Trip Report - Dupont (and a thanks!)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trip Report - Dupont (and a thanks!)

First, thanks to all the folks who gave me advice in this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/north-south-c...on-923427.html as to where to ride in Dupont. I took your advice yesterday and had a great trip.

I met my brother-in-law at The Hub bike shop. WOW. Great people, great service, great shop, beer on tap, and a BBQ joint out the back door? Love it. I'll be back.

We parked at Corn Mill and rode Corn Mill > Burnt Mountain > Corn Mill (socks to cross the creek was a good call!) > Laurel Ridge > Mine Mountain > Reasonover > Airstrip > Corn Mill

WOW! One of the best rides I've ever had.

We rode Burnt Mountain clockwise based on advice from the folks at The Hub. Good climb to the top and a wicked hard descent to the bottom. That was one of the most technical trails I've ridden in years. How's it rate to you pros? Unfortunately, my brother in law was on a new bike and is a relatively new rider so he had some hard crashes on that trail. But he lived!

Corn Mill, Laurel Ridge, and Mine Mountain were great flowy trails. They were in great shape and fun and fast.

Reasonover quickly became my favorite. The climb wasn't bad but the descent was great!

Then we hit Airstrip. That became my favorite!

Then we hit the eastern section of Corn Mill...that became my favorite with the granite climbing and fast but technical descending.

Then we met back at The Hub for beer and war stories and Wild Hawg BBQ.

Great trip!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sounds like you have many new "favorite trails". Glad you enjoyed our little trail system.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Kevin, how many miles did you ride in total?
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

mtbr member
    Only 14.5 according to Strava. But we were out there for a loooooong time. My brother in law handled it all well but needed a lot of breaks. I didn't mind waiting at all as we made a day of it.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Glad you enjoyed it! Not sure how far away you are, but there's a fully-supported ride there this weekend where the proceeds support trail work. Check out the Save the Trails Challenge - Pisgah Area SORBA » Blog Archive » Save The Trails Challenge August 23rd, 2014 ? MTB or Ultra Run

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Awesome! But you missed Big Rock and Cedar, correct? It was right there . Next time you need to hit it.

IMO that tech. section on burnt rivals a lot of the tech in pisgah, but is just much, much shorter than pretty much anything in pisgah. It is also a different type of tech. since it is more rock armor with drops than a true rock garden such as the top part of farlow. But the challenge comes from the steepness and the little drops if you take the fast line down it.

mtbr member
    I'm sure we missed a LOT of good trails. Basically, we stuck to the SW corner of the area. Fortunately, The Hub is only 2:10 minutes from my door in NE Atlanta. Amazing how close it is and the drive up SC-11 and SC-130 in my little sports sedan was almost worth the trip alone! Fun fun fun.

My brother in law has a cabin near Asheville so we'll do some weekend trips this fall for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Kevin, how were the trail markings? Was it easy to find your way? I've been itching to get up there and ride Big Rock and Cedar, along with some of the trails that you rode.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    Kevin, how were the trail markings? Was it easy to find your way? I've been itching to get up there and ride Big Rock and Cedar, along with some of the trails that you rode.
    They're well marked, but I'd recommend the Pisgah Map Company map of DuPont. You can get it at Sycamore or The Hub on the way in, and their maps are superior to anything else I've used.

If you're all digitized and trust it, you can get a PDF version off their Web site that'll work on your phone, show your bearing, etc.

mtbr member

Trip Report - Dupont (and a thanks!)

Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    The trails are very well marked and the entire area was extremely easy to navigate for a first timer. But you need a good map. I LOVE reading topo maps so I was in heaven but I guess a GPS version would be OK. We picked one up at The Hub and they were nice enough to recommend a good set of trails and point the route out on the map for us. I checked the map at every intersection just to be sure.

We rode a lot of trails...at least 12, and passed signs for a dozen more to make our loop. You can't get lost, but if you're trying to hit specific trails, you'll want a map for sure.

There are a LOT of trails out there!

(and my poor riding partner had to listen to me discuss the terrain all day. "So we're at about 2620 ft. We're climbing to 2900 then we descend down to the lake at 2540..." Shut up and ride, Kevin!)

Edited: I bought the Pisgah Map Company map. It's fantastic. In addition to having accurate depiction of every trail, it's got a bunch of recommended routes on the back. It's a REALLY big map. I'm going to buy a second and frame it for my BIL.
    Last edited by KevinGT; 08-19-2014 at 05:09 AM.

mtbr member
    I always throw in a Longside > Pinetree > Cascade > Road > Rock Quarry Road > Buck Road > Micajah > Wilke for good measure at the end of a CMS lot ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My first time there this weekend as well….didn't realize to take the second entrance to Burnt mountain, so I rode opposite direction and when I got to the main rock features, I was like "this is a sick joke", so it was a walker for me…..mad skills to the guys that can make it up. Ridgeline was my overall fav., but also enjoyed Hickory Mountain trail loop, at top of Ridgeline. (3) days of 15-25 miles riding each day and I've never been more tired…..awesome trip and next time will change to a smaller chain ring.