Turkey Pen parking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Turkey Pen parking

Can I park at the foot of Turkey Pen, just off 280? Is that kosher? Want to get some extra pedaling miles in and not sure the family truckster will make another trip up that road.
    Thx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swoodbrn
    Can I park at the foot of Turkey Pen, just off 280? Is that kosher? Want to get some extra pedaling miles in and not sure the family truckster will make another trip up that road.
    Thx.

Take a ride in the way-back machine and check out this thread

Turkey Pen Parking: circa 2010
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    First, honored to have been read the "Hey idiot, do a search first..." riot act. However, I can't be held responsible for an inferior search engine - if "turkey pen park", in N/S Carolina forum, title and text, doesn't find an adequate thread, then as far as I'm concerned, it ain't there.

But, since you hipped me to it, I'll read and learn...thx.

drunken pirate
    That thread is a little dated, since then Turkey Pen Rd. has been graded and fixed, somewhat. It is now passable by low clearance vehicles. Still not great but a lot better than it was.

And yes, you can park at the bottom but note that it is a school bus turn around.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    First, honored to have been read the "Hey idiot, do a search first..." riot act. However, I can't be held responsible for an inferior search engine - if "turkey pen park", in N/S Carolina forum, title and text, doesn't find an adequate thread, then as far as I'm concerned, it ain't there.

But, since you hipped me to it, I'll read and learn...thx.

I was just pointing you to a thread that already had lots of discussion which, while dated, was still applicable. If I wanted to be an ass I would have just told you to search and not provided the link. BTW - it was there, just at the bottom of the page. But then again I knew it had to be somewhere since I remembered the thread and your title tweaked a neuron as it was exactly the same.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member

paved pen

Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    That thread is a little dated, since then Turkey Pen Rd. has been graded and fixed, somewhat. It is now passable by low clearance vehicles. Still not great but a lot better than it was.

And yes, you can park at the bottom but note that it is a school bus turn around.
    Aww, makes me a little bit teary-eyed...I won't get to hear the melodic squeaking of branches scraping along the length of my minivan as I ride up on the roadside gulley walls.

I suppose I can park up at the trailhead and be provided enough miles from Squirrel and the like, without the couple extra up and down the Turkey chute.

drunken pirate
    Aww, makes me a little bit teary-eyed...I won't get to hear the melodic squeaking of branches scraping along the length of my minivan as I ride up on the roadside gulley walls.

I suppose I can park up at the trailhead and be provided enough miles from Squirrel and the like, without the couple extra up and down the Turkey chute.
    I wouldn't get too carried away. If you drive up there might not be anymore noise from your under carriage grinding against the gullies but there will still be plenty of that sweet melodic squeaking from the branches.

If I'm on a bike I park at the bottom. It is just much easier that way.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    I was just pointing you to a thread that already had lots of discussion which, while dated, was still applicable. If I wanted to be an ass I would have just told you to search and not provided the link. BTW - it was there, just at the bottom of the page. But then again I knew it had to be somewhere since I remembered the thread and your title tweaked a neuron as it was exactly the same.
    No problem at all. I enjoy discovering the polite and not-so-polite phraseology people use to recommend a search to fellow forumgoers. It's especially entertaining when people are personally offended by others' laziness. Not that you were, but..."bottom of the page", below the fold - good lord, man, are you suggesting I scroll?!

mtbr member
    ... It's especially entertaining when people are personally offended by others' laziness.
    Not me, I'm lazy about other people's offensiveness
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    If that is what you call better, then I would have hated to see it before. I went that way for my first time a few weeks ago and was not sure I was getting back out, well almost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Kosher.

I'd have to say that, in my personal experience, starting my rides from the bottom of turkey pen are most rewarding! You'll begin your ride with a nice leisurely warm-up going up the gravel road. You will also get to experience not getting a ticket for parking in the "wrong side" of the parking lot. Unfortunately, some hooligans 4-by-4'd over the sign during the last snowstorm so you may not realize what side is the "right" side.

You also get to finish your ride with a nice decent back to your car. Watch out for things jumping out of the woods in front of you, like squirrels, deer and oil trucks. As long as it's during the weekend you don't have to worry about school buses. And the more mountain bikers that park there, the less horse s**t I gotta deal with!

It's about 1.15 to 1.20 miles to the top, but who's counting. I guess it depends if you're riding 26 or 29er.

P.S. - The locals encourage travel on turkey pen road by "low clearance" vehicles. The state only grades the road once or twice a year so whatever you can do yourselves will be much appreciated!

Members who have read this thread: 0