Turkey Pen Parking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Turkey Pen Parking

A friend and I went to ride the Turkey Pen area yesterday. My car is low to the ground, not to mention old, so I parked in the gravel area, as usual, where the road to the trails Ts into Hwy 280. There were a bunch of "No Trespassing" all around the perimeter of the gravel parking area. Since they did not mention parking I took a chance and parked (without incident), but did not venture past the signs. We did feel like we were being watched though.

Does anyone have any information that could clarify parking at that spot? Thanks

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider
    A friend and I went to ride the Turkey Pen area yesterday. My car is low to the ground, not to mention old, so I parked in the gravel area, as usual, where the road to the trails Ts into Hwy 280. There were a bunch of "No Trespassing" all around the perimeter of the gravel parking area. Since they did not mention parking I took a chance and parked (without incident), but did not venture past the signs. We did feel like we were being watched though.

Does anyone have any information that could clarify parking at that spot? Thanks

technically you'd be parking your vehicle in someone's front yard. both sides of that road are private properties from 280 up until the forest boundary 1/2 mile in.

as for being watched... very likely!

mtbr member
    the gravel area is most likely in the Hwy 280 ROW, at least according to the county GIS map it is....

I would imagine the no trespassing signs are because people park on private property when the gravel area is full.
    many gears, some pies

2 wheels & a meat motor
    I've seen people parking there all the time, even horse trailers. That being said, this area is also used as a school bus turnaround. Blocking that use might cause problems????

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    just because it is ROW, does not mean it's ok to park there, if that were the case, you could park up to 10 feet off the road in anyone's front yard, and you could also drive through the middle of my backyard which has a ROW dividing it...

mtbr member
    As the road gets worse, those poor folks are probably seeing a lot more abuse to their yard. I'm sure there's a steady stream of trash and manure dropped there.

mtbr member
    pfft semantics - check the GIS, prop lines start well off the sides of 280 and the ROW may extend well up into the private property.

The full gravel area is shown on the GIS as part of Hwy 280 (state owned). AKAIK they use the survey markers to create the GIS so it should be pretty accurate. You might assume the no tresspassing sign wouldn't be put up outside the prop lines as technically that would be trespassing
    many gears, some pies

banned
    They graded or fixed at that road a few months ago and it was alot better, but I still see horse trailers parking by the road.
    Last edited by motobutane; 08-25-2010 at 12:29 PM.

mtbr member
    sh1t, that road has more technical features than the bottom of Black Mtn trail.

funny thing is most of the part maintained by the property owners is in OK shape, once the forest service maintenance starts it sucks.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    sh1t, that road has more technical features than the bottom of Black Mtn trail.

funny thing is most of the part maintained by the property owners is in OK shape, once the forest service maintenance starts it sucks.

Actually it was the other way around. The 3/4 mile (or so) through the private property to get to the Forest Service Boundary was in pitiful shape. One might not need 4WD, but one would need high clearance for sure. Once the road crossed the Forest Service Boundary sign the road improved in spades.

mtbr member
    Yeah, they just re-did the top. And when they got the grader to the parking lot, they just kept going and did Squirrel ;(

Bad joke.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Really, go check it out. The first 3/4 mile or so is crap, but when it crosses into the "boundary" the road improves drastically.

I am no FS cheerleader but the proof is just up the road
    Last edited by pisgahrider; 08-26-2010 at 06:28 AM.

mtbr member
    There is a church just up the road from there. I would think that on any other day than Sunday, it might be OK to park in their lot, as long as you don't get too naked or drink heavily. I don't know for sure, but I usually operate on the "forgiveness is easier to get than permission" principle.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

drunken pirate
    Those signs mean No Trespassing beyond the signs not in front of them. That's sort of the way No Trespassing signs work

So, does anyone know why Turkey Pen Rd. is in such bad shape? It is the worst road I've seen in Henderson County. It is a public road, right? Why don't they ever grade it?
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    Those signs mean No Trespassing beyond the signs not in front of them. That's sort of the way No Trespassing signs work

So, does anyone know why Turkey Pen Rd. is in such bad shape? It is the worst road I've seen in Henderson County. It is a public road, right? Why don't they ever grade it?

i think if i lived on that road i'd want to keep it the way it is... imagine the traffic back and fourth if it were smooth.... at least with all of the ruts and washed out sections they're weeding out all of the bigass airconditioned horsetrailers, RVs, lowriders, etc. ...

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood

Many road are NOT maintained by the county. Some are NCDOT maintained like hwy280 and some are privately maintained.
    I assume that the road is privately maintained until it crosses into the FS land and then it is federally maintained. It is the responsibility of the people who live on that road to maintain their portion. or not... If it was county maintained you could complain and they would be required to "fix" it.

FWIW I drive that road in my Nissan Altima. A low sports car would be a real problem but most sedans will get thru with some careful driving. It's not smooth but it's not impassible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    There is a church just up the road from there. I would think that on any other day than Sunday, it might be OK to park in their lot, as long as you don't get too naked or drink heavily. I don't know for sure, but I usually operate on the "forgiveness is easier to get than permission" principle.
    cause every good church goer knows that it's wrong to get naked and drink!!

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Many road are NOT maintained by the county. Some are NCDOT maintained like hwy280 and some are privately maintained.
    I assume that the road is privately maintained until it crosses into the FS land and then it is federally maintained. It is the responsibility of the people who live on that road to maintain their portion. or not... If it was county maintained you could complain and they would be required to "fix" it.

FWIW I drive that road in my Nissan Altima. A low sports car would be a real problem but most sedans will get thru with some careful driving. It's not smooth but it's not impassible.

That makes sense, thanks. I was thinking that unless a road was marked private it was publicly maintained but now that I think about it you're right. I think perhaps even the road I live on is not county maintained, lol...

My truck makes it up there without a problem but I only drive up there if I'm hiking or running with my dog. If I'm biking I park down at 280 right in front of the No Trespassing signs. Meeting a truck and horse trailer on their way down when you are on our way up is not fun
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    i think if i lived on that road i'd want to keep it the way it is.
    I have been told that's exactly what is happening. The road is intentionally not maintained to discourage excessive traffic.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    I have been told that's exactly what is happening. The road is intentionally not maintained to discourage excessive traffic.
    Sounds like we got some Haters

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    Sounds like we got some Haters
    Not drinkin the haterade...that's just what I heard. Couldn't care less personally...I gotta big ol truck.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member

Here's what I know

My driveway in Horse Shoe is very similiar. Steep and long. It is expensive to get gravel delivered. Obviously even more so now that petroleum's price has dramatically increased over the last five years. But that's half the battle. Buying the gravel is easy, getting someone to spread it and bank it is costly. The fact that the bottom of the road is private, maintenance is just a bad investment. All the water courses down only to wipe out the work you just had performed and deposit a new layer of gravel on 280.

Sometime over the winter when it was super sloshy I nearly slid off the side into the stream. How I made it up in my Scion was a miracle. The fact that I had trouble coming down was interesting. I noticed this year that someone had "drained" out the biggest puddle, everyone knows the one I'm talking about, by simply putting a tap into it. It worked.

Having talked to several of the property owners, cars and trailers are parking on the grass and further eroding the area by 280. You got to respect people's property people. The old man at the bottom is extremely nice and sometimes comes out to see how your ride or hike has been. He's shared a bunch of history with me, which I really do enjoy. 280 used to be a dirt, then gravel road, and has slowly evolved. The other family with the two dogs half way up are also very nice. They often hike in deep with their pooches with no water, making many of us look like pansies.

But be forewarned. I came out to my car several months ago and another rider parked near me showed me that his car had been shot in the side by someone. Apparently Turkey Pens and guns really don't have a spectacular relationship. And the guy with the paved driveway at the very beginning, the one with the boat... well, he too is a character.

Stickle: I chuckled at your post.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

Official Cooler Inspector
    I almost rented a cabin back up there in the early 80's. I was worried about getting snowed in. Old fella that "maintained" the road told me: I'll always plow it out sooner or later.

He was all about the chain saw, not so much about the snow.

I've always assumed it was a group effort (locals & FS) that kept it drivable. Since my Granny Wagon is a low-rider, till I get new shocks, I haven't been up there this year.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Obama should give me some money to pave it with concrete! PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by 4000psi
    Obama should give me some money to pave it with concrete! PLEASE!
    No
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turkey Pen Parking-obama.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    ...I gotta big ol truck.
    Yeah you do.

My one says BRAP!

Members who have read this thread: 0