Upstate Sorba- Mtbr.com

Thread: Upstate Sorba

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Upstate Sorba

I recently began riding mountain bikes again, after a lay-off of several years. While I love riding Pisgah/Mills River/BC/Dupont, those rides took of most of the day. When I road Paris Mt back in the day we rode the Fire Tower trail, and some mtb-banned trails that were hiking only, such as lower Sulphur Springs, and a trail coming in from the back side of the park. Pleasant Ridge didn't exist at that time.

So when I started riding more this year to keep in shape for the road bike, I was stoked about the Paris Mountain trails, and PR. I can take 2 hrs from the time I leave my house until I get back and get in a great ride. Now I would love to ride 3-4 times/week if the weather would cooperate.

I'm impressed with the trail support and development that has taken place in my absence. I also see the activities of Upstate and regional SORBAs, am impressed with their activities, and feel like I should support those activities with my membership and help. I am concerned with the IMBA-Sorba relationship though. It is the local Sorbas that I would like to support.

My questions:
    How independent are the local sorbas of IMBA management?
    How well do the local SORBA's coordinate among themselves, specifically Upstate, Pisgah, Wnc SORBA?
    Should I consider joining multiple SORBA chapters?

Thanks in advance for your perspective.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manodpickr View Post
    I recently began riding mountain bikes again, after a lay-off of several years. While I love riding Pisgah/Mills River/BC/Dupont, those rides took of most of the day. When I road Paris Mt back in the day we rode the Fire Tower trail, and some mtb-banned trails that were hiking only, such as lower Sulphur Springs, and a trail coming in from the back side of the park. Pleasant Ridge didn't exist at that time.

So when I started riding more this year to keep in shape for the road bike, I was stoked about the Paris Mountain trails, and PR. I can take 2 hrs from the time I leave my house until I get back and get in a great ride. Now I would love to ride 3-4 times/week if the weather would cooperate.

I'm impressed with the trail support and development that has taken place in my absence. I also see the activities of Upstate and regional SORBAs, am impressed with their activities, and feel like I should support those activities with my membership and help. I am concerned with the IMBA-Sorba relationship though. It is the local Sorbas that I would like to support.

My questions:
    How independent are the local sorbas of IMBA management?
    How well do the local SORBA's coordinate among themselves, specifically Upstate, Pisgah, Wnc SORBA?
    Should I consider joining multiple SORBA chapters?

Thanks in advance for your perspective.
    I'm on the Upstate SORBA board, so I can answer your questions directly.

Management of the local chapters is completely independent. While IMBA may be the top tier organization (currently, anyway) they never interfere or direct activities. IMBA keeps a portion of member dues (although this has now changed) and that provides for resources from IMBA, should the local chapter need anything.

Each SORBA chapter has it's own territory as defined by SORBA. Some chapters do coordinate to host events with other organizations/chapters. Upstate SORBA partners a few times a year with Pisgah Area SORBA for trail work days in Dupont, and occasionally Pisgah. SAMBA and Upstate SORBA work together on many occasions, usually volunteers for one working with the other organization to support events, races, and trail work days. Upstate SORBA works with other organizations as well, such as Palmetto Conservation Foundation. Pisgah Area SORBA does the same, such as working with Friends of Dupont.

Whether you want to join multiple chapters is up to you. Previously, if you joined via the IMBA website, you could only pick one local chapter to be affiliated with. This may be different now that IMBA's role in membership has changed. See IMBA website for more details.

What is most important, regardless of the chapter you wish to become a member of, is volunteering your time. Money only goes so far, and out of the 200+ members paying dues to Upstate SORBA, we only ever see the same handful of people on a regular basis. Trail work days, community involvement, cycling stewardship, etc. all make way more a difference than writing a check.

It's good to see you are interested in your local MTB organization. We have a board meeting on March 5th at Compadres in downtown Greenville. Board meetings are always open to the public. You are welcome to join if you wish.

Hope to see you there.

Tim

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for your detailed response. While I will not be able to make it on the 5th, I should be able to make one of your upcoming workdays.
    Thanks again,