, if you fly into it not expecting it, you'll slide out. Both of those together (if you loop N Slope both ways) would end up being about 12-13m and is right at the campground, although it's not the most exciting riding in the area, it's fun.

Maybe Avery would be another option? I'd probably avoid Spencer and Black, I'd think Bennett would be pretty sketchy when wet, especially the upper section with those rock slabs, but more manageable towards the lower sections. The rocky side of Daniel's may be another option, just stay away from the edges and be conscious of the section it gets narrower towards the bottom. The creek side would probably be pretty nasty right now.

I rode yesterday and didn't see any ice, so I'd come expecting mud and general wetness. Make sure your tire/bike setup is right for those conditions, too.

Formerly of Kent
    Avery would be a good suggestion, I think. It's a super eroded old road bed. Aside from the very top, hard to imagine doing much if any damage by riding it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Avery Creek, Buckwheat, Bennett, Black, all probably good choices. You can take forest roads up and ride down. Aside from lower Black you really can't do more damage to the others given they are already washed out eroded and such. Going to be a cold one for sure.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

VT1
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Guys thanks for the info! We've decided to bring the camper just for comfort reasons. I'll keep those trails in mind. Thanks yall

mtbr member
    That's a good point about Farlow and Laurel/ Pilot. May hold up well, but some of the most difficult routes in the forest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Were you guys the group from Canada I met yesterday at the grassy lot?

VT1
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    So far, we've had a blast. We decided to hit DuPont yesterday. We hit Cedar Rock, Big Rock, Burnt Mtn, micayah(sic) and climbed up and then descended Ridgeline. One hell of a damn ride!

VT1
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Adodero, that was not us bud.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No worries, just wanted to check.

Glad you guys are enjoying the trip. I rode yesterday and things were not as wet as I expected. It was my first time riding on ice, which was interesting for sure.