Tsali suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Tsali suggestions

I'm driving up to TN for the Florida/Tenn game next weekend, and I'll be coming through NC. I'm planning on stopping by Tsali for a Friday afternoon of riding and was wondering if anybody has any pointers or tips for the riding the trails.

Are there any pitfalls a N. Florida rider should know about? Should I ride right or left, or both?

Thanks
    -Shek

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    There are 4 loops that make up the Tsali complex, and only 2 are open to bikes per day (and other 2 open to horses on that day). Loops are all a good ride, and you can combine them for a longer ride. You can not get lost there (or should I say it would be very difficult) so a great place for you to visit. Enjoy.

There is also some good riding in and around Knoxville, which is where I assume the game is.

Woody

mtbr member
    Florida should quit playing UT. It's not fair to the Vols. They get the crap kicked out of them by FLA every year. You could probably put Byrnes HS in Florida uniforms and they would still whoop UT.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

banned
    Aug 2010
    if you are riding on friday, you will have to ride right/left loop as mouse and thompson are hiking/horses on fridays. the thing to remember is just keep riding....all the trails come back to the parking lot eventually.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to the trails and scenery.

Go Gators!

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    wear long sleeves

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    long sleeves?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Majorly overgrown and undermaintained trail system ... Still fun and fast but ...

mtbr member
    All that for a $2.00 per head trail user fee.

banned
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoaNellie
    what a bargain!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty
    Majorly overgrown and undermaintained trail system ... Still fun and fast but ...
    All single track sections of Tsali are scheduled for maintenance work sometime soon, project is being funded with ARRA (stimulus package) money. I am surprised to hear the project has not started.

Woody

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I raised this point with the FS last year, wanting to know how much they collected and where the money went. The response, to help keep the outhouses clean (which is a load of crap).

Users who feel they do not get their money worth should write a letter to the district ranger and ask that either the money gets spent on the trails or the fee should be dropped.

Woody

mtbr member
    what a bargain!

Upon further review, that comes to .0002 cents per overgrown briar patch, .0034 cents per mud bog/pond, .066 cents per downed tree/limb............but I have a clean loo at the end of the day. That is a bargain!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    what a bargain!

Upon further review, that comes to .0002 cents per overgrown briar patch, .0034 cents per mud bog/pond, .066 cents per downed tree/limb............but I have a clean loo at the end of the day. That is a bargain!
    It's Mountain Biking in the forest, it isn't suppose to be all clean, mud-less and limb free.

Slightly askew
    Trail work has started at Tsali. Thompson was closed earlier this week. They are cutting the brush back 4 feet and working some of the bad sections. Left is severely overgrown.
    Zero charisma

mtbr member
    "It's Mountain Biking in the forest, it isn't suppose to be all clean, mud-less and limb free."

Thanks for pointing that out. I might not have known otherwise.

My point is the $2.00/person fee that, while it may be nominal, adds up to a fair sum of money based on the number of people that use these trails. Given that, I expect the trails to be maintained to at least a reasonable standard.
    There have been 20' X 30' pools of water/mud standing in the trail of the right loop, Trees down that have caused reroutes of the trail by riders and brush overgrowing the trail to the point that you cannot see the trail itself.
    Tsali is a "recreation area" which I consider a far cry from the trails of Pisgah and "the forest". It is self contained (geographically) and the monies it receives through fees for use should be applied where they are advertised to go, which is trail maintenance.
    Tsali is much like Kerr Scott and could be equally as nice if given some TLC.

This just in:

"Trail work has started at Tsali. Thompson was closed earlier this week. They are cutting the brush back 4 feet and working some of the bad sections. Left is severely overgrown"

Thanks strangerthanmilhouse for the update and confirmation of the conditons.

banned
    This just in:

Now thats funny!

mtbr member
    May 2010

Thanks much

Thanks for the info everybody, much appreciated.

-Shek

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Right and Left Loops are very overgrown in spots unfortunately.p

Rogue Exterminator
    After 4 years, maybe we should just let the thread die.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Members who have read this thread: 0