Triangle MTBers -- "Cary" trail length/route?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Triangle MTBers -- "Cary" trail length/route?

First of all, mods yes this is an unofficial trail... I understand and agree with the policy and reasons of not talking about them publicly, but I already know where it is and have ridden it and am just trying to get some details. The general location info I put here won't allow anyone not in the know to find them, but enough info for those in the know to answer my question. Even the most remote allusion to them on trianglemtb gets deleted... maybe it's more reasonable here. Responses strictly via PM is fine. /disclaimer

On the road near Weston where everyone parks, the trail on the left (named for a number, not an ice cream)... how long is it? Someone told me around 12 miles?

Also, they said there's some left turn near the mid-way point that you need to take or it doubles back on itself and you don't ride it all? Am I good if I just keep left the whole way, or are there loops?

If anyone has a Garmin or even a MSPaint map they could send me, that would be great. It's always been late in the day, or started to rain every time I've ridden it, and never wanted to commit myself to that whole track without knowing where I am or where I'm going.

Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    12 miles is an accurate mileage

Work in a CW direction and you'll see the predominate path will get you all the mileage. I think it is mainly staying to the left. Nice trail I guess, but I see people come out of there covered in mud claiming that it was mostly dry. Lot of rain this week...

Across the street drains much better, is more technical, and the noobs stay off of it. A better choice IMHO

mtbr member
    Thanks for that. Things look to have finally dried out a bit. Will try running the whole track tomorrow. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Garmin Connect gives you everything you will ever need, ever, ever ever.
    12 miles is accurate, if you get lost, you'll simply have more trail to enjoy.
    It seems to grow about 10%/yr as well...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Finally, a place where this trail can be discussed. My big question about this trail is the preferred direction. IMO the ideal direction is counter clockwise, not clockwise, the trail flows much better this direction, downhill sections are more fun, the run outs are much better. Riding clockwise, many of the downhills lead sharp turns at the end of downhill resulting in sharp braking, which really kills the flow of the trail. Ride the trail back to back in opposite directions and keep mental notes. And, stop looking at me funny cause I am going the wrong way.

mtbr member
    Also a fan of CCW, although I usually do one of each if I'm only riding there (and not looping with other trails or Umstead) to keep it interesting. I find CW to have tougher climbing and the TTFs aren't as fun in that direction so I usually ride CW first and finish with CCW.

mtbr member
    I went out today, rode a little further but got super-lost. I dropped in near the bridge and came out -- eventually -- at the rock-pile. Spent about an hour riding in circles in the area between what appears to between the main loops. I was looking for the trail I came in on by the pond but could not find it to save my life. If any of you were the guy on the s-works stumpy that pointed me to the other exit, thanks!

I actually searched Garmin before I posted here and couldn't find it. I was putting the name of the trail and Cary for the location, which finds nothing. Changed it a little and now found it. Thanks. I forgot to charge my GPS today, but will take it next time now that I have a map to compare it against. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0