Tsali Trail Work- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Tsali Trail Work

Does anyone know how the trail work at Tsali is going? What trails are they working on and when will they complete the work?

mtbr member
    I can't answer that question but I do have a comment since recently riding there (MB and TC side) after a 10-plus year absence and lots of NorCal riding and building/maintaining miles in that time.

The trails are getting gullied out because of the berm on the outslope that horse use always builds up. Even though the bench cuts are ok and most average grades reasonable and the soil good quality (in the woods, not the old road grades), if that berm is not knocked down to outslope the trails then water will run straight down.

It was sad to see those old trails needing so much love. There's so much more now to ride-- and better--it made me wonder if any mtb'ers really care about them anymore.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk
    It was sad to see those old trails needing so much love. There's so much more now to ride-- and better--it made me wonder if any mtb'ers really care about them anymore.
    I remember reading about Tsali a few years back as a destination, but when I moved here late last year, I was advised not to bother going there to ride -- that it has gotten beat up and abused by non-riders. Sad to say I've still not made it over there.

I love Pisgah
    I live next door to Tsali

As other trails are currently, Tsali is being dug up, widened, endless waterbars(many many are poorly made that will instantly turn into new mudholes) added, etc, right now. They're going thru and cutting the overgrowth way back(awesome!) then going back and dig'n it all up with a mini dozer(nice and WIDE ). The only one thats not done to date there, is Left loop. It'll be done with in a week or two from now. The other 3 are now ruined imo.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    Is it USFS? Is anybody talking to the land manager about sustainable trail building techniques? Does nobody care enough to adopt it?

It's not what you think.
    Is it USFS? Is anybody talking to the land manager about sustainable trail building techniques? Does nobody care enough to adopt it?
    IMHO Tsali is unadoptable. SORBA has been trying for years but the FS has turned a deaf ear. The once-every-5-years that IMBA rolls through is not enough to maintian the place.
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.

Bloated Cubs Fan
    I've never been there. I'm a noob, and I'm also mildly retarded. Would I have a good time?

mtbr member
    Well, that's too bad. I only went back for old time's sake, remembering good times back when Tsali was just about all we had to fly on. Next trip home I'm going to take a look at the trails behind NOC (pretty short, unfortunately), and otherwise concentrate on the two fun systems I found on this last trip: Kerr Scott and Tanasi. And get some more DuPont and Pisgah. Hope SORBA doesn't quit trying, though. For old time's sake.

I love Pisgah
    Well, that's too bad. I only went back for old time's sake, remembering good times back when Tsali was just about all we had to fly on. Next trip home I'm going to take a look at the trails behind NOC (pretty short, unfortunately), and otherwise concentrate on the two fun systems I found on this last trip: Kerr Scott and Tanasi. And get some more DuPont and Pisgah. Hope SORBA doesn't quit trying, though. For old time's sake.

Well.. the trails behind the NOC(Flint Ridge trails) has been partially destroyed by a new development from the back side. Yup.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Giant Robot

Terrible

Yes, I rode Thompson recently and it was among the least professional trail "maintenance" jobs I've ever seen. Ridiculously wide, lots of improperly sloped drainages, and a truly ungodly number of far too steep water bars (which ceased to be considered best practice in like the 70s). Truly, truly awful, especially for a trail system that draws so many tourists. Does anyone know the contractor that was used? I'm guessing it's something along the lines of "Bubba and the Xkuhvader He Done Builted."
    "Dada, you have an Owwie"

mtbr member
    Well booger!