USFS Mortimer/Grandfather District Trail Proposal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

USFS Mortimer/Grandfather District Trail Proposal

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Looks good. I would hope they could build the trails inn the spirit of the area.

mtbr member
    That’s the plan. Be sure to send in your comments to the FS (info at the end of the report) so they know if you want this, because other groups have been.

since 4/10/2009
    Anyone manage to download the project document PDF?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Anyone manage to download the project document PDF?
    Yes, via PC. File is 6 MB, so may be slow on phone.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Yes, via PC. File is 6 MB, so may be slow on phone.
    yeah. I'm trying on a PC. With Chrome, nothing happens. If I put the link into Firefox, I get a "file not found" error. Even if all ad/popup blockers are disabled.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    Be sure to send in your comments to the FS (info at the end of the report) so they know if you want this, because other groups have been.
    Done. I think the proposal looks good. It will be sad to lose the end of Yancey... that's probably my favorite trail section in all of NC but I get it.

Especially excited to see the new trail over Marks Mountain, that will make a nice loop. Also I've been riding the Estes Mill/Jackson knob trails recently but was still surprised to see them on the list, makes sense though.

mtbr member
    Yeah, some of it is already there, it just needs to jump through the hoops to make it “official”. The Yancey ending is all on private property as it is, but yeah I agree it is definitely fun! Change can be good though. All of the new reroutes were flagged by local riders, and we tried to keep everything in the “spirit of pisgah”. Notice the reroutes for everything don’t add that much mileage; we focused more on better/more maintainable routes, but kept it steeper like it already is. The Marks Mtn trail is my personal favorite, its all new and the terrain is amazing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    Yeah, some of it is already there, it just needs to jump through the hoops to make it “official”. The Yancey ending is all on private property as it is, but yeah I agree it is definitely fun! Change can be good though. All of the new reroutes were flagged by local riders, and we tried to keep everything in the “spirit of pisgah”. Notice the reroutes for everything don’t add that much mileage; we focused more on better/more maintainable routes, but kept it steeper like it already is. The Marks Mtn trail is my personal favorite, its all new and the terrain is amazing.
    agree re: marks; re: the end of yancey, schoolhouse, etc...in motomike we (those who have been riding in wilsons for decades and don't want to see it turned into lower-and now upper-Black)-we trust!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Does anyone know if the new and revamped sections/trails will be hand cut, machine cut or a combination of both? Any idea if jumps, berms, table tops will be built? Any idea when the work will be started and finished?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyessary View Post
    Does anyone know if the new and revamped sections/trails will be hand cut, machine cut or a combination of both? Any idea if jumps, berms, table tops will be built? Any idea when the work will be started and finished?
    I would hope they don't turn Wilson Creek into a bike park. That's the (very much needed) role Sugar and Beech fill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamatt View Post
    I would hope they don't turn Wilson Creek into a bike park. That's the (very much needed) role Sugar and Beech fill.
    Yep you got that right! Wilson creek needs to be kept in the same style and character and everyone involved gets that. Def no bike parking!