VA to PA route help- Mtbr.com

Apr 2007

VA to PA route help

I know we're the Carolina forum, but a lot of you have ridden all over the place and have hailed from other worthy lands. Oh, and because ya'll are so dang smart , I thought I'd ask this here as well.

We're going. Finally. My PA girl and I have 12 days in the end of June/begining of July that we'll be riding from someplace in Virginia toward north central PA (as close to Williamsport as we can get). We'll be going bikepacking.net style.

My maps run out at the VA/MD line heading north, so I can get us to there but I have no good knowledge of the options other than a line on the map. Any suggestions on routes particularly from south centralish PA area to the north centralish PA area and any "don't miss" sections of VA or PA? Any long single track that is advisable or to avoid in VA? We're not really looking for the narly stuff, though some is fine, and of course we want single track, but some rural roads-paved or gravel are fine and expected.

~Shaun

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Douthat State Park in Va. is solid. A lot of VA and PA for that matter is rocky. There is a cool new trail system that is beginner friendly in Harrisonburg, VA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't know if this will help you...but there is a huge rail-trail project underway from DC to Pittsburgh... http://www.atatrail.org/maps/map.cfm you'll need to do some research to make sure what is open. I've been on the section along the Yough river...while it is typical rail-trail and rather easy grades, it does take you through some very scenic areas.

pronounced may-duh

mtbr member
    Massanutten is very technical. Very rocky and the climbs are steep. I suggest it highly!

Members who have read this thread: 0