Visiting Concord...which bike to bring?- Mtbr.com
    Dudette

New question here. Visiting Concord...which bike to bring?

Visiting family in Concord, NC and only have room to bring one bike. Planning on going to North Meck Park and maybe Fisher Farms. Have a choice between a full squish or singlespeed fully rigid 29er. Any recommendations? Thanks!

mtbr member
    for those 2 trails or sherman, bring the 29er. if you want to have fun, ride poplar and bring the full squish. its across from concord airport. (aka beech springs)

Dudette
    Thanks for the advice...that's the one I'll go with then.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Skip North Meck and go to Poplar Tent (Beech Springs). Bring FS. Poplar Tent is the best trail in the Charlotte. I will repeat that it is a trail and not a path in the woods.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I actually love riding my single at Poplar Tent. Only reason to take a FS is if you have a long travel and want to take some of the drops. Also a quick drive to the WhiteWater Center.

spec4life???..smh...
    The trails around that area are very rooty...i know a 29er is suppose to roll over them well but iv been racing my 26 rigid in the series on those trails and it beats me so bad if i had a FS bike i think thats what id go with...

mtbr member
    Bring the 29er and ride Sherman Branch. It's a fast 11 mile loop.
    Zippity do dah...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    to my knowledge there is no racing at either Poplar Tent or Sherman Branch. Sherman is relatively (except by design) free of roots. It's worth the ride.

I'd check TarheelTrailblazers.com (the local club) for more trail info, closures, etc.

spec4life???..smh...
    Quote Originally Posted by criticalmass
    to my knowledge there is no racing at either Poplar Tent or Sherman Branch. Sherman is relatively (except by design) free of roots. It's worth the ride.

There is racing at both north meck park and fisher farms which is the two trails originally mentioned by the OP.

Dudette
    Brought the 29er and rode North Meck yesterday. Very rooty, but overall, a nice little trail. Thanks for the recommendation to bring that bike - definitely fun. I should have also specified that I would be riding with family and beginner-intermediate trails would probably be best. We were hoping to see Fisher Farms today, but it appears to be closed due to the rain we received last night. But have been checking out reviews of Sherman, and that looks like a lot of fun too. Hoping to get out at least 1-2 more times before I leave. VERY impressed with how well the trails are maintained down here!

banned
    Mar 2004
    Fisher should be fine to ride by tomorrow/Sunday. If it doesn't rain again.
    And there is a bike demo starting at 10 am!

Dudette
    Sounds like fun! What bikes will be demoed? Any women's bikes available to check out? Or smalls?

mtbr member
    I am thinking in the flat lands a 1976 Schwinn 3 speed with a big blue bananna seat would suffice.

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnNotice
    I am thinking in the flat lands a 1976 Schwinn 3 speed with a big blue bananna seat would suffice.
    that would be a blast!
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    some trails for sure

@ poplar - the bike would explode

Quote Originally Posted by BurnNotice

Dudette
    Rode Fisher today before it got nice and steamy out there. Another fun little trail - liked it better than North Meck - a little less rooty I thought and had some fun features. I think my sister appreciated the fact that the trail wasn't too long. She's a trooper though and unselfishly joined me - despite not really being "into" mountain biking. Wishing I had a few more days so I could taste more of NC's trails. Again, VERY impressed with the level of care given the trails here and how well they are labeled for the different difficulty levels. Nicely done! Already looking forward to coming down again and checking out Sherman Branch. And of course Pisgah sometime as well. So many trails...so little time!

Members who have read this thread: 0