Warrior Creek, OVT and Dark Mountain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Warrior Creek, OVT and Dark Mountain

I'm planning on going there for the first time tomorrow. I'll probably bike Warrior Creek, camp and then bike OVT and DM the next day. Are the trail maps online? Also, any recommendations for the trip and must do trails?

29er for life!!
    Brushy Mountain Cyclists Club Should be some maps at this link.I have only ridden warrior but dark mountain is great too

Thread Killer
    They've got trail maps at the Visitor's Center, but they're a bit outdated. Warrior and Dark Mountain are your go-tos -- "it's hard to get lost out there." BURN course map (Dark Mountain): http://www.burn24hour.com/course/; Warrior Creek course map: Course 6 Hours of Warrior Creek

We were there on Saturday for a NC MTB Alliance (SORBA) meeting, and I was really impressed with the facilities and the super-nice staff. The Army Corps folks and volunteers were awesome!

mtbr member
    Post a message on the NTMBA forum, and I'll bet you could get a guided tour.

Northeast Tennessee Mountain Bike Association Forum • Index page
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    From Kerr Scott Trail Guide
    All routes are numbered and identified with permanent signage that is coordinated to the Dark Mountain trail map. Signs also have red and blue arrows. The red route is shorter, easier and less technical...perfect for new mountain bikers. The blue route includes the entire 7.5-mile BURN 24-Hour Challenge course.
    Pay attention to the blue arrows and you'll be fine.
    Zippity do dah...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to the trip out. What's the better campground - Warrior Creek or Bandits Roost?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Camped at both, here are the differences that count to me.

Bandits roost has better showers and bathroom, can get a good private quite site if you hunt around and are lucky.

WC is a better place to find a good quite and private site, but the facilities are not as nice and the showers are a good hike away from most campsites.

Either way they are both nice, if you like good facilities then BR if privacy and peace then WC.

Hope that helps

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by panther1 View Post
    Camped at both, here are the differences that count to me.

Bandits roost has better showers and bathroom, can get a good private quite site if you hunt around and are lucky.

WC is a better place to find a good quite and private site, but the facilities are not as nice and the showers are a good hike away from most campsites.

Either way they are both nice, if you like good facilities then BR if privacy and peace then WC.

Hope that helps
    Perfect, thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The campground at Warrior Creek has a brand new bath house very close to camp sites 1 - 21. Those camp sites are also very close to the trail crossing / trail head. The only big difference is that Warrior Creek has water and electric at every camp site. Bandit's Roost does not if that matters.

BR is just fine as well. Usually more crowded. At BR you can access the bike portion of OVT and ride it to Dark Mountain and then ride OVT back to you camp site at BR. With this option - just drive to warrior creek.

Can't go wrong really.

mtbr member
    Make sure to hit the taqueria for lunch... off of 286B.

-Jimmy

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity_now View Post
    The campground at Warrior Creek has a brand new bath house very close to camp sites 1 - 21. Those camp sites are also very close to the trail crossing / trail head. The only big difference is that Warrior Creek has water and electric at every camp site. Bandit's Roost does not if that matters.

BR is just fine as well. Usually more crowded. At BR you can access the bike portion of OVT and ride it to Dark Mountain and then ride OVT back to you camp site at BR. With this option - just drive to warrior creek.

Can't go wrong really.
    Thanks, that's what I did. Camped at site 13. Great sites and a nice new bath house and close to the trail crossing.

I had a blast. My favorites were Warrior Creek, the downhill section on trail #6 at Dark Mountain and trail #8 on Dark Mountain. OVT had many sweet sections too

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ridden WC before, what's dark mountain like in comparison?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmbass View Post
    Ridden WC before, what's dark mountain like in comparison?
    Dark mountain is more of a traditional mountain bike trail.
    Zippity do dah...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    they are all great. I havent gotten a chance on Warrior Creek