Visiting Asheville from North Dakota- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Visiting Asheville from North Dakota

My family and I are flying down March 8-12.

My son (18) and I are renting bikes from "The Hub" on Saturday and would like to sample some Pisgah riding. We are looking for riding recommendations in the area? We are only renting bikes for (1) day, so would like to keep the logistics relatively simple. Have a minivan and (3) kids, so all that comes into play.

I'm renting a Bronson and son has a Hightower. I like chunk (used to live in PHX) but my son isn't as experienced. Son is a stronger climber and state champion swimmer, so he's in better shape then dad! Hahahah.

As I understand, it's been wet down there. As local trail advocates and volunteers, we want to be respectful of your local trails and are curious of which areas around there are "best" for riding if it's been wet?? Either stuff that dries quickly, or areas which handle moisture better....?

I've read a little about DuPont and Bent Creek, but would like to get more specifics about the area...which trails specifically. Are there shuttle opportunities for less climbing so we don't completely blow our legs out? One of my local buddies said Pisgah can be brutal if you get on the wrong trails....he went down there last summer/fall.

I have the Pisgah Trails map (the glossy laminated one) which is called "Pisgah Map co Trail Guide, Pisgah Ranger District Including Bent Creek".

Any information about riding would be greatly appreciated! Son has state swimming meeting next weekend and the following week we are headed down there! Should be fun! I can't wait.

Any thoughts on good, local breweries would be appreciated. Must allow kids. I know there are a bunch. Thanks in advance!
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    I found the sticky! haha looking at it now.
    Maah Daah Hey

since 4/10/2009
    Even considering that your date range isn't all that terribly far out, it's hard to forecast exactly which trails will be in the best shape for you. Logistically speaking, the trails nearest the hub off of 276 will be easy to get to. You could even ride there from the shop. But they don't give a whole lot of beginner/intermediate options nearby. You could ask about the trails they recommend for demo rides. Those tend to be pretty good, though I'm hearing that some of those are currently in the worst shape of most anything on the forest right now.

As far as friendliness to a wide range of abilities, places like Dupont, many of the trails accessible from the Trace Ridge trailhead (N. Mills River Rec Area), and Bent Creek are pretty accessible to less skilled riders.

As far as trail conditions go, up until yesterday, a lot of the trails were really quite dry. Minus the wet stream crossings and the "splashover" which created some mud in places. Most smaller stream crossings are fairly rocky, so they've got a solid base. Some of the largers ones, not so much. And this time of year, I'd recommend avoiding large crossings since the water tends to run a bit higher, and temps are a bit cooler. Those same spots can be a bit of a godsend when it's hot and sticky, in summertime, though. There's a good bit of rain in the forecast for this week, but I don't anticipate things being nasty for long.

It's worth keeping in mind, also, that there are some seasonal gravel road closures which will affect your ability to reach certain spots with a car.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/nfsnc...ces/?aid=45239

All this to say, basically, you should keep your options open until you show up. It might well be super wet that day. It's just far enough outside the 10-day forecast window that there's too much uncertainty. Looks like 3/2-3/6 will be pretty dry and clear, so there will be some time for this week's rain to dry up, too. So it might well be ideal riding conditions, too.

mtbr member
    thanks Harold; much appreciate the heads up concerning road closures. I'm guessing my son and I will have (at most) 3-4 hours in our legs....maybe less. If there are any routes which give us a sense of the (large) area, that would be great. We gotta have the rental bikes returned by 6ish. my wife will not be down with us spending all day riding. Any good thoughts of things for my wife to do with our 13 and 7 year old while son and I ride? Oh yeah, we are also taking a factory tour of Industry 9 on Friday afternoon! should be really cool to see.
    Maah Daah Hey

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic slalom View Post
    thanks Harold; much appreciate the heads up concerning road closures. I'm guessing my son and I will have (at most) 3-4 hours in our legs....maybe less. If there are any routes which give us a sense of the (large) area, that would be great. We gotta have the rental bikes returned by 6ish. my wife will not be down with us spending all day riding. Any good thoughts of things for my wife to do with our 13 and 7 year old while son and I ride? Oh yeah, we are also taking a factory tour of Industry 9 on Friday afternoon! should be really cool to see.
    There is a ton of stuff to do in the area. Most breweries ARE kid friendly, btw. Some I've visited even have a selection of toys and/or games on hand. Lots of places with live music, too.

Fwiw, KOLO bike park in Asheville is particularly welcoming to kids with its pump tracks and skills. They also have a zip line course. They are close to I9, actually.

What kinds of things do they like to do?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    There are some good hikes for kids out of the fish hatchery and good rides there, also. Sometimes my wife and I drive down there, she hikes with our kid/dog and I go ride, then we meet back up.

If she's comfortable hiking with both of your other kids, that might be a good option. You could park at the bottom of Cove Creek, they could hike to the falls, and you two could go ride some of the stuff in that area.

For riding, Cove Creek is pretty mellow for Pisgah except for one or two spots that you'll see coming. It's pretty easy to loop in with either Daniel's Ridge or Long Branch / Cat Gap. I would do the bridge side of Daniels unless you feel particularly confident in narrow, rocky trails. If you ride Cat Gap, please watch for hikers, they're out in force these days and they have it to themselves half the year, so they may or may not be friendly towards mountain bikers there. The closer we get to the seasonal trails closing for riding, the more I run into hikers that seem unhappy about us being there.

For me, I find any of those loops (Cove Creek, Cove/Daniels, or LongBranch/CatGap) to take about 1-1.5hrs each. They are all really fun and can give you a sample of what Pisgah is like without being over the top.

For hiking, there are several ways to get to Cove Creek falls. I'm not the best person to give guidance there, but I think my wife does it the route that runs through the campground instead of up Cove Creek. Maybe someone else can comment or you can PM me if she's interested so I can get some more info from her later.

Another option is to go separate, she can head to Oskar Blues if you are still riding. It's super kid friendly, the Chubwagon has some great food, and it's really nice on a pretty day to hang out outside.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Another of many options... Have your wife drop you at the end of Avery Creek RD and meet back up at the USF visitor center at a predetermined time. Do the clawhammer, black, Avery loop with an option for an out and back from the bottom of Bennett for whatever distance time allows. After resting and snacks with family, do the thrift cove, bottom black loop. Take sycamore or pavement to hub.

Plenty for the family... she could head on up 278 to looking glass falls and sliding rock, then check out the hatchery and Daniels or cove crk falls before meeting you at the visitor center. Plenty of hiking everywhere, and the area between the hub and campground is one big recreation area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder View Post
    Another of many options... Have your wife drop you at the end of Avery Creek RD and meet back up at the USF visitor center at a predetermined time. Do the clawhammer, black, Avery loop with an option for an out and back from the bottom of Bennett for whatever distance time allows. After resting and snacks with family, do the thrift cove, bottom black loop. Take sycamore or pavement to hub.

Plenty for the family... she could head on up 278 to looking glass falls and sliding rock, then check out the hatchery and Daniels or cove crk falls before meeting you at the visitor center. Plenty of hiking everywhere, and the area between the hub and campground is one big recreation area.
    I was going to suggest something similar, ride from the hub up clawhammer > upper black > Avery (OP said he liked chunk) > down and finish with sycamore cove (I think that's what it's called) while the others go up 276 to Looking Glass/Sliding rock.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by upstateSC-rider; 02-26-2018 at 06:36 PM.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    thanks for all the insight everyone! I will scope out the options and figure out a plan! Any recommendations for western NC BBQ in the area? thanks!
    Maah Daah Hey

Big Mac
    thanks for all the insight everyone! I will scope out the options and figure out a plan! Any recommendations for western NC BBQ in the area? thanks!
    The best recommendation for bbq in WNC, is donít bother. Itís just not done well here. Beer, we can do. BBQ, not so much. What else do you like to eat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Buxton Hall in Asheville is proper Carolina BBQ but you gotta wait a while to get a table. Its whole hog cooked over wood (the only way to do it) but its a cloth napkin "sit down" style place and not really authentic compared to stuff down East. The food is awesome but the ambiance is lacking as far as a traditional pig joint you find eastern NC.

12 Bones is decent too...

Dont fall victim to that mustard based junk coming out of SC... That aint BBQ.

If you want legit Carolina BBQ you gotta head East... at least as far as Lexington but Greenville, Kinston, etc. have the best in the country for sure.

Asheville is one of the great Food Towns of the South so you can find pretty much anything. We have really diverse stuff but also classic southern fare. Pretty good Brew-pubs too offering their own beer and food.
    On your left!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Buxton Hall in Asheville is proper Carolina BBQ but you gotta wait a while to get a table. Its whole hog cooked over wood (the only way to do it) but its a cloth napkin "sit down" style place and not really authentic compared to stuff down East. The food is awesome but the ambiance is lacking as far as a traditional pig joint you find eastern NC.

12 Bones is decent too...

Dont fall victim to that mustard based junk coming out of SC... That aint BBQ.

If you want legit Carolina BBQ you gotta head East... at least as far as Lexington but Greenville, Kinston, etc. have the best in the country for sure.

Asheville is one of the great Food Towns of the South so you can find pretty much anything. We have really diverse stuff but also classic southern fare. Pretty good Brew-pubs too offering their own beer and food.
    Iíll have to disagree. Buxton hall is average at best and Iíve never seen a whole hog in there. Location, location. The ribs at 12 bones are ok, and some of the sides are good, but the pulled pork sucks. I realize that Asheville is considered a food town, and their is some good food to be had, but I think that the idea of Asheville being a great food town is grossly overrated. Eastern Carolina bbq is legit and damn good, but I wouldnít go so far as to say itís the best in the country. Thatís a mighty tall order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Locally, if I'm going for bbq, I'm headed to Doc Brown's in Candler. Doc Brown's BBQ: A Family-owned Asheville BBQ Restaurant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Iíll have to disagree. Buxton hall is average at best
    Agreed...Buxton is mediocre. I suggest Luella's or 12 bones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Buxton Hall gets rave reviews but my only experience there was distinctly mediocre.

12 Bones used to be great, but it's average at best these days, it caters to tourists with low expectations.

If you're already in the Brevard area riding, keep an eye out for the Blue Smoke food truck, they're frequently parked up outside The Hub and have decent fare.

Hubba Hubba over in Flat Rock is pretty legit, their pulled pork is good, haven't tried the ribs. They have a nice little courtyard for seating, it's very pleasant in the summer. The bakery next door is on point, too. Very convenient if you end up in Dupont.

The best BBQ in WNC is in Haywood County, but not convenient to riding spots frankly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Haha, OP asks about BBQ and thread reply count doubles. You hit a string with us arctic! I've been pretty impressed with Green River BBQ. While their BBQ itself is in line with others in the area, the sides send it over the top. They do a tomato pie that is just incredible. Also good beer selection. Also 20 minutes from GRG trails!

Would second the recommendation for Blue Smoke. IMO it's good enough to check their FB page and drive to em if not that far away.

Been to Hubba Hubba once. It was solid. Cash only and kind of odd hours, so check the time before you go!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Haha, OP asks about BBQ and thread reply count doubles. You hit a string with us arctic! I've been pretty impressed with Green River BBQ. While their BBQ itself is in line with others in the area, the sides send it over the top. They do a tomato pie that is just incredible. Also good beer selection. Also 20 minutes from GRG trails!

Would second the recommendation for Blue Smoke. IMO it's good enough to check their FB page and drive to em if not that far away.

Been to Hubba Hubba once. It was solid. Cash only and kind of odd hours, so check the time before you go!
    Oh yeah, Green River BBQ is good, too. Saluda's a cool little (emphasis on little) spot.

And let's be honest, if a BBQ joint doesn't have odd hours/hard to find... is it really legit?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot321 View Post
    Locally, if I'm going for bbq, I'm headed to Doc Brown's in Candler. Doc Brown's BBQ: A Family-owned Asheville BBQ Restaurant.
    that place is just a couple miles from me. it's on my list, for sure.

I learned how to make bbq Texas-style when I lived there for awhile. I didn't live in a part of the state where restaurants served particularly good versions. but I knew people who made pretty good bbq at home, and that's how I learned.

sometime this year, I'll be getting my own outdoor cooking setup going (new house). I've already got some good smoker cuts of meat in my freezer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    For riding for you and your son, I may suggest you ride out of the North Mills River area. This spot gets overlooked by traveling MTB shred-seekers all the time because it doesn't get the press that the 276 area does. BUT I think the 5000 > Spencer Branch > Trace Ridge loop, at 8mi, checks the boxes - it deals with weather pretty well and HAS GOT THE CHUNK. Easy to navigate. Short enough you could rip it, load the bikes, and go get another loop down in Brevard area Pisgah.

Here ya go: https://www.trailforks.com/route/was...ge-trail-loop/

An alternate for less chunk more flow, but in the same area: https://www.trailforks.com/route/was...erlower-trace/

If you are going to ride out of the 276/Pisgah Forest/the Hub area....
    Would possibly suggest linking Avery Creek and Bennett Gap. It's a 17mi loop and likely all of 4 hours. May be pushing your time but it'll get you on two of the most chunky and fun descents in the ranger district. All us locals rave about Bennett, and while it is insanely fun, IMO it is not that technical. The upper section has a bit going on (ok Devil's Staircase, the Rock Drop, these are big moves). Once you are to Saddle Gap, it's a rooty flowy rippin good time to the bottom.

To do this loop:
    Park at bottom of Bennett Gap (or anywhere along 477 really). 477 > Clawhammer Road past horse stables > Left onto Black Mountain at the steps > 90į left onto Avery Creek trail > Stay right at the bottom back to 477 > Right on 477 > Left on Bennett Gap > Full send to cars.

For hiking around 276 area for wife and kids, would HIGHLY recommend hiking John Rock trail from the hatchery. It gives you a fantastic view of Looking Glass, Pisgah, and the BRP. It's 12% as crowded as Looking Glass and IMO a much prettier hike. Moore Cove Falls is a very easy and short hike also. The falls are awesome.

Hope weather holds and your visit is great, bud.

mtbr member
    Hahaha... BBQ is serious business here in NC!

Its funny when folks ask where the best BBQ in town is. Its sorta like asking what brewery has the best beer... everyone is right and everyone is wrong. Its all good as long as its hog cooked low and slow. Texas doesn't have BBQ... they have steak. Brisket is just fancy steak cooked for a long time... Fighting words!! haha

I am sure that wherever the OP goes its better than anything you can find in South Dakota. I had "Carolina style" BBQ in Canada one time and it made me very sad. They used Maple syrup (oh Canada!) in the sauce and it was terrible.

I've only been to Buxton once and it was right after they opened and it was awesome. I hope it hasnt gone downhill since I was there... I do know its crazy busy and hard to get into now. James Beard awards will do that...

Luellas has the best sides in town for sure. But if you're getting BBQ, slaw (red or white... im partial to red) has to be on the plate along with a roll or two pieces of white bread. thats the Law.

12 Bones smoked Turkey is the bomb. Best I have had here locally.

Hubba Hubba in Flatrock is really good... surprisingly enough they have the best Fish Tacos too.
    On your left!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    It's a 17mi loop and likely all of 4 hours.
    LOL, that loop would be much more than 4hrs for me.

Texas doesnt have BBQ... they have steak. Brisket is just fancy steak cooked for a long time haha.
    Texas bbq is more than just brisket. Maybe the "famous" stuff from the Hill Country is very much beef-centered, but I lived/learned in deep east TX, which has far more Gulf Coast and southeastern influence in its cooking. Both meats were available there.

What I learned were methods. I cook with a dry rub, and sauce is served on the side. I haven't played with making my own sauce, but I mix my own rubs. I like smoky, slightly spicy tomato-based sauces. Never tried any of the mustard-based stuff, but I'm curious about it.

I also like to toss chicken or turkey on. I like a different rub with poultry than with pork, but the cooking is more or less the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hubba Hubba in Flatrock is really good... surprisingly enough they have the best Fish Tacos too.
    Another Hubba Hubba fan. And the fish tacos are legit.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTerp View Post
    Another Hubba Hubba fan. And the fish tacos are legit.
    I'm a sucker for a good fish taco.

Biggest criteria: NO F*CKING TILAPIA!

So long as this place doesn't use tilapia, it'll go on my list, too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Ate at Buxton Hall today for lunch, quick service and lots of open tables. Fried catfish is was the best! Way better than the pulled pork I had a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm just one year older than your son and I'll be road trippin' down to Asheville on Tuesday for a few days to ride Bent Creek and Dupont. If anyone wants to meet up I'd be down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a great uncle who can cook anything outdoors, from an exceptional vinegar based eastern NC BBQ to Thai ribs. He says "It ain't where, it's how."
    Dang, I need to go see him.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    I have a great uncle who can cook anything outdoors, from an exceptional vinegar based eastern NC BBQ to Thai ribs. He says "It ain't where, it's how."
    Dang, I need to go see him.
    Very coincidental you say that. My friend who is hooking me up with a place to stay for a few days is going to be cooking ribs for my first night after the long drive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'm a sucker for a good fish taco.

Biggest criteria: NO F*CKING TILAPIA!

So long as this place doesn't use tilapia, it'll go on my list, too.
    If I remember correctly, fish tacos at Hubba Hubba are only a daily special from time to time.

mtbr member
    my kid got #1 in state for 100 butterfly! I'm jacked!

ok; so it sounds like we've got some good BBQ places nailed down. I'm flying into Charlotte and driving up to Ash from there. Maybe we should hit a BBQ place on the way? Leaving Nodak Thursday morning.

We have a tour set up for i9 on friday afternoon which i'm excited for.

How is the weather holding up? Any changes to the previous routes based on weather? We plan to ride on Saturday (we can slide that to Sunday if we want). We were gonna check out Biltmore on Sunday.

Sorry I've been off and on with the thread....been juggling a bit here lately.

Thanks for all the great information everyone!
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member

ok; so it sounds like we've got some good BBQ places nailed down. I'm flying into Charlotte and driving up to Ash from there. Maybe we should hit a BBQ place on the way? Leaving Nodak Thursday morning.

How is the weather holding up? Any changes to the previous routes based on weather? We plan to ride on Saturday (we can slide that to Sunday if we want). We were gonna check out Biltmore on Sunday.

Congratulations to your kid! What state? North Dakota? My kid is a fly and breast-stroke kid - and state champion as well! Swimming makes kids monsters on a bike. Kid can climb forever.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

since 4/10/2009
    Had a decent bit of rain starting last night and it's been on and off all day. Looks like today is more or less it for rain until Sunday (maybe a tiny bit on Saturday, at least according to the current forecast), and the next couple days are forecast to be windy, which will help dry out the trails. You'll probably be mostly okay, though I'd still make it a point to avoid trails with especially deep or frequent known water crossings. They'll be quite cold.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Congrats!

The weather's really random at the moment, we're in the middle of a negative NAO so it's going to change daily. It's going to be pretty chilly over the next few days with a warmer, wetter front coming in at some point. I'd recommend trying to ride Saturday at the moment.

Overall the trails have been in good shape, not much to worry about.

mtbr member
    Ok, so thought I'd write a little about the ride. We went on Saturday and the trails were in really nice shape. Pretty much totally dry for 99% of the single track. We rode:

My wife shuttled us to bottom of Club Gap:

Club Gap
    Buckwheat Nob
    Bennet Gap
    Clawhammer Road
    Turkey Creek Road
    Black Mountain
    Road back to Sycamore and the Hub

Trails were really, really fun. There was some burly stuff which we're not used to up on Buckwheat or Bennet (I can't remember). Overall, super fun ride! Bennet was really fun with a bunch of drops, rocks, flow, etc. Some of those climbs were a gut punch. Lower Black Mountain was really fast and flowy, too. Very well laid out piece of trail. We were FLYING. I was trying to be careful with hikers though....ran across a few and slowed down, stopped and said hello.

I rented a Bronson from Hub. Son had a Yeti 5.5 29er from Sycamore Cycles. Bronson was a beast....I'm not used to that much travel and I was complaining with it on Club Gap (wanted my Tallboy), but once we started flowing and dropping that thing took off. Yikes, they are SCARY CAPABLE. We returned Yeti to sycamore (it started raining as soon as we got on the pavement). Anyway, guy from Sycamore was freaking awesome and gave us a ride in their Sprinter Van over to the Hub so I could return my Santa Cruz. Service was great at both shops, but I thought that was really cool that Sycamore guy helped out my son and I by giving us a ride in the rain. You rock!

We ate/drank @:

12 Bones
    White Duck Taco
    Bowling Alley (yes we did!)
    Biscuit Head
    Sierra Nevada
    Mayberry & Soda Shop @ Brevard
    Mellow Mushroom
    Beer @ Hub; Hello Innovation Soulvation IPA!
    We tried Nine Mile in west Asheville, but waited 45 minutes and bailed!
    Westville Pub

that's it and all! Thanks for all the good insight. You've got a great scene down there!
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    NICE! Glad you got all that in man!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Sounds like you found some good spots. Wonder - was the bowling alley the one on Patton in W. Asheville with the Big Lebowski mural? That place is just a few miles from my house. Too bad you didn't visit Rocky's Hot Chicken. Tasty.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    mmmm... Rocky's

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Glad you had fun and left your money in our town

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    arctic slalom thanks for the review. I am about to go next weekend and trying to plan a ride. Im staying in Ashville so looking into renting a bike and getting my wife to shuttle me to some spots. Looking for some short rides. How long was that loop ? how mad was the climb?

Also are there any group rides going on would much rather follow someone. Im there the 23-25th.

mtbr member
    sure!

my wife dropped us off @ about 12:30 and we were back at Sycamore Cycles (down near the Hub in Brevard) @ about 3:30-3:45. My son and I were not hammering, but we didn't hang out and session anything either. I'd say an average rider can do our loop in 3 hours. I'm a little more of a technical rider (40) and my son (17) is strong, but he's less experienced with chunk. He's a helluva strong climber tho and just wrapped up his senior swimming season (strong cardio wise).

Climbing was tough for me and my son. I'm a flatlander and it's been super cold and crappy here all winter here in North Dakota. Our fat biking is good, but most of it is on frozen rivers (obviously zero grade). I'd say the climbing was 60% rolling along, 20% granny gear on a 12 speed eagle and another 20% walking. We certainly could have ridden more single track, but his bike had to be back @ 4 pm.

The single track climbing was tough and kinda techy, which if you enjoy that kinda thing it can be really fun. Plenty of rocks, water bars, diagonal roots, big views, etc. The gravel road climbs weren't brutal, but they weren't easy, either. There are a few more mellow spots where you can catch your breath and take it easy. They felt "predictable" to me. For whatever reason the gravel road chunks go by faster than you would anticipate. I like the 12 speed Eagle I rode. Damn sweet. I have a 1x10 on my Tallboy at home and I talked to the guy @ LBS this morning about a GX 11 speed for my Santa Cruz. LOL.

There is a view up on the top of Bennet Gap (I think) which is off on the right side of the trail. It's beautiful up there. Worth a 5 minute stop for sure. Big, big view of Pisgah up there. I can't imagine how sweet that area must be when the fall colors are rolling in.

I found both Sycamore Cycles and the Hub to be really great with service. They can hook you up with trail tips, etc.

My son and I are already planning another 3-4 day "beat-down" trip. We're gonna try to recruit a few more locals to come with us.
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    cool thanks, also from the flatlands of Florida. Been to pisgah and dupont twice, baileys and beech once. Since I'm riding solo I trying to stick to an easy loop from a bike shop. Both Sycamore and the Hub have trails from their shop. Last time I did Ridgeline which was fun climbed jim branch then hooker creek down to ridgeline.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMTB View Post
    Glad you had fun and left your money in our town
    my son has been heckling me for a I9 wheelset ever since we left the factory tour. he's trying his best to keep more money flowing your way! hahaha
    Maah Daah Hey

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    my son has been heckling me for a I9 wheelset ever since we left the factory tour. he's trying his best to keep more money flowing your way! hahaha
    Funny, i9 is 5 miles from me and I still haven't visited them. Maybe they'll give a neighbor a discount