USFS Plan Revision Update- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

USFS Plan Revision Update

Well, no one's mentioned it yet so I thought I would share some new things:

• The comment period on the wilderness area inventory has been extended to February 27, so go ahead and send in a comment if you haven't yet
    • A group called Friends of Big Ivy has been formed, and there will be a meeting February 5 with the Forest Service at the Big Ivy Community Center near Barnardsville. Goal is to encourage them to designate Big Ivy (Coleman Boundary) as something other than management area 1A (timber production).
    • According to their site, they are pushing for designation as 2C, 4C, 5, and 6. Management area 6 is Wilderness Study and not open to mountain biking. Big Ivy has some nice trails open to bikes.

Area 2C doesn't exist in the proposed new zoning list. 4C is National Heritage Corridors. 5 is Special Interest and Research Natural Areas.

There is no mention of management area 3, Backcountry, which is still the best option for reasonable protection from rampant logging while still allowing mountain biking (my opinion).

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Some Assembly Required
    I was wondering how the public meeting would influence all of this.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I deal a good bit with the NC Forest Service, are the better or worse than the National Forest peeps?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 6_Myles View Post
    I deal a good bit with the NC Forest Service, are the better or worse than the National Forest peeps?
    Very different. Where are you dealing with NC Forest folks? DuPont is the only state forest that really has riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I deal with them all over the state, but my first work/mtb crossing with them was at Dupont, and I found those rangers pretty agreeable to mtb'ers.

for clarification, I don't work with them in a trail/mtb capacity only in an architectural.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes, DuPont staff are great (one of them is a mountain biker). USFS also has some great folks (and some are mtn bikers). It is the FS process and being pulled in so many different directions that makes the USFS difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by 6_Myles View Post
    I deal with them all over the state, but my first work/mtb crossing with them was at Dupont, and I found those rangers pretty agreeable to mtb'ers.

for clarification, I don't work with them in a trail/mtb capacity only in an architectural.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah, the dupont project was a really 'tough' one...managed to ride after every one of our weekly meetings.

And it wasn't until Dupont that I saw how many 'associations' lobby for their needs on a trail system. I really don't envy their jobs.