Uwharrie vs. Badin Lake trail system- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Uwharrie vs. Badin Lake trail system

Can anyone give me a recommendation on these two? I'll be there next week and I'll probably only have one day to ride. I'll be staying up on High Rock Lake, so Badin system will be closer, but I've heard Uwharrie is pretty good. I live in the Asheville/Black Mountain area, so I'm used to all that stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Which one is better?

mtbr member
    Ive ridden the Uwharrie trails for years..Keyauwee and Supertree..but never the Badin Lake system...from what Ive been told its pretty rough and not maintained...I know there is an Xterra event held out there every year and there is a "bike" course...but not like the one over at Keyauwee/Supertree..there are some videos on youtube for both places...sorry I couldnt be more help.

Badin Lake Xterra event: (there is more than one video for the course)

Xterra Uwharrie route part 1 0002 - YouTube

Some Uwharrie Keyauwee footage:

Uwharrie MTB - YouTube
    Uwharre MTB 2 - YouTube
    Uwharrie MTB 3 - YouTube
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Okay, cool, so it's worth the slightly extra drive to go down to Uwharrie and do those? Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    the Keyauwee trail just got re-worked in the fall of '11 and they did a really good job...its alot of fun and sometimes brutal (the uphills)...Supertree is more or less just a fire road...you can get to the top of Supertree and there is a small trail called Whitetail thats pretty fun..but its a short trail. Here's a map of the place that will help because you can feel very isolated out there...esp if you've never been before.

Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice! So, should I ride Keyauwee counter-clock wise and Supertree clockwise?

mtbr member
    I would ride Keyauwee clockwise..when you get to the wood run campsite (its very primitive) or as I say the toilet thats there..go to the left..its a little easier (or at least it is to me)...and then when you get to Supertree..I'd say just keep on going and make it one big loop...thats what Ive always pretty much done...when you come out of the woods onto the fire road..supertree is the road that is going uphill..if you follow the other road (to the right) back it will take you back to the woodrun campsite..they have signs but it doesnt always seem very clear..the white tail trail (to the right going up supertree) (not marked but you can see tire marks going into the trail) is at the top of the fire road on supertree and it will dump you out on the other side of supertree..if you go right you will end up at wood run and if you go left you will go back around supertree...white tail is a fun little trail..I wish more of the Uwharrie MTB trails were like that.if you have any questions I will help all I can..and usually there are people out there riding....there are also hiking trails that cross supertree and they are hiking only..usually marked...I think there are one or 2 signs.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks man. That's super helpful. I'm looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    No problem..for me its the closest "mountain" type trail without having to drive to the mtns...I always enjoy going to the Uwharries and riding there...if you get bored with Supertree you can always turn around and ride Keyauwee backwards...its the only place I have problems with the climbs..maybe because they are so long and Im not use to it...one of these days I'll get it.
    Out Of Step.

MTBR Member
    Definitely ride Keyauwee CW. I was out there last Sunday for the first time since the trail work. Since it has been reworked, it seems like it would ride much better CW. Although, if you really like some solid climbing, ride CCW - it was brutal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just rode Uwharrie recently for the first time and man that was alot of climbing for this here flat lander. Really fun decents tho! I am sure you will like it!

Members who have read this thread: 1