Tsali condition for SERC april 3rd??- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    120

    Tsali condition for SERC april 3rd??

    so with 6hrs of WC and the Dragon's Tale in VA it looks like nobody is heading to tsali for the SERC XC race sunday. can anyone comment on the conditions over there?? its rained a bit here in boone, but i'm not sure tsali got enough rain to warrant dedicated mud spikes. i plan on bringing two sets of wheels/tires, but which ones to mount up is still in the air. thanks in advance.

    jg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    74
    Tsali is a road race. Bring a cycle cross bike with slicks. Dragons Tale sounds like a real mountain bike race.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Getalife
    Tsali is a road race. Bring a cycle cross bike with slicks. Dragons Tale sounds like a real mountain bike race.

    creative - i haven't heard that before. i guess i should getalife...

    p.s. i would love to ride with you there on my mtb - you on your cx with slicks...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    74
    I have seen racers on cx bikes in previous races. Even sport class hacks average 13 mph. Point and pedal. No tech skills required.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    120
    thanks for the clarification - now i know tsali is no tech required. thankfully i have no tech skills so that should be good.

    so my question was not clear enough - did it rain inches or tenths of inches ie: is it mud soup over in almond, nc?? thanks in advance.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2
    headed to Tsali early saturday morn to meet with some friends from PA..did not realize there is a race there this weekend. We will be there thru tuesday to ride and enjoy the area, hope the trails are in good shape

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by josephgrimes
    thanks for the clarification - now i know tsali is no tech required. thankfully i have no tech skills so that should be good.

    so my question was not clear enough - did it rain inches or tenths of inches ie: is it mud soup over in almond, nc?? thanks in advance.
    Hey Joseph,
    Met you at Bent Creek last year with Randy Simpson one afternoon. I would run something along the lines of a SB8 or Python. We have got a fair amount of rain but Tsali has than black mud that dries pretty quickly with traffic so other than the potholes, you'll be fine. Of course I am just one of those hack locals that is lucky to manage 13mph.

    Good luck this weekend, I may take the family over there to camp this weekend.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    120
    cruso414 - that was back before motobutane 'saw the light'!!! cool - thanks for your input. the only time i've ridden there in the wet was actually in the rain where your tires get washed out while riding, i've been worried about this "get some rain. have a day to kind of dry up. mud that sticks and doesn't let go" like fontana dam jam 2009.... oh, and i think a few pro's were averaging 13mph last year... see you soon. jg

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chromejesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    83
    I was there on Tuesday and it wasn't bad there are areas that stay damp but its nothing nasty. I second Cruso's recommendation of small block eights. I used to run k-rads at Tsali, if that helps any.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plume's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,659
    Thanks was going to post this same question. Think I'll run race tires for sure. And that's a bone head comment about Tsali - we already know it's a fast trail with little tech. It's a race course and it's a lovely race course at that. Considering I ride Pisgah 90% of the time when I ride trails it's a great change of pace and suits most average riders. Plus the Gone Riding folks are awesome and it's been too long since I supported one of their races...
    My one says BRAP!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plume's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Getalife
    I have seen racers on cx bikes in previous races. Even sport class hacks average 13 mph. Point and pedal. No tech skills required.
    I haven't ridden Tsali since the trail work but it was never suited for a CX bike. Those folks were wrong. It's a flow style trail system - great change of pace versus every thing else in the area. Sounds like you're not fit enough to pedal w/ the "roadies" to me.

    My one says BRAP!

  12. #12
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    Thanks was going to post this same question. Think I'll run race tires for sure. And that's a bone head comment about Tsali - we already know it's a fast trail with little tech. It's a race course and it's a lovely race course at that. Considering I ride Pisgah 90% of the time when I ride trails it's a great change of pace and suits most average riders. Plus the Gone Riding folks are awesome and it's been too long since I supported one of their races...
    Well said.

    This average rider likes Tsali. Just because your teeth don't get rattled out of your head when you ride it, doesn't mean it isn't fun. If it ain't fun, maybe you're not riding it fast enough?
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2
    the riding conditions where awesome at tsali..my first time there..not the most technical..but definitely lots o" fun

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.