Turkeypen Road Conditions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Turkeypen Road Conditions?

Anyone know what condition Turkeypen Road is in currently?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    About a month ago it was pretty bad... but its usually bad so hard to say if its worse than normal. Fine for a 4x4 but I wouldnt want to take a Camry up and down it.

I always park at the entrance and pedal in. Get there early and its fine. Nothing worse than driving all the way up in there only to find there is no parking, or running into someone coming down the road and having to back up, turn around, etc.

There are a few places to park on the road driving in before you make the parking lot too.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    About a month ago it was pretty bad... but its usually bad so hard to say if its worse than normal. Fine for a 4x4 but I wouldnt want to take a Camry up and down it.

I always park at the entrance and pedal in. Get there early and its fine. Nothing worse than driving all the way up in there only to find there is no parking, or running into someone coming down the road and having to back up, turn around, etc.

There are a few places to park on the road driving in before you make the parking lot too.
    Thanks. But looking for more recent observation. A friend says the USFS has since fixed it with new gravel, but I want to confirm before I head up tomorrow night for night ride. I don't want to park by 280 for this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think they must have done that work right before my first time going up there, because I had heard how bad it was before and it wasn't bad at all, but it was obvious there was new gravel down and some of it was clearly covering up old ruts because some sections were looser than others. It has since packed down some.

Anyway, point being, I don't think it was that bad, not much different than going up to the Trace Ridge lot, maybe even a little better. I was up there last week and I don't recall seeing any bad spots, but I don't know what it was like before, so I can't offer a comparison. There were a lot of small cars in the parking lot, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    I think they must have done that work right before my first time going up there, because I had heard how bad it was before and it wasn't bad at all, but it was obvious there was new gravel down and some of it was clearly covering up old ruts because some sections were looser than others. It has since packed down some.

Anyway, point being, I don't think it was that bad, not much different than going up to the Trace Ridge lot, maybe even a little better. I was up there last week and I don't recall seeing any bad spots, but I don't know what it was like before, so I can't offer a comparison. There were a lot of small cars in the parking lot, though.
    That sounds like they fixed it indeed. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Word is ,it's the best it's been in years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smells Like Fish View Post
    Word is ,it's the best it's been in years.

mtbr member
    There is a Baptist church very close to the road. I would imagine they wouldn't care if you parked there other than during Sunday services.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    It's in good condition. I drive a Mazda 3 hatchback to the top all the time. There's always civics and priuses up there. You can avoid any bad areas if you pay attention.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2
    Cannondale CAAD12
    Niner RLT9
    Salsa Fargo
    Niner SIR9 27.5+
    Surly Krampus