Urban Singletrack in Asheville?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Urban Singletrack in Asheville?

My family was just down there a few weeks back. Thread in here about our experiences (really great).

Anyway, I do local trail advocacy in my current city (Bismarck & Mandan, ND). Our population is about 125,000 (total) in the (2) local counties and cities.

My questions:

-How many miles of urban singletrack exist within the city limits of Asheville?

-Is City of Asheville Parks and Recreation currently funding new unpaved (natural) surfaces single track trails in the community?

-Since there is so much singletrack in local Bent Creek, Pisgah, DuPont is there just not a demand for urban single track?

-Are all the "greenway" trail developments posted on the AVL Parks and Recreation page generally for 8-10' asphalt paved, multi-use trails systems?

-What is the public perception of urban single track in Asheville area? Is there a lot of NIMBY type folks?

-Is SORBA involved in pushing for more urban single track both for health and wellness and commuting options?

any thoughts or opinions about this would be greatly appreciated.

We are trying to collaborate with our local community to create more linear and connected parks systems which feature paved and UNPAVED, single track trail systems. FWIW, in our community we have about 70 miles of paved pathways and about 20 miles of single track.

When it comes right down to it, it's WAY, WAY easier to get in a weekday evening ride when the riding is ridable from your home (urban). I think everyone with kids and careers understand this. thanks in advance!
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Richmond Hill Park has about 5 miles of singletrack/old doubletrack packed into 70 or so acres. I ride or run there at least 2-3 x weekly- I live very close to the park. The city is stepping up their game with this trail system and new signs should be going in soon.

All other trail systems that are "urban" are unofficial. There's some, but not going to post them here. Just look in the big green spaces on the map...

I'd guess we have about 10-20 miles total within the City of Asheville proper.

This is an important distinction. The population of the City of Asheville is much smaller than Buncombe county overall. Most areas of the county have at least some kind of trail system within about 20 minutes of most people's doors. Many folks, however, choose to travel further to bigger systems.

Regarding greenways. We're working on it. The problem is that we lack the wide open spaces you're talking about out west. All the infrastructure went in decades ago and there were no plans made then for greenways. Any construction involved lots and lots of property rights quagmires. But it's improving.

Everything else aside, you're right to observe we have an embarrassment of riches accessible by car. That does take the "pressure" off the development of new resources, for sure.

Here's the local greenways master plan.

Asheville, NC - Greenways

since 4/10/2009
    It's probably worth mentioning KOLO Bike Park in this discussion. Pretty close to downtown.

Kolo Flow Bike Park and Bicycle Rentals in Asheville, NC

It's a private facility, so the city has nothing to do with it. But there's a few miles of trail there, and that's not counting the pump tracks, jump lines, or the skills area. It's a great place to take kids, or a place to go in town to do some focused skills work.

The greenways master plan is a nice positive step. As that gets built out, there are some interesting possibilities for me to ride to some trails. A couple miles of not-terribly-busy roads to reach the nearest intersection with one trail and it looks like the proposed trails would head right by KOLO as well as Bent Creek, as well as up near Richmond Hill, where I have not ridden yet.

In some ways the Biltmore really sucks. There are trails and greenways in there, too, but you can't ride 'em unless you pay the entrance fee. Which, even for just visiting the grounds, is steep. Definitely not worth paying if you're just going to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    A lot of people who live in Kenilworth and other neighborhood close to Biltmore buy the annual pass primarily for access to trails and such on the estate.

I think you're supposed to pay to ride Kolo too.

BY FAR the main trail user group at Richmond Hill is dog walkers. Be aware of that if you try going out there.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    A lot of people who live in Kenilworth and other neighborhood close to Biltmore buy the annual pass primarily for access to trails and such on the estate.

I think you're supposed to pay to ride Kolo too.

BY FAR the main trail user group at Richmond Hill is dog walkers. Be aware of that if you try going out there.
    Yeah, KOLO is pay to ride. But the cost is a lot more reasonable than Biltmore on a single visit basis, anyway. If you're buying annual passes, Biltmore still costs more, but you get more with it.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Yeah, KOLO is pay to ride. But the cost is a lot more reasonable than Biltmore on a single visit basis, anyway. If you're buying annual passes, Biltmore still costs more, but you get more with it.
    I donít live in kennilworth, but we always buy season passes. The trails still suck, and I havenít ridden them in years, but Iíve heard chatter about something for mtb happening on the other side of the river, where all the horse/Range Rover stuff is. Hopefully that pans out. The pass is still totally worth it just for all the other stuff on the property.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I donít live in kennilworth, but we always buy season passes. The trails still suck, and I havenít ridden them in years, but Iíve heard chatter about something for mtb happening on the other side of the river, where all the horse/Range Rover stuff is. Hopefully that pans out. The pass is still totally worth it just for all the other stuff on the property.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah, if I ever do decide to buy annual Biltmore passes, it will be for the other stuff on the property, particularly the art exhibits and gardens and such.