Tsali/ Dark Mountain Trip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Tsali/ Dark Mountain Trip

Planning our annual Western NC with our first trip to Tsali and plan to come back to Raleigh through Dark Mountain.

Here is what I have gathered but let me know what is better in your "experience" as well as if there are any pointers.

Edit: Leaving Monday early am to Tsali and hope to get in L or R that afternoon.

Tsali:
    Campground: Turkey Creek
    Trails:
    Left and Right loop (Open- sun, mon, wed, fri),
    Thompson, Mouse Branch (Open- tues thurs, sat)

Edit: Leaving Tsali around noon on wed so we can get in another loop on L or R

Dark Mt.
    Campground: Bandits Roost
    Trails:
    Overmountain, Warrior Creek, and Dark Mountain

If I am missing anything please let me know and as always suggestions are appreciated.
    Last edited by Ral83178; 05-20-2009 at 05:06 AM.

Official Cooler Inspector
    What arrival day? How many in your group? Turkey is a great place, but you could possibly ride the trails straight from your camp site as well - first come - no reservations.

You have the ability to look up Tsali for what trails are MTB vs Horse on which days.

Fontana Village is just a few miles west. Worth a side trip.

Ducky-man may chime in...
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

is no longer new
    May 2008
    yeah, you forgot the stop in BLACK MOUNTAIN.
    CallMeTheNewGuy bikes across the US, summer 2010:

crazyguyonabike.com/doc/caravanofcrazies

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Dogs?

Also- Has anyone taken their dogs to Tsali/ Dark Mt? I'm not familiar with the area and wanted to see if they are really strict or not with dogs on trails (off leash).

29er zealot
    I can't attest to Tsali, but at Dark Mountain I think for the most part you'd be okay. I've run into a pack of beagles out on the dark mountain trails a few times, and they are not the most cordial dogs I've run into. Just beware that there are quite a few other trail users, especially on the weekends, not all of which might be thrilled with unleashed dogs.

banned
    If your set on Tsali then go, But if it were me I would much rather ride Bent creek area ( with its own camping)then Tsali. Not to mention the miles of trails from the Ranger station or Fish hatchery area in Pisgah.

Asheville YetiRider
    I could not agree more. If I was coming from out of town I would not even consider Tsali unless I HAD to be there as some form of punishment or if I had too much time on my hands. I might go there just once to confirm that its not all that's it's cracked up to be.
    Bent Creek and Pisgah offer so many more option's that I can't even use Tsali and Pisgah in the same sentance....oops
    There are Mountain Bikes and then there is "The Santa Cruz High Ball"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Good deal!

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure that it is not the last time i will take a trip to western NC so black Mt and bent Creek area are also on my list.

Thanks again!

Tom

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a question on the trail conditions. Here in Raleigh the trails close due to wet and muddy conditions. Is it the same in Tsali and or Dark Mountain?

I ask because I am looking at the weather for Bryson and Wilksboro and is looks wet this week. We are planning on heading out on Monday June 1. Just looking to see if we should delay our trip if all the trails will be closed.

Thanks

Tom

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    They won't be closed per se, but it will more than likely too wet to ride if you're not into destroying the trails if the forecasts hold up. Tsali in particular has really suffered from people riding in inappropriate conditions as well as a real lack of trail maintenance. If I had the option I would hold off and come when the forecast looks better.

I love Pisgah
    Tsali was fine yesterday(for Tsali ). Just a smaller then average amt of the those small, but sometimes deep mudholes on Right.

But, it rained for awhile last night. ..again. Supposed to be on/off all week concerning the rain.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Members who have read this thread: 0