In UNCC area for work

Printable View

• 05-26-2011
    Eric Z
    In UNCC area for work
    hi! i'll be in the uncc area for work starting the first week in june for 3 weeks and my wife and i are bringing our mountain bikes. i read poplar tent or sherman branch can be good options. are these good for beginners as well? my wife is athletic and capable of some technical rides but prefers a flowy-type trail. i'm open to whatever as long as it's dirt.

what are some other options in the area? during the week, it would be nice to be less than a 30 minute ride, but we can go farther on the weekends.

anything else i need to know?

thanks!
    ez
  • 05-26-2011
    scmtbiker
    Dark Mountain in North Wilkesboro is worth the trip. It is 85 miles away. There are some other trails there as well.
  • 05-26-2011
    Cedarbranchbiker1
    Uwharrie national forest is about 45 miles from UNCC east on Highway 24.
    www.sorbauwharrie.org
    Uwharrie currently has over 60 miles of trails for you to explore
  • 05-26-2011
    Eric Z
    excellent. exactly what i'm looking for. anyone know some weekday places closer to uncc i can do in the evenings?
  • 05-26-2011
    Cycling_Chick
    You may already be aware of this resource but if not try tarheeltrailblazers.com for your Charlotte aka weeknight / quick fix riding adventures :D

Enjoy the area, we have LOTS to offer. Depending where you are coming from the summer can be a bit hot:madmax: but ridable
  • 05-26-2011
    Let's Ride
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Z View Post
    hi! i'll be in the uncc area for work starting the first week in june for 3 weeks and my wife and i are bringing our mountain bikes. i read poplar tent or sherman branch can be good options. are these good for beginners as well? my wife is athletic and capable of some technical rides but prefers a flowy-type trail. i'm open to whatever as long as it's dirt.

what are some other options in the area? during the week, it would be nice to be less than a 30 minute ride, but we can go farther on the weekends.

anything else i need to know?

thanks!
    ez

For fast, flowy trails try Sherman Branch.

For a little more challenging, hit Poplar Tent ($3 fee) or US Whitewater Center.

Lake Norman State Park (45 minute drive) has 17+ miles of fast flowy.
  • 05-26-2011
    Eric Z
    this is exactly what i was looking for. thanks! i'm coming from chicago but can still handle the hot weather. i travel to charlotte a ton for work but this is the first time i'm bringing my bike since my wife, son, and i are renting a car through work and roadtripping out since i'll be there for a few weeks.

i'll check out the tarheeltrailblazers.com site. thanks for sharing.

thanks again!
    ez
  • 05-29-2011
    Eric Z
    any lbs worth checking out in the uncc area? it's always nice to check out new shops where i can of course find something to buy.