Turkey Pen this weekend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Turkey Pen this weekend

A group of us were going to head over Sunday to ride Turkey Pen, Squirrel, etc but the weather looks to be conspiring against us.

I have never been on any of those particular trails (drainage, etc) but is it safe to assume that no matter how nice it is Thur, Fri and Sat, these trails will still be to wet?

Thanks for the advice.

memorable member
    So are we to assume that, Go Kart Mozart was checkin out the weather chart to see if it was safe outside?

Sorry.. couldn't resist.

It could be made into a monster, if we all pull together as a team.

mtbr member
    Trails will be wet but ride-able, perhaps the newly worked portions of Squirrel will suffer but we plan on riding a portion of it any way. Much of our loop will consist of gravel roads any way... Go for it, but plan on getting wet and muddy too. The trails do drain well in Pisgah proper but with this much rain, it's going to be sloppy no matter what!

Laurel Mountain to Pilot Rock is always a good option when in flood like conditions...
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    I have heard from a fairly good source that Squirrel was in good condition on Monday.

Most of the things that were soft-ish were the reworked sections.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    I have heard from a fairly good source that Squirrel was in good condition on Monday.

Most of the things that were soft-ish were the reworked sections.
    Conditions were near-perfect on Monday, but the ground doesn't have much capacity to soak up another 3" of rain which we'll likely get today and tomorrow. Friday is supposed to be sunny, warm, and very windy so maybe we catch a break and trails are OK by Sunday. You will still be very muddy as there are lots of places where water settles - just stay on the trail and power through.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I may venture back there on Friday. If I do, I'll let you know what shape it's in. Watch out for the wet horse poop splatter!

mtbr member
    You should be good to go on all of South Mills and Bradley Creek...
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF
    You should be good to go on all of South Mills and Bradley Creek...
    Research a collapsible boat!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mashochist
    So are we to assume that, Go Kart Mozart was checkin out the weather chart to see if it was safe outside?

Sorry.. couldn't resist.
    That was pretty good!

Appreciate the info, fellas. If no more rain comes, maybe we'll be alright. I just don't want to make the trip only to find a mess or damage your trails.

I don't get many hall passes, so I better come up with a back-up plan....

pronounced may-duh
    River crossings could be very interesting.

mtbr member
    Too much rain, and now snow. We're either headed to Dupont or riding pavement.
    My one says BRAP!

drunken pirate
    Too much rain, and now snow. We're either headed to Dupont or riding pavement.
    From what I have seen Pisgah drains much faster than Dupont. The high ridges in Pisgah will be fine by this afternoon, the rest by Saturday. I might do the unthinkable and go for a ride today in which case I'll be sure and document any wet spots on the trails
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    I bet there's some serious pockets of snow on those "high ridges" this afternoon & tommorrow- not that would discourage you, me, or lots of others, driftwood- but an out-of-towner or some fine locals might be looking for a different experience.

Pisgah Native
    hijacking the KOP's account but this is Dan from Sycamore. Just got done with a ride in turkeypen, squirrell is awesome, not even damp, laurel creek has a river running down it, the creek crossings all over are a bit scary (really just cause im a nancy and get cold easily). If yall are still planning on coming to ride id say your good to go.

and like everyone else says, im sure the laurel/ pilot loop is perfect.

hope that helps.

dan.

mtbr member
    Awesome! We are still coming. Sounds like we might be pretty good come Sunday.

Any updates are much appreciated. Thanks again!

Matt

drunken pirate
    Black Mtn. trail is as good as it has ever been as of 4pm this afternoon

Pisgah will be fine tomorrow. Perhaps there are pockets of snow above 4500' but I wouldn't bet on it.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes D
    hijacking the KOP's account but this is Dan from Sycamore. Just got done with a ride in turkeypen, squirrell is awesome, not even damp, laurel creek has a river running down it, the creek crossings all over are a bit scary (really just cause im a nancy and get cold easily). If yall are still planning on coming to ride id say your good to go.

and like everyone else says, im sure the laurel/ pilot loop is perfect.

hope that helps.

dan.
    -
    Thanks Dan, you rock. I'm riding Laurel / Pilot tomorrow!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hey Go Cart,
    I have a question for you. Who is your pmbar partner? And don't tell me some silicone sister, that joke has already been played. I am on family time this weekend, but perhaps we can work out a carpool to pisgah sometime. I have been driving by myself to meet my peeps over there and it gets old. It looks like there is a good showing from Knoxville this year. Maybe we can even place k-town team in the top 20, or 30,or 40. Top 40 for sure. Have a good ride over there tomorrow, I am jealous. Oh yeah, by the way, I am the guy you met at the vw plant the day they opened the trails. You were leaving just as i got there.

mtbr member
    Hey Nate! I am doing PMBAR with Brian Hann...not sure if you know him. He's stronger than me by a long shot. We are just out to have a big day in the woods...doubt we will finish anywhere near the top (due to me).

Don't get a ton of chances to go out of town but I'll be doing big local rides all year. PM me a phone # and/or email.

Matt

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    Hey Nate! I am doing PMBAR with Brian Hann...not sure if you know him. He's stronger than me by a long shot. We are just out to have a big day in the woods...doubt we will finish anywhere near the top (due to me).

Don't get a ton of chances to go out of town but I'll be doing big local rides all year. PM me a phone # and/or email.

Matt
    there are two people named Brian that I was thinking you could be partnered with. They both spell trouble for me and my top40 dreams(Nicholson being the other). get yourself a bungee strap and let B. Hann drag you to the podium

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the updates on trail conditions. I would have never guessed it could be in such incredible shape only days after inches of rain. The track was just about perfect and besides the creek crossings, there was no mud to found.

The route was killer and gave me just about all I wanted. Couldn't wipe the smile off my face the whole ride but those last couple pushes on Turkey Gap were starting get my attention.

Members who have read this thread: 0