'That tree' on Boyd Branch- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

'That tree' on Boyd Branch

Wasn't so long ago you could ride under it, then you had to lean a bit, last time getting all the way left and ducking to the bars got by it, today, it was the Frog March.

Such an easy-going, short trail shouldn't have a dismount, should it? What could they do to me if I brought a saw?

IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

mtbr member
    Can it be tackled with a handsaw? Unless you are a certified sawyer through the USFS please do not attempt this with a chainsaw. I hear the USFS punishment is worse than death. Rumors of bamboo under the finger nails type stuff.

mtbr member
    That thing is about 2-3 feet around. I would pay good money to see someone cut it with a hand saw.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    If you "require" help on the "wrong" side of the log the Fire and Rescue guys may come and remove it the next day like they did on Green's Lick.
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    That thing is about 2-3 feet around. I would pay good money to see someone cut it with a hand saw.
    Hand saws are todays Black&White TVs.

It's not that big, maybe 8" diameter. My laser-cut Piranha toolbox saw would go thru it in no time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I'll take care of it.

My ankle and leg should be healed in the next couple of months so, if you all can be patient, I'll perform my next selfless act on Boyd Branch....just like I did on GL about 6 weeks ago (yep, that was me). Clearly, I'm more concerned about the collective interests, safety, and convenience of others than a mere ride and, without hesitation, I'll take one for the team....although it is kind of freaky being able to feel bolt heads under ones skin. It's tough being so saintly and good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    how much?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    how much?
    Really!!!

I'll be there Saturday morning, Mikeridesabike, bring money. No, good money!

Official Cooler Inspector
    You got bolts? I got bolts and a big t-plate too. I don't know your situation, but there's a lot of nice low cost slip-on knee/leg protectors out there. They are usually listed in the soccer categories. I have to wear mine sideways, so standard leg guards won't work.

Hope you heal up well and keep "bike active".
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

pronounced may-duh
    I rode boyd branch today and did not encounter any blockages

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    I rode boyd branch today and did not encounter any blockages

I was wondering if they weren't referring to the tree on the lower section of Explorer loop, close to the Rhododendron tunnel? That tree has steadily settled lower and lower since last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter
    I was wondering if they weren't referring to the tree on the lower section of Explorer loop, close to the Rhododendron tunnel? That tree has steadily settled lower and lower since last year.
    Boyd Branch, 665 on your trail map, runs from Bent Creek Rd up to the Forest Service Rd formerly known as Sidehill. It's on the North Side; Explorers on the South. Shouldn't be any confoosion there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 450VoltsDC
    Boyd Branch, 665 on your trail map, runs from Bent Creek Rd up to the Forest Service Rd formerly known as Sidehill. It's on the North Side; Explorers on the South. Shouldn't be any confoosion there.

Yup you are correct. Maida commented there was no tree blocking the trail when he rode Boyd Branch yesterday so we are trying to pinpoint where you are referring to the blockage. May have been taken care of already. If not we know folks who can legally chainsaw trees in Bent Creek. I do know there is also a tree on lower Explorer that needs attention.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by 450VoltsDC
    I think the "confoosion" may be that no one seems to know of a tree down on Boyd Branch. Most folks here know the trail names/numbers fairly well. Personally, I'm in the I don't know what you speak of crowd.