Tsali on a Single Speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Tsali on a Single Speed

Going to Tsali for a few days in July for the first time. I plan to ride a singlespeed 29er. Any advice on gearing? I hear the climbs aren't very severe but I am from Florida and have found "flat" is relative when it comes to mountain biking. Also, I hear its crazy crowded in the summer. Are weekdays ok or is it still packed? Thanks.

Single Speed Junkie
    Jan 2008
    Tsali in the summer will be very crowded on the weekends but probably not as much during the week.

I've not ridden my SS there, but I would run 32x20 there (with my 29er). My single speed will go there with me next time I go. That will be a good ride. While you're there stop by the Nantahala Outdoor Center and ride the trail behind there (can't remember the name of it but the employees can get you there).

Mike

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Last time I rode tsali I was on a 34-16 (26 inch rear wheel) and that felt great on the left and right loops. A bit tall on the mouse branch and thompson loops. I live in Winston-Salem, which isn't Florida flat, but not mountainous either. Bring a low gear if you plan on riding anything in the area that isn't Tsali- but I'd stay pretty tall for Tsali as it feels great fast!

Slightly askew
    I live a couple of miles from Tsali and will only ride my SS there. Im riding a 29r GT Peace with 32-20 and have a blast. On my Surly 1x1 i ran 32-18 for cruzing and 32-17 during races. The only place i have to walk is the steep climb on rt.loop backwards. Oh yeah, i'd avoid weekends and after heavy rains. One more thing bring lights and a bell.
    Zero charisma

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I ran a 32x20 on a 29er as well. Great area for a SS. Rolls very well.

WNC Native
    I haven't had my SS over there YET, but I'd run 32x20 also. It would be a fun ss trail system.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I rode my 26 inch there in the fall with 32x19. It climbed fine but these trails are faster and smoother than what I normally get to ride, so I was really wishing I had a 32x17 honestly. A little more work on the uphuill is worth it to move faster on these smooth trails. 32x17 or 18 is my vote. And I think 32x19 is the lowest you would need here, and I am not superman.
    Nothing really clever to say here.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    good stuff all. thanks! ill bring a bunch of cogs (cause i am fat and lazy) but i will start out 32x20.
    the light and bell comment got me thinking...are the trails open after dark?
    smooth tack sounds like a nice place for night rides no?
    anywhere close you guys recommend to grab a few beverages in the evening?

mtbr member
    I'm planning on ridiing here this year on my Mary SS (32/20).

Be mindful of which trails are open on which days. They alternate.

http://www.main.nc.us/graham/hiking/tsali.html

I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by craig laing
    good stuff all. thanks! ill bring a bunch of cogs (cause i am fat and lazy) but i will start out 32x20.
    the light and bell comment got me thinking...are the trails open after dark?
    smooth tack sounds like a nice place for night rides no?
    anywhere close you guys recommend to grab a few beverages in the evening?
    Yes. great place to night ride.

The NOC just west a few miles. Rivers End(sits out over the Nanty river) rest. there is good for a decent meal and beers. We eat there about once a week. They are also building an outside bar currently as well. Almost done.

Bryson City is also has a few places just east about the same distance.
    Last edited by Duckman; 05-14-2009 at 06:20 PM.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    I ussually put my truck in high gear and go right past Tsali and head to Fontana with my singlespeed! I tried to stop there for a recovery ride last time but someone slashed my tire on my SS after the Icycle. Have fun. Don't miss Pisgah while your up here!

Members who have read this thread: 0