Uwharrie riding- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Uwharrie riding

  1. #1
    local jackass
    Reputation: biggoofy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    931

    Uwharrie riding

    I will be moving to uwharrie in october and am looking for trail info about up there I can go ride there on the weekends but I would like to build up a relationship with some riding buddies and gain a knowledge of the trails prior to moving

    Thanks Zack
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    90

    uwharrie

    There is some good riding in Uwharrie. Where are you moving from?

    I have been trying to get there once a week or so to ride teh Xterra Course/ badin lake trails.

    If you know where to ride there is about 50 miles of trail, some is very rocky and challenging.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    90

    Riding Uwharrie

    Anyone interested in riding Uwharrie on a weekly or every other week basis ?

    I would love to meet and ride.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jscusmcvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    340
    I live about 35 mnutes away from the woods run trailhead area. I am also up in Troy every other Thursday and try sometimes to hit a lunch ride while there. Let me know if you plan regualr rides. I am slow.

    Bad news for Uwharrie is that a large portion of Keyowee (sp?) trail has been bulldozed. I am not sure of plans to rebuild or redo it. There is still a few miles of that trail asa singletrack and the new singletrack fro the parking to the wood run camp area. Also singletrack from Supertree to Woodsrun on White Tail (name?)

    Does anyone know if the Badin trails used for the Uwharrie Xterra are open for bikes other times? That would be good for all of us.

    John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    90

    Badin trails

    I ride the Badin trails. They are open to mountain bike's. You just have to yield to horses. I have not met any horse riders who weren't friendly either.

    There are about 50 miles of trails open to bikers. In addition, there are a ton of off shoots the horse riders have made. Total trails are thought to be about 100+. I am pretty familiar with about 25 miles of them. I am working up to a 35 mile loop with no back tracking or over lapping. The Badin trails are much more difficult and rugged then the Woodrun trails.

    Thursdays are no good for me. Sorry I should have said that earlier. I am about 1 hour away so I am looking at 1 time a week or every other week. Tuesday and Wednesday are best. i could do a Thursday if we met early.

    Lastly the shortest ride I am doing is about 2 1/2 hours. PM me if this will work. I even have a couple of 29ers I could let you ride(test bikes)

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jscusmcvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by caoboto
    I ride the Badin trails. They are open to mountain bike's. You just have to yield to horses. I have not met any horse riders who weren't friendly either.

    There are about 50 miles of trails open to bikers. In addition, there are a ton of off shoots the horse riders have made. Total trails are thought to be about 100+. I am pretty familiar with about 25 miles of them. I am working up to a 35 mile loop with no back tracking or over lapping. The Badin trails are much more difficult and rugged then the Woodrun trails.

    Thursdays are no good for me. Sorry I should have said that earlier. I am about 1 hour away so I am looking at 1 time a week or every other week. Tuesday and Wednesday are best. i could do a Thursday if we met early.

    Lastly the shortest ride I am doing is about 2 1/2 hours. PM me if this will work. I even have a couple of 29ers I could let you ride(test bikes)
    I have no problem riding 2.5 hours.... guessing I ride half as far as you do in that time though

    I'd love to test a 29er sometime. I am guessing you are affiliated with Charlie's shop and when I need an LBS, he is who I go see, hell you may BE Charlie :-). I am halfway between Uwharrie and Gov. Creek and can ride either. I will see if I can flex my schedule for Tues or wednesday next week and get back to you.

    John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by jscusmcvet
    I live about 35 mnutes away from the woods run trailhead area. I am also up in Troy every other Thursday and try sometimes to hit a lunch ride while there. Let me know if you plan regualr rides. I am slow.

    Bad news for Uwharrie is that a large portion of Keyowee (sp?) trail has been bulldozed. I am not sure of plans to rebuild or redo it. There is still a few miles of that trail asa singletrack and the new singletrack fro the parking to the wood run camp area. Also singletrack from Supertree to Woodsrun on White Tail (name?)

    Does anyone know if the Badin trails used for the Uwharrie Xterra are open for bikes other times? That would be good for all of us.

    John

    Yep, Keyauwee is jacked up. I'm hoping the new trail can get started/built by next fall because I like to ride there a lot in the winter when everything else is wet (Uwharrie drains well and is never muddy). This is what Jim (w/ the Trailblazers) said when I asked about the logging:

    "Yea, this is a planned logging - its a relatively small section of timber a ways up Keyauwee. The Forest service got the loggers in early this spring so they would be done and gone before the trail builing and rehab work will start.

    The newly designed trail sections (which should be put out to bid any day) will be built away from these old logging/fire roads. These double track corridors will always be used for logging as thinning, disease control, etc. is needed over the years - even though a given road may not be used for that purpose for 10-15 years or more. We've talked to the local Forest Service folks and they are very open to try to minimize the impact that logging has on the corridors we now use for trails. I believe they will now use different requirements for slash removal (the branches stripped from logged trees) and the blazing techniques used so the recovery process is enhanced. But there's no getting around OSHA corridor requirements the loggers must follow. These corridors just aren't appropriate for the sustainable singletrack we want to build and use.

    One we get the current project finished, the idea is to design new trail that will be minimally impacted by future logging. The Forest Service plans their expected logging quite far in advance and they do it by well defined sections. We can determine the likely access corridors the'll use to get to just about any section of the forest and design trails accordingly.

    Mixing loging and trail use on National Forest land isn't new around the country. It's just new for most of us. As a club, this is our first experience working on National Forest property - and its certainly different, but very doable.

    Jim "

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jscusmcvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ftw
    Yep, Keyauwee is jacked up. I'm hoping the new trail can get started/built by next fall because I like to ride there a lot in the winter when everything else is wet (Uwharrie drains well and is never muddy). This is what Jim (w/ the Trailblazers) said when I asked about the logging:

    "Yea, this is a planned logging - its a relatively small section of timber a ways up Keyauwee. The Forest service got the loggers in early this spring so they would be done and gone before the trail builing and rehab work will start.

    The newly designed trail sections (which should be put out to bid any day) will be built away from these old logging/fire roads. These double track corridors will always be used for logging as thinning, disease control, etc. is needed over the years - even though a given road may not be used for that purpose for 10-15 years or more. We've talked to the local Forest Service folks and they are very open to try to minimize the impact that logging has on the corridors we now use for trails. I believe they will now use different requirements for slash removal (the branches stripped from logged trees) and the blazing techniques used so the recovery process is enhanced. But there's no getting around OSHA corridor requirements the loggers must follow. These corridors just aren't appropriate for the sustainable singletrack we want to build and use.

    One we get the current project finished, the idea is to design new trail that will be minimally impacted by future logging. The Forest Service plans their expected logging quite far in advance and they do it by well defined sections. We can determine the likely access corridors the'll use to get to just about any section of the forest and design trails accordingly.

    Mixing loging and trail use on National Forest land isn't new around the country. It's just new for most of us. As a club, this is our first experience working on National Forest property - and its certainly different, but very doable.

    Jim "
    Glad to know there is a plan. The one new connector trail there (that leads from the parking lot to wood run camp) is a great design with good flow and som efun technical spots as well. Hope to see more of the same. I am available for volunteer work days from time to time if it is needed.

    John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

  9. #9
    local jackass
    Reputation: biggoofy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    931
    I am trying to ride Monday morning or tomorrow morning if anyone wants to shoot me a pm
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    56

    Group rides?

    I would like to link up with riders too, I tried riding the old horse camp area and it was really bad.... post up when you plan to ride.... thx

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    90

    Badin Uwharrie

    What was bad about the horse camp trails ? which ones did you ride? I am planning a couple of loops. If some of the trails are trashed I will avoid them.

    One other thing about this, some trails are terrible when they get even a little wet. It really needs to be dry for a couple of days. Next is I find mid week best as there is less horse doody and almost nobody out there.

    What day's can you ride?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.