Wasted effort- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wasted effort

Pisgah-Pale-Alien

Wasted effort

This is about volunteer trailwork and the last thing I wanna do is discourage the good deeds that so many dedicate their time and efforts to. But I see drain work done short all the time especially in DuPont, where I think its Upstate Sorba that does the organizing. The latest example was on Laurel Ridge where all the drains have had the organics and silt removed below the berm but the berm still remains. This does nothing to alleviate the blown out drain and is all wasted effort on the volunteers part. The water/mud/silt will still be there the next rain. To properly clear a drain you must shave the dirt with your hoe or McCloud to the far (uphill) side of the drain and outslope the whole thing as the original trailbuilder did. If you see silt in the drain vs hard clay, you didn't go far enough. I am no longer a TCL for PAS but do my share with a small group of ranger sanctioned mtnbikkers in Pisgah. I am not bitching or inviting flack, I am merely saying it's a shame to see such wasted effort by well intending volunteers that will do nothing in regards to helping the trail drain. If you are a TCL please teach your people well so the work will be effective and lasting.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    This is about volunteer trailwork and the last thing I wanna do is discourage the good deeds that so many dedicate their time and efforts to. But I see drain work done short all the time especially in DuPont, where I think its Upstate Sorba that does the organizing. The latest example was on Laurel Ridge where all the drains have had the organics and silt removed below the berm but the berm still remains. This does nothing to alleviate the blown out drain and is all wasted effort on the volunteers part. The water/mud/silt will still be there the next rain. To properly clear a drain you must shave the dirt with your hoe or McCloud to the far (uphill) side of the drain and outslope the whole thing as the original trailbuilder did. If you see silt in the drain vs hard clay, you didn't go far enough. I am no longer a TCL for PAS but do my share with a small group of ranger sanctioned mtnbikkers in Pisgah. I am not bitching or inviting flack, I am merely saying it's a shame to see such wasted effort by well intending volunteers that will do nothing in regards to helping the trail drain. If you are a TCL please teach your people well so the work will be effective and lasting.
    Upstate SORBA does not organize trail work in DuPont. That would be Friends of Dupont with Pisgah Area SORBA. And the trail work is at the direction of DuPont FS. You should address any concerns directly with DuPont FS staff.

mtbr member
    Upstate SORBA often joins PAS and FODF, but on an auxiliary basis.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Thanks Timothy, I know most SORBA presidents in a 3 state radius and half the peeps on FODF but since my observations tend to fall on deaf ears I thought I'd give shout-out to the general public in the hopes that it might start a conversation with the right TCL's. I did not mean to suggest it was any person or group specifically doing the insufficient work.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for bringing it up FatTireGoose. I've seen it at other trails and thought the same thing.

People like to leave the berm to cheat on during off camber turns. It's such a common practice that I was reluctant to remove the berms when doing some work last fall but had rather ride without the berm than see the trail wash out.