Training for ORAMM- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Training for ORAMM

Just got coerced into registering for ORAMM. Having never done something of this proportion, I'm looking for suggestions for preparation/training. Anyone have training plans for this year or past years which they can share to get prepared for this?

I'm in Raleigh, so I don't have the opportunity to train extended climbs for long durations.

I'm not concerned with 'racing' it. Mostly just want to finish.
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

mtbr member
    Just get out and do some long rides (3 hours or so) added to what you usually do, but try to have some intensity mixed in there to prepare you for the hills and hike a bike hills... The biggest thing is to get your nutrition dialed, have your rest stop nutrition plan ready... It is a long race, just plan on bonking at some point in the race and limping the rest of the way!! It is fun if you have never done it before for sure!

consistent default champ
    This is my first year doing the ORAMM also. I have a road bike so I plan on doing a few centuries. I live in Greenville, SC so I have plenty of climbing close by. I have a 102 mile road event with 10K climbing in three weeks. If I can survive that doing something I like, I think I will be fine doing something similar that I love.
    I will not go to Pisgah alone but luckily one of the guys on my race team did the ORAMM last year so he is going to take me for a few rides on the course trails so I have some idea of the torture parts like Curtis Creek (I've only been to Pisgah a hand full of times and usually near the Brevard part).
    And my goal is survival. I like trying to suffer through an event to see if I can do it.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you should be good to go as long as your technical descending skills are pretty good..
    have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i would not recommend that you start training for this yet. It's not hot enough to even mimic the conditions, and as I stated in another post, if you start training now, you will bulk up waaayy too much muscle. Don't do it....you have been warned.

If you want my full training plan just paypal $100 and I will give you a detailed training plan that will ensure you make it at least to rest stop #1!!

pronounced may-duh
    Bizzaro world
    Is it too early to start training for this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So I did some research. I'm going to assume that one would want to treat this 63mi with climbs close in stress to a road century.

So I dug up some road century training plans, and it seems like people use 8-12 weeks to ramp up for one of those. Hence, I think now is the perfect time to start training.

I dug up this plan which I think I am going to follow:
    http://nmbikensport.com/articles/you...-plan-pg75.htm

It actually will work out really nice since we have 9 weeks to ORAMM, and I will be in Europe (hence bikeless) for a week next month. So the extra week gives me a nice buffer where I can just do some ~hour jogs to sustain my fitness before I return stateside to get back on the saddle, resume training, and burn off all that excess Belgian beer/chocolate.

As far as getting acclimated to the heat, that will come with the weekend rides, I'd say. I'm traditionally way better at handling hot weather than all of my friends, though. I plan on spending a fair amount of this training on a road bike or trainer, at least for the easy and short/fast rides. Though the goal is to always make it out on the trails for the endurance training rides, weather permitting.

I guess when it gets closer to the race, I'll try to figure out race day nutrition. Does anyone have any good resources for that sort of stuff?

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    ORAMM is harder than a road century
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    Perhaps. But doing several centuries with lots of climbing would be good training for ORAMM if you can't train in the mountains. The course is mainly gravel.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Forget the $100 sjanes training plan. I'll give you the details. Roll out of bed about 7:00 a.m., shove a cream danish down your throat, and go knock that little ride out in about 5-6 hours....simple. Stay out of his way though, he carries a sword.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have also done several road centuries in the past couple of years, some with gravel at the intersections, so I should be good to go...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    I have also done several road centuries in the past couple of years, some with gravel at the intersections, so I should be good to go...
    I think you're forgetting that Todd did not get Starbucks as a race sponsor this year - therefore, your regular nutrition drink, the Grande Mocha, will not be available at the rest stops (not to mention no creamcheese danish). I'd have to say you're effed my friend!!

OP - I'm in CLT and we have no hills here either. I ride an average of 3hrs a week and I finished in a reasonable time last year. It really helps to get over that way and do a couple big rides including the worst of the climbs so you know what to expect and can pace yourself accordingly..this is a course where you will be in serious pain if you burn your candle to early

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ftw
    It really helps to get over that way and do a couple big rides including the worst of the climbs so you know what to expect and can pace yourself accordingly..this is a course where you will be in serious pain if you burn your candle to early

LMAO! Yeah, what he said for sure! The absolute worst climb comes right at about the time when I bonked in a major way from hammering out the first three hours way to hard!! It sucked majorly to be out of gas and cramping for the next 4 hours!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I think you're forgetting that Todd did not get Starbucks as a race sponsor this year - therefore, your regular nutrition drink, the Grande Mocha, will not be available at the rest stops (not to mention no creamcheese danish). I'd have to say you're effed my friend!!

OP - I'm in CLT and we have no hills here either. I ride an average of 3hrs a week and I finished in a reasonable time last year. It really helps to get over that way and do a couple big rides including the worst of the climbs so you know what to expect and can pace yourself accordingly..this is a course where you will be in serious pain if you burn your candle to early
    See you at the start line, then we'll see who's what.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I think it's safe to say you'll beat me by at least 2hrs..lol.

Thread Killer
    For those of you in the area, I now have possession of an sjanes' set of road wheels, so he's kind of screwed when it comes to training for a bit. That, or he will crush you since he can only ride knobbies. I too am taking PayPal donations for the supersecret training plan, since I've already tried to ride the course twice and gotten lost, so I have the inside knowledge that comes from bonking and finding yourself in a hunter's trap deep inside Pisgah ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crossboy
    For those of you in the area, I now have possession of an sjanes' set of road wheels, so he's kind of screwed when it comes to training for a bit. That, or he will crush you since he can only ride knobbies. I too am taking PayPal donations for the supersecret training plan, since I've already tried to ride the course twice and gotten lost, so I have the inside knowledge that comes from bonking and finding yourself in a hunter's trap deep inside Pisgah ...
    for the record, I loaned my wheels to crossboy to help him improve his training...I won't need them back until 3 weeks before the race.

Thread Killer
    for the record, I loaned my wheels to crossboy to help him improve his training...I won't need them back until 3 weeks before the race.
    Good, 'cause at the rate I'm going, that'll be about how long it takes me to rebuild them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crossboy
    Good, 'cause at the rate I'm going, that'll be about how long it takes me to rebuild them.
    not what i wanted to hear....

just put in half the spokes if it will speed things up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just finished my training this past Saturday.

I'm now fully prepared and ready to do it.

mtbr member
    A friend and I are riding part of the course this Sunday (May 30) if anyone's interested in joining us. Probably start down by 40 at the Kitsuma trailhead to Old Fort, then to CC to the parkway and decide whether to cross the parkway or just turn left to HBR and back down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xPneu
    A friend and I are riding part of the course this Sunday (May 30) if anyone's interested in joining us. Probably start down by 40 at the Kitsuma trailhead to Old Fort, then to CC to the parkway and decide whether to cross the parkway or just turn left to HBR and back down.
    What time are you guys riding? I might be able to join..

Have you considered starting at the Geyser? That way you get a bit of a warm-up before Kitsuma (mill creek or old 70) and you'll also end with a DH (instead of 5mi climb)

mtbr member
    What time are you guys riding? I might be able to join..

Have you considered starting at the Geyser? That way you get a bit of a warm-up before Kitsuma (mill creek or old 70) and you'll also end with a DH (instead of 5mi climb)
    We're pushing off at ~8am, figger we'll have plenty of time to go slow, get lost, whatever. I'm on a rigid SS and my friend is from flat eastern NC, plus we're old, so we'll be slow...bear that in mind.

I'm actually staying on Mill Creek heading south toward 40, so figure we'd start/end there but could adjust.

Happy to have you join us.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    I'm absolutely sure this is true - the road century I did last weekend was only 5k of climbing for the entire route and I only averaged 17.5mph. I also find that I don't have to have nearly the level of concentration on the road bike as far as suffering a long climb, etc as is required on the mountain bike on singletrack.

However, there is one road century I've done and will do again this year that I'd like to have a comparison to ORAMM for those that have done both. That's the Six Gap Century in Helen, GA. Has anyone done that century with 11,000 ft+ of climb (Hogpen Gap is about 7 miles long with an average of 7% grade and stretches of 15%) and can compare it for me to ORAMM?

I've done a couple of 6 hour solo events this year as well that were 99% singletrack the entire time and in those I wasn't able to clear more than about 7.5mph average in the 95+ temperatures so I'm trying to figure out how hard/long it's going to be at ORAMM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So I'm beginning to think I may be in over my head on this race. I've been training for the race since my post, and did a training ride on Saturday. We did the big loop, minus the Kitsuma loops. Started at the Geyser, went up the lower part of HB, down the fireroad to CC, up CC, down the FR across BRP, back to BRP, down BRP, and down HB. It took me 7 hours to do this, averaging a pace of 5.5 mph. At that pace for 63 miles, that means I'm looking at a 12:15 ORAMM, when there is only 12:30 of daylight before the finish line closes. :-(

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehollx
    ....down the FR across BRP, back to BRP, down BRP, and down HB.
    I think you meant "up BRP" ; )

Just show up and give it a go - you'll ride faster than you think with 350-400 others suffering along-side..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, up. It's funny that people mention that the CC climb is so painful, but I think that the climb back up the FR on the backside of BRP was worse, since it was so soon after the 2hr CC climb.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I've never considered living near South Mtn to be a luxury however for ORAMM training it will come in handy. Don't worry about it stevehollx, either you will finish or you won't. Only one way to find out! This will be my first mountain bike race of any type ever. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. I have a feeling I too will be racing daylight more than anything else.
    Last edited by zod; 06-28-2010 at 09:41 AM.

consistent default champ
    I did my 102 mile road ride with 10k climbing a few weeks ago. The longest climb was 6.5 miles long. I felt rough because that was how it ended ~ on top of a mountain.
    I rode half of the ORAMM yesterday starting out on Curtis Creek. OMG that is one long frickin' gravel road climb! After 17 miles of gravel road, 1 mile climbing the BR Parkway we finally got to Heartbreak. That was awesome!! Or at least after you hike-a-bike to where the downhill started it was awesome.
    My legs are sorer today than they were after riding my road century with lots of climbing. It is going to be a long day in the saddle. We did 32 miles in five hours. Probably 30 minutes of that was stopping to eat, bs and stopping for a moment to calm the nausea while climbing (me personally, they guys I was riding with were fine)

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by zod
    I've never considered living near South Mtn to be a luxury however for ORAMM training it will come in handy. Don't worry about it stevehollx, either you will finish or you won't. Only one way to find out! This will be my first mountain bike race of any type ever. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. I have a feeling I too will be racing daylight more than anything else.

ORAMM...

The beginner race of champions.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Say hi on the first climb when you pass me Rich...hopefully I can at least beat you there with gears.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zod
    I've never considered living near South Mtn to be a luxury however for ORAMM training it will come in handy.
    Are the ORAMM climbs steeper than South Mountain?

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I don't think there is anything as steep as the hike-a-bike after the creek crossing.....that's one steep mo'fo

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I think I am going to start training this week....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

July 9th

Anyone want to ride HB July 9th (Fri) starting from the Geyser including the Blk Mtn side lemme know...prolly shove off about 9am

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Is the race production crew planning on de-thorning Star Gap before the race? Last time we were on it (two weeks ago) Star Gap was a epidermal shred fest.

I'm planning another ride through there next weekend and I think I may end up bringing shin pads and throwing a long sleeve shirt on. Or coat my arms and legs in vasoline.

Hopefully on race day I'll be far enough back that everyone will tear through it and clean it up for me and it won't matter. :-D

Thread Killer
    I just let Snotrotter go on ahead -- seemed to work a couple of weeks back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If you don't want the hazards of a mtn bike race you should try road racing.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you don't want the hazards of a mtn bike race you should try road racing.....
    LOL..then you can shave your legs and sit outside SBUX with your road bike on Sat morning

Last year I remember it being much more trampled by the time I came through during the race as compared to 3-weeks prior. It's really only a couple short sections that are really overgrown with prickers right now..

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Anyone want to ride HB July 9th (Fri) starting from the Geyser including the Blk Mtn side lemme know...prolly shove off about 9am
    I recommend riding up HB to the parkway, then on race day it will feel much faster..

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Is it too late to start training?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Was my first race...

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    ORAMM...

The beginner race of champions.
    Hey now. The 2006 ORAMM was my first bike race *ever*, and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I bonked so freaking hard on Curtis Creek that I fell over when both legs cramped at the same time. Naturally, after such an experience I became hooked on bike racing since then. It hurt so good.

But yes, no matter how much talent or fitness you have, if ORAMM is your introduction to bike racing be prepared to suffer.

Cameron Cogburn

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsuma
    Is it too late to start training?
    I would recommend this weekend as a starting point. go ahead and get some 20-30 minute rides in and see how you feel, but it's hot so don't overdo it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Is free (primitive) camping available anywhere?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I rode Kitsuma and the Point Lookout Greenway Trail this evening.... I'm ready.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was ready last month. The heat over the last few weeks has me feeling not quite as ready as I once was.

I'll have to meditate on my readiness state again this weekend.

Gabe.....
    Quote Originally Posted by frontierwolf
    I was ready last month. The heat over the last few weeks has me feeling not quite as ready as I once was.

I'll have to meditate on my readiness state again this weekend.
    Time to meditate...............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

Members who have read this thread: 1