Vote for Beer- Mtbr.com

Thread: Vote for Beer

Pisgah-Pale-Alien

Vote for Beer

If you are a resident of Transylvania County then you are most likely aware of two things; one, that a vote for selling alcohol in the county or keeping it dry are on this Novembers ballot and two, that as cool and upbeat as this area is there is still a lot of antiquated backwoods mentality.

Ironically some of the same people who want the county to stay dry are the same people who want us to be moving forward with jobs and economic development. Henderson County would not have scored Sierra Nevada if they hadn't voted their county wet just a few short years before. Oskar Blues also chose our neighboring county to the east for their Reeb Ranch, not us. The existing Shoals Farm and it's proximity to DSRF was of course attractive for them but being able to sell beer was at the top of their list and they could not have done that across the county line to the west.

The important thing here is that this vote is going to be close, really close. The people that want us to move forward as a progressive vibrant outdoor community along with a large retirement population will undoubtedly be for alcohol but those that will appose it are many, they are dug in deep and they rarely miss a chance to vote.

The tragedy here will be if we all think this is a sure win and stay home on election day, only to find out the opposition came in droves. This is a huge deal for Brevard and the county to move forward. Please get out and vote if you are a resident, check dates and locations for early voting too. This is going to really matter for our future as a welcome place for businesses and tourists to be attracted here in the years to come.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Absentee ballot filled out and in the mail tomorrow.

Big Mac

Vote for Beer

I no longer live in Transylvania county, or I'd surely vote for beer. What reasoning do the naysayers have? Is it religious based?

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    What reasoning do the naysayers have? Is it religious based?
    Here is the opposition groups' webpage, it should answer your question.

keepTCdry.com

Here is a quote from their page.

"But as far as we are concerned, this is not about “rights” as much as it is about “righteousness.” We do not believe that it is morally right for a business to sell alcohol anywhere (next to a school, a church, a daycare, etc.). Alcohol, along with the dangers and evils associated with it, is a plague in our society."
    Pisgah Forest NC

Rogue Exterminator
    Is it religious based?
    Whether or not they admit it, of course it is.

As a Christian, I fail to understand what motivates many to have this view on alcohol when it clearly is written in the bible that Jesus turned water in to wine. Besides, not selling doesn't stop the drinking when all you have to do is drive a few more miles to get it.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Besides, not selling doesn't stop the drinking when all you have to do is drive a few more miles to get it.
    Exactly.
    Pisgah Forest NC

Big Mac

Vote for Beer

Well, clearly they admit it. I love how they attempt to impose their "righteousness' on everyone. It's an ignorant, myopic, crock of sh!t.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think you should be able to buy beer.

But I agree that there should not be a sleazy redneck beer joint anywhere (next to a school, a church, a daycare, etc.).

If you disagree with me you are an ignorant, myopic, crock of sh!t.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

As a Christian, I fail to understand what motivates many to have this view on alcohol when it clearly is written in the bible that Jesus turned water in to wine. Besides, not selling doesn't stop the drinking when all you have to do is drive a few more miles to get it.
    This^. You cannot make the case for prohibition of alcohol consumption using Scripture. And frankly, pretty much every belief a Christian has, particularly pertaining to morality, should be based on Scripture and backed by Scripture.

There are plenty of scriptural prohibitions against drunkenness, but not against the consumption itself. As stated, Jesus himself turned water into wine during a wedding party, and that after they had run out of wine! No way would the Lord himself lead others into a "sinful activity" if that activity were indeed, sinful, according to the laws of God.
    Having said that.
    As far as this quote: "Alcohol, along with the dangers and evils associated with it, is a plague in our society."

Like everything, it is easy to blame the problem on the alcohol, rather than those abusing the alcohol. Like any irresponsible behavior, it is the one engaged in said behavior causing the problems.
    To be sure, alcohol isn't for everyone. Same as firearms, driving a car, or anything else that carries a responsibility and certain level of maturity. Most things done in moderation are okay. Those who tend toward addictive personalities certainly would do well to avoid any substance that would potentially cause them to misuse the substance.
    Irresponsible and wreckless behavior is what causes the problems, not the mere presence of the substance whatever that substance may be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well, clearly they admit it. I love how they attempt to impose their "righteousness' on everyone. It's an ignorant, myopic, crock of sh!t.
    No, it is simply a viewpoint that differs from yours.

Big Mac

Vote for Beer

Quote Originally Posted by WNCGoater View Post
    No, it is simply a viewpoint that differs from yours.
    It's not the viewpoint goofy. It's the idea that their viewpoint is THE viewpoint and must be imposed on everyone. I would not expect you to understand this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I would suggest those on the other side of the fence are seeing it the same way as you, that the "pro" side feels their's is THE viewpoint that is being imposed on everyone. I personally have no dog in the fight, just participating in a discussion of local relevance.

As far as your name calling. That seems to be your modus operandi when you have nothing substantive to argue with. You don't see a simple different viewpoint, you see "ignorance" , "myoptic", and "crock of ****" simply because someone sees things differently from you.
    It seems that is the norm in our society nowadays. Everyone seems to be polarized, there is no middle ground, and when all else fails, hate those with opposing viewpoints. Call them names, discredit, smear reputations...
    We're no longer just "Americans". Everyone seems to have a cause, and "if you're not on board with my cause", you will be crucified. We seem to be more divided than we've ever been.
    Makes me sad to see it on a local level.

But you are right, I don't understand you.

Big Mac

Vote for Beer

It's a matter of choice. Not imposition. Making a thing available does not force said thing upon anyone. That is the difference, and what you seemingly cannot, or choose not, to understand. And the name calling was started by you. I simply took your cue. And you're correct, I do not see a "simple" differing viewpoint. I see a group attempting to force their belief system on everyone. Everyone has the right to choose not to buy beer. I should have the right to buy it. And I'm sorry I called you goofy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    And I'm sorry I called you goofy.
    Forget it, no harm. I'm sure I've been called worse.

I am, however, confused as to when I called names. Perhaps I owe an apology.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's been 81 years since the end of Prohibition and this is still an issue? If the opposing folks were addressing the real issues with alcohol sales ie: added police force,adding fire departments,& raising taxes for fund previous two,then I'd say it wasn't religous based. OB must not have done their homework before purchasing the farm and if that is true,I don't feel sorry....

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Saying there is still a lot of antiquated backwoods mentality is not even close. There is apparently a head shop down in Brevard that local law enforcement will not allow to erect a sign for their business, yet they can do nothing about Oskar Blues printing screens on their cans. I heard that the law enforcement in that county was up in arms about them printing little Xmas trees on their cans too, they looked like little buds, and went in there blue lights blazing and halted production. Jesus hates plants.

Alcohol does more damage than anything, but the head shop, a legitimate business... can't even have a sign.

I fail to see why this is even a votable measure. What about the separation of church and state? Oh wait, I'm supposed to pledge my allegiance under god.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    We'll take root slow, Babylon...go back in your hole

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Weight_of_Sound View Post
    I fail to see why this is even a votable measure. What about the separation of church and state? Oh wait, I'm supposed to pledge my allegiance under god.
    At the risk of being misunderstood, let me preface this by saying again, I have no dog in this fight. There are simply two sides to the issue.

It is a "votable measure" because this is America and all American's have a voice. Asking why it requires a vote is kinda like saying why do we vote for President, why not just appoint one? Well then the question begs, who gets to decide if not the voters?

There are still some "dry" counties around and typically, it requires a vote to change that. Some people are in agreement some not. So a vote will happen and the majority will decide. While we are not a pure democracy, rather a representative republic, a referendum of this type puts the power purely in the hands of the people and thus the people will decide, not a representative who has been elected by the majority.

So in this instance, we, or rather the residents of Transylvania County, will decide by pure democracy in action. Many people have died to offer this simple and sacred right. It should be protected at all costs.

The "wall of separation" is the most misquoted and apparently misunderstood of the whole of our Constitution IMO. It simply doesn't exist and frankly doesn't apply here. There is no requirement that if you hold religious beliefs you are therefore, rendered unable to have a voice in the affairs of the state.

The referendum, in and of itself, has nothing to do with religion, just some people feel their religious convictions are such that they cannot support this. Others may not support it because of any number of reasons not related to their religion or even their moral convictions. But those that are against it based on their religious beliefs are not therefore disqualified from having a voice.

The only "wall of separation" is that which prohibits our government from establishing a state religion or interfere with the free exercise of our religion regardless of the religion or no religion. That is, the Congress of the United States cannot declare an "official" religion, nor outlaw the practice of anyone's true religion.

That's kind of simplified and there are some qualifyers but that's the gist of it.
    This is actually a topic for another discussion but, in answer to the two questions you raised, perhaps I've touched on those.

And FWIW, I am a Christian (though sometimes I fail miserably and don't act like it) and I enjoy a beer or wine almost daily. I cannot support any Scriptural basis for prohibiting the consumption of alcohol because outside of the over consumption, ie. drunkenness, there is no Scripture to point to provide a basis.

Those who can, should get out and vote whichever way your conscience moves you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    If you are a resident of Transylvania County then you are most likely aware of two things; one, that a vote for selling alcohol in the county or keeping it dry are on this Novembers ballot and two, that as cool and upbeat as this area is there is still a lot of antiquated backwoods mentality.

Ironically some of the same people who want the county to stay dry are the same people who want us to be moving forward with jobs and economic development. Henderson County would not have scored Sierra Nevada if they hadn't voted their county wet just a few short years before. Oskar Blues also chose our neighboring county to the east for their Reeb Ranch, not us. The existing Shoals Farm and it's proximity to DSRF was of course attractive for them but being able to sell beer was at the top of their list and they could not have done that across the county line to the west.

The important thing here is that this vote is going to be close, really close. The people that want us to move forward as a progressive vibrant outdoor community along with a large retirement population will undoubtedly be for alcohol but those that will appose it are many, they are dug in deep and they rarely miss a chance to vote.

The tragedy here will be if we all think this is a sure win and stay home on election day, only to find out the opposition came in droves. This is a huge deal for Brevard and the county to move forward. Please get out and vote if you are a resident, check dates and locations for early voting too. This is going to really matter for our future as a welcome place for businesses and tourists to be attracted here in the years to come.
    Are these people who want economic development the same ones who oppose the Ecusta Trail because they are holding out for an industry to move in that will use the rail line? Sounds like Transylvania County needs new leadership with a vision for the future and not clinging to the past.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by zencadence View Post
    Are these people who want economic development the same ones who oppose the Ecusta Trail because they are holding out for an industry to move in that will use the rail line? Sounds like Transylvania County needs new leadership with a vision for the future and not clinging to the past.
    You could make that assumption.There is a large voting body that wants jobs for their kids but they are afraid of change. They want things the way they were back in the good ole Ecusta and DuPont days. It'll never happen.

As far as new leadership goes, we tried voting in Mark Tooley (pro Ecusta Trail) during the Republican primaries but too many well meaning folks stayed at home that day. Instead Kelvin Philips got in, the worst choice for any hope of the Trail ever happening.

This is the point of my thread. Shake off your complacency and vote, it matters more now than ever if we want to move forward. Let our voices be heard, vote the old school commissioners out in November too. Find out which ones are pro Ecusta Trail and go vote!
    Pisgah Forest NC

Evolutionsverlierer
    I see a group attempting to force their belief system on everyone. Everyone has the right to choose not to buy beer. I should have the right to buy it.
    Yup!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by YOUDO View Post
    I think you should be able to buy beer.

But I agree that there should not be a sleazy redneck beer joint anywhere (next to a school, a church, a daycare, etc.).

If you disagree with me you are an ignorant, myopic, crock of sh!t.
    I disagree with you...well partially.

I agree with not selling alcohol next to a school. However there is no reason to ban it next to churches especially since the hours of operation usually don't coincide.

Rogue Exterminator
    The solution is simple.

If you don't like alcohol, don't buy it.
    If you think it is sinful, don't have it in your home.

However, the church's job is not to remove all sin from the world but instead to teach its followers to resist sin. One can never become enlightened if the opportunity to fail is not there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I agree with not selling alcohol next to a school. However there is no reason to ban it next to churches especially since the hours of operation usually don't coincide.
    Plus in the bible belt churchs are like walgreens, they are on about every corner.

Rogue Exterminator
    True

Ironically, one of the state owned liquor store in Hendersonville is on Church St. lol

Big Mac

Vote for Beer

Because blue laws make sure of that. At least on Sunday.

Rogue Exterminator
    True, pretty silly that we have so many laws based around alcohol especially since most of them are religious based in a country that is supposed to have separation of church and state. Not to mention, most of the laws solve or stop nothing.

I bet if you took a poll asking people that push for these laws if they would approve of the government making spiritual decisions in their church, not one of them would say yes. I know I wouldn't. So why is it so hard for them to understand that other people don't want their church making decisions for everyone else?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hard to claim separation of church and state anymore when we added "under God" to the pledge and adopted "In God we trust" as our motto (putting it on our money) in '54/'56. But when fighting those godless commies you have to let everyone know where you stand, I guess.

I think the dry laws are less about religion (though the groups are usually organized around churches and such) and more about people's perception (right or wrong) of what will happen if people had access to such drinks at most hours. Sure religion is involved on some level, but probably more about safety and, as mentioned before, the increased costs associated with more police, etc. Also a healthy dose of trying to keep their county from changing (impossible), especially because the types of people moving in are completely different (at first glance) from most of the old TC population.

Is Bi-lo and the hub not in TC? That BI-LO has a pretty good selection. Does the hub only serve beer at certain hours? I remember going in there after a ride to grab a beer. It was a weekday, probably around 4 or 5pm. We sat down at the bar and no employee said a word to us, for the 5 minutes we sat there. The two dudes working on bikes wouldn't even look at us. The lady at the front said "bye" as we were leaving. My friend still holds a grudge and refuses to go back there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Transylvania county is dry, but the incorporated cities and towns have voted in the sale of alcohol. You can buy it in Brevard, Pisgah Forest and Rosman and in restaurants in those towns. FYI - the Ingles in Brevard and Mills River have a much better beer selection than the Bi-Lo. And yes, at times, the staff at the Hub can be stand-offish, especially to older riders, though we usually spend the most.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Here is the whole Q & A with the head of that organization:

Alcohol Group Wants To Keep Transylvania Dry - Brevard NC - The Transylvania Times

A pro-alcohol group has registered with the Board of Elections as of last week.

For what it's worth, the ABC store down here opens before the Sears store right next to it.

To help better explain what is going on, read this:

Nov. 4 Alcohol Vote Explained -Brevard NC - The Transylvania Times

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yep, those pesky "religious laws"

Thou shalt not kill
    Thou shalt not steal
    etc, etc, etc.

Just tends to muck up society and the natural order of things. Should do away with any moral based law because most of the laws solve or stop nothing anyway, right?

We could start with:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

While that in and of itself isn't a law per se, it begins the reasoning behind the establishment of this nation and provides the basis for all laws.
    It does mention "Creator"... as in God. So that's a no-no as this is clearly a violation of the "separation of church and state". (We won't let it bother us that this "separation", does not exist in ANY foundational document, official document, law, Constitution, Bill of Rights, etc.)
    Eliminate all this we could roll back all manner of laws "based on religion", which would in fact, eliminate all civil rights of individuals and minorities and the basic laws governing a free and civilized society.

Yepper, that's what we need to do.

mtbr member

Big Mac

Vote for Beer

Thou shalt not kill
    Thou shalt not steal
    etc, etc, etc.

Just tends to muck up society and the natural order of things. Should do away with any moral based law because most of the laws solve or stop nothing anyway, right?

We could start with:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

While that in and of itself isn't a law per se, it begins the reasoning behind the establishment of this nation and provides the basis for all laws.
    It does mention "Creator"... as in God. So that's a no-no as this is clearly a violation of the "separation of church and state". (We won't let it bother us that this "separation", does not exist in ANY foundational document, official document, law, Constitution, Bill of Rights, etc.)
    Eliminate all this we could roll back all manner of laws "based on religion", which would in fact, eliminate all civil rights of individuals and minorities and the basic laws governing a free and civilized society.

You confuse morality with religious law. Perhaps we should adopt sharia law and surely all our problems will be solved. I for one, do not need a book to tell me what is right and wrong. My parents taught me that. It's a moral code and has nothing to do with religion, and more to do with civil liberties.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by park baker View Post
    Here is the whole Q & A with the head of that organization:

Alcohol Group Wants To Keep Transylvania Dry - Brevard NC - The Transylvania Times
    Lol, after I replied earlier I wondered why I even bothered to try to guess where these people's views are based. My mindset is so far away from theirs it would be impossible for me to guess their viewpoint. I got some of it right, but it looks to be religious based as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    HAHA, you can't be serious. First off, that statement is hypocritical, because at that time not ALL men were created equal. It was their definition of a man. Maybe the idea of some religions is to treat everyone equal, but that is far from how it plays out.

Do you really think the civil rights movement/laws and religious laws have anything to do with each other. Civil rights movement happened in the 60s, last I checked your religious laws had been around much longer than that. They didn't help the slaves, the native americans before them or many more. Yes MLK was preacher and used religious law to state his case, but it was the people that stood up (and the people that listened) that caused the change.

And yes if followed correctly maybe everyone would have been treated the same from the beginning, BUT that didn't happen. That just proves how useless your religious laws are. The religious people would interpret them however they wanted to, UNTIL other people (not some nebulous creator) held them accountable.

And that is not even getting into the woman side of the equation. Oh they ate an apple, so they are beneath men.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Oh sweet ignorance is indeed bliss...

The dumbing down of America is a raving success!

Hope you guys in Transylvania County get your vote turnout and it works out the way you want.

Rogue Exterminator

Thou shalt not kill
    Thou shalt not steal
    etc, etc, etc.

We could start with:

So what you are saying is that without religion (in particular the Christian religion) that morality would not exist?

mtbr member
    Whoa, whoa, whoa... back on track.

Beer is good, ya'll.

mtbr member
    Never Mind, Sketchy D is right... not worth my time, beer is good, and I usually do really well at not getting engaged in on-line, politically based back and forths...I'm going to continue that.

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Never Mind, Sketchy D is right... not worth my time, beer is good, and I usually do really well at not getting engaged in on-line, politically based back and forths...I'm going to continue that.
    So much I want to say, but I learned that one the hard way via one of my very first posts at MTBR.

I like beer too, good luck getting it voted in for those of you in that part of the state.

Big Mac

Vote for Beer

I beer would be nice right about now.

Rogue Exterminator
    I beer would be nice right about now.
    Name:  fb.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  22.8 KB

A real one is better.

Evolutionsverlierer

Thou shalt not kill
    Thou shalt not steal
    etc, etc, etc.

We could start with:

If you need the bible to tell you among other pretty obvious things that killing someone is not right than I do not really know what to say.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thou shalt not kill
    Thou shalt not steal
    etc, etc, etc.

We could start with:

Any "Holy" book with laws and instructions on how to keep slaves should be disqualified as a source for developing ethical moral codes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The "Separation of Church and State" argument is getting old. It was there so the federal government could not place a national or official church of the state. People were still allowed, and still are allowed to express their religious views let it be in public or while casting a ballot.

Grew up in Massachusetts and stores could not be open when I was a kid. As of a few years ago stores could not sell alcohol on Sundays. Part of me agrees with this, part of me not. Same with counties/towns that are dry. It is up to the people their to decide what should happen.

Rogue Exterminator
    Yes, but no law should be made due to religious reasons.
    i.e. How some cities or states have no alcohol sales on Sundays.

Life really is quite simple.

If your faith tells you alcohol is wrong, don't drink it.
    If your faith tells you gay marriage is wrong, don't get gay married.
    If your faith tells you other religions are wrong, don't join them.
    If your faith tells you pro-choice is wrong, don't get an abortion.

etc

Basically keep your faith but don't impose it on others.

Big Mac

Vote for Beer

etc

Ha! Life may be simple, but alas, religion usually is not. 😄

Rogue Exterminator
    No it isn't. I struggle with it daily.

Evolutionsverlierer

etc

Big Mac

Vote for Beer

No it isn't. I struggle with it daily.
    Might I suggest you imbibe some beer? I find that this helps.

Rogue Exterminator
    It is part of my daily routine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SketchyD View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa... back on track.

Beer is good, ya'll.
    True.
    My vote is
    1. For all trails in DSF to be directional (climbing Burnt Mtn on a beautiful Saturday? Really?)
    2. Beer is good.
    Unfortunately I'm not a resident so you guys continue...
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Big Mac

Vote for Beer

Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    True.
    My vote is
    1. For all trails in DSF to be directional (climbing Burnt Mtn on a beautiful Saturday? Really?)
    2. Beer is good.
    Directional trails? Really?

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    True.
    My vote is
    2. Beer is good.
    Burnt mount goes up and then down no matter which direction you take it. So no matter what you have to climb before you go down and it is fun in both directions.

Anyways, sorry somebody messed up your flow.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    While we Transylvanians' try to vote for positive change, here's the county commissioner candidates views on the proposed Ecusta Trail. It's time to vote the non-progressives out and the forward thinkers in.

Commission Candidate Comments on the Ecusta Trail

Reported by The Transylvania Times September 18, 2014 | Vol. 128 - No. 75
    In front of a standing room only crowd, four candidates vying for two seats on the Transylvania County Board of Commissioners answered questions and laid out their vision for the county.
    Question 2: If WATCO, the new owner of the rail line between Brevard and Hendersonville, decides to abandon the rail line, would you support the establishment of the Ecusta Trail?

Sam Edney said similar Rails to Trails projects (process of turning unused rail line into recreational trails) have been successful and cited the Swamp Rabbit Trail in Travelers Rest, S.C. Edney said if WATCO does abandon the line, the project would be viable. He said one important component to the decision would involve what, if anything, happens at the Ecusta property. Edney said if an opportunity arose to have industry at Ecusta and the rail line could support that industry, the conversation about Rails to Trails would change.

Lee McMinn said he has spoken with Friends of the Ecusta Trail and is “very much” in favor of anything that connects Transylvania to neighboring counties. McMinn estimated the trail would contribute $20 million of economic activity between Henderson and Transylvania counties. McMinn said he has been on the Swamp Rabbit Trail, as well as the Creeper Trail in Abingdon, VA and can attest to their contribution to a small town. McMinn said he did not detect a single problem with the project that would be insurmountable, if the opportunity arose.

Kelvin Phillips said he would prefer the rail line stay for a number of years in hopes of finding an industry. Phillips said he was not “totally opposed” to Rails to Trails, except he has concerns about what it could mean for the rights of private property owners along the rail line, something he said he has dealt with personally. Phillips said if those owners agreed to give up their land, he would support the project, but his first priority is honoring private property rights.

Larry Chapman said he has cast a formal vote against the project in the past and added that as long as there is any opportunity at the Ecusta site for the need for the rail, he wants to keep that site open. Chapman said he’s spoken with the rail line owners who indicated they had no intention of abandoning the line because in today’s environment there would be no way to get EPA approval to build a new railroad. Chapman said the estimated cost of the trail construction is $20 million and questioned where that money would come from.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Burnt mount goes up and then down no matter which direction you take it. So no matter what you have to climb before you go down and it is fun in both directions.

Anyways, sorry somebody messed up your flow.
    Exactly. And not to mention the hikers and horses that come up that trail as well. I was riding it on Sunday and we stopped at the top to have a snack. We were about to start down when we heard some voices and about minute later four women on horseback come riding by. They said we were crazy for riding down it and I said I don't know how the horses rode up it. Also because the tech section is so short, I often hike back up to hit it two or more times. I even encountered a rider going down as I hiked the bike back up to ride the section again on sunday. I just popped off the trail and he was fine. I do think the bike etiquette should be reversed on sections like this and the uphill rbikers should yield. There were a bunch of folks out there sunday, hard to not see someone on the trails.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Tomorrow is the last day for early voting, 10:00am to 1:00pm at the Transylvania Co Library and Rosman Town Hall. If you miss it tomorrow, please get out on Tue Nov 4th and cast your vote for beer.

I noticed that the ballot sheet (attached below) for the alcohol vote is a bit confusing, it lists a number of questions pertaining to the various ways beer and wine could be sold in the county. Simply vote "for" for all the questions and you will be voting yes for alcohol sales in Transylvania County.

Yay beer!

Last edited by FatTireGoose; 11-01-2014 at 06:24 AM.
    Pisgah Forest NC

Rogue Exterminator
    Mark, serious question.

What will a win mean in this area?
    Everywhere I stop in Brevard, I can get beer.
    All the grocery stores I stop at, places I eat, brewery, etc and there is an ABC store near the entrance to Pisgah. I know the incorporated city of Brevard can have it, but it doesn't see many places (at least many places where there are businesses) can't have alcohol.
    If the law changes, is there something non residents that don't spend a lot of time in Brevard outside of going there to bike will ever notice?

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Mark, serious question.

What will a win mean in this area?
    Everywhere I stop in Brevard, I can get beer.
    All the grocery stores I stop at, places I eat, brewery, etc and there is an ABC store near the entrance to Pisgah. I know the incorporated city of Brevard can have it, but it doesn't see many places (at least many places where there are businesses) can't have alcohol.
    If the law changes, is there something non residents that don't spend a lot of time in Brevard outside of going there to bike will ever notice?
    Logistically yes, it will mean beer/wine sales county wide, not just within the city limits.

While it's true there's not many current businesses in the county that potential alcohol sales will benefit residences or visitors, it will make a huge difference for new business considering locating here. This is more about bringing the area up to modern standards and helping propel us out of the antiquated prohibition era we now experience. This is about progress more than convenience.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member

Religious institutions aren't in the business of prohibiting alcohol, rather they're concerned with saving souls. In this case, it's saving souls from the demonstrated evils of Drink.

Rome had no brief for prohibition nor did Luther, Zwilling or Calvin. Thank Wesley and the Methodists for recognizing the scourge of Gin in 18th Century England at a time when great forces were changing life at the bottom for the worse.

Carried to the New World by the Puritans, prohibition survives today as Protestan Clergy and committed Lay People try to keep those who act badly under the influence of alcohol from their drink. It;'s not Scripture but Altruism.

Gotta go now, beers getting warm.
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by 450VoltsDC View Post
    Religious institutions aren't in the business of prohibiting alcohol, rather they're concerned with saving souls. In this case, it's saving souls from the demonstrated evils of Drink.

Rome had no brief for prohibition nor did Luther, Zwilling or Calvin. Thank Wesley and the Methodists for recognizing the scourge of Gin in 18th Century England at a time when great forces were changing life at the bottom for the worse.

Carried to the New World by the Puritans, prohibition survives today as Protestan Clergy and committed Lay People try to keep those who act badly under the influence of alcohol from their drink. It;'s not Scripture but Altruism.

Gotta go now, beers getting warm.
    Yes, but if the church removes sin than their people will never achieve enlightenment through their struggles.

I could lock somebody in a box where they could never sin but in return, they could never achieve greatness either. With no Yin there can't be a Yang.

Big Mac

Vote for Beer

Well, sin is only a thought away. And can certainly occur in a box.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien

*county
    Pisgah Forest NC

Rogue Exterminator
    Well, sin is only a thought away. And can certainly occur in a box.
    Thoughts are temptations and having them is not sin. Acting on them may be.

Anyways, no need for the debate, I think you get the point.

Big Mac

Vote for Beer

Thoughts are temptations and having them is not sin. Acting on them may be.

Anyways, no need for the debate, I think you get the point.
    Lust? Envy? Do Christians not consider those sins? But yeah, I get your point. But some thoughts are considered a sin.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    YAY! ...we got beer and wine in Transylvania County. Thanks everyone who got out to vote.

The sad news is we got the same old backward thinking county commission voted in. So much for anything positive on the Ecusta trail until we can try again to vote the bastards out in the next election.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Beer is good!!!

Evolutionsverlierer
    Very good indeed.

Big Mac

Vote for Beer

Yay beer!

Rogue Exterminator
    Congrats on the sin....I mean win.