Vacation in Hilton Head where to ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Vacation in Hilton Head where to ride

I'm stuck with my wife's family for a week in Hilton Head in June (about 20 or so in the same house!! ).

I'm trying to make the best of this total waste of a (very expensive) week so I'm hoping that there are some places to ride on or nearby the island. Also, if anyone can point me in the right direction for a LBS with good bike rental would be greatly apprecaited.

thanks in advance for helping me salvage my vacation.

mtbr member
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodyknee
    I'm stuck with my wife's family for a week in Hilton Head in June (about 20 or so in the same house!! ).

I'm trying to make the best of this total waste of a (very expensive) week so I'm hoping that there are some places to ride on or nearby the island. Also, if anyone can point me in the right direction for a LBS with good bike rental would be greatly apprecaited.

thanks in advance for helping me salvage my vacation.

there is a paved greenway that is about it in HH...... Hunting Island a little north of Beaufort in fun, or head down 95 into GA take the hwy80 Pooler exit, left and about 2 miles on the right is Tom Tripplett park. about a 7 mile loop of tight twisty singletrack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Paved greenway type riding....HHI is the best.

Singletrack....not the worst, but just about.

I think there is a nature preserve with some cool double track that I've been told about. It's near the bridge as you come onto the island. Good to spin the legs and see nature (gators).

consistent default champ
    Man a week long vacation at the beach ~ how can you stand it??
    I have been trying to get my hubby convinced to take a week away to the beach but he is always concerned about $$, the economy, blah blah blah. I would go in your place if I could.

consistent default champ
    Quote Originally Posted by brownieinSC
    Man a week long vacation at the beach ~ how can you stand it??
    I have been trying to get my hubby convinced to take a week away to the beach but he is always concerned about $$, the economy, blah blah blah. I would go in your place if I could.
    I should say in his defense that he was all for me buying my new bike

mtbr member
    I'll check out Beaufort in GA, that may be the closest.

Hey Brownie - Yeah I know....I'm not trying to complain, but I have to take a vacation with them every other year. It's okay for a few days but i don't get very many days off work and spending the few I do get to take off with the in laws really sucks to be honest.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So don't go. Or bring 2 cars and go for 3 days. Sounds like a drag, I'm sure your wife will understand.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodyknee
    I'll check out Beaufort in GA, that may be the closest.

Hey Brownie - Yeah I know....I'm not trying to complain, but I have to take a vacation with them every other year. It's okay for a few days but i don't get very many days off work and spending the few I do get to take off with the in laws really sucks to be honest.

btw Beaufort is in SC

Hunting Island Map

Pickney Island is what SeenVic was referring to You'll actually cross over it on your way into HHI pretty lame though (imo) .

and Triplett is just north of Savannah maybe a 40min drive from HHI, if traffic is not bad... wouldn't recommend if it's been raining, several areas are prone to flooding. but if you like tight twisty rooty singletrack it is a fun place to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gtdrew
    So don't go. Or bring 2 cars and go for 3 days. Sounds like a drag, I'm sure your wife will understand.

Yeah right. You must not be married.

mtbr member
    You're stuck brother! You will bank some serious points if you just let it go. A beach cruiser with a cup holder is what I'd be looking for. I had to spend a week with extended family(seven bedrooms full) at Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago. Even Hilton Head beats that! The only good that came out of it was the consensus opinion that we'd never try that again. Take a fishing pole, cast net, and 2 litres of Bombay and it'll all work out.

mtbr member
    I stay in a condo at Harbour Island, just north of Hunting, every year (sometimes a couple of times).
    Hunting is pretty fun trail, actually, in a really unique riding environment. I highly recommend it.

paintbucket
    Two words: sea kayak.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The best/closest trail is hunting island. Its worth a trip because it is a beautiful environment. If you do several laps and add in the main road a few times you can get a few good miles in.

mtbr member
    Awesome, hunting island is on the list. As well as two litres of Absolute and sea kayaking (my other passion). Just don't want to go that long without a ride or two or miss out on a chance to hit an out of state trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0