Trails in Western NC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Trails in Western NC

HEy guys,

Just got back from college this week and have been biking since march. I was just wondering what were some good trails for beginners in western NC. Ive already been to the south shore trail in hickory jsut looking for some others. I heard someone talk about the dark mountain trails can anyone tell me more about it?

thanks

mtbr member
    Yes.

IK_
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Start here:

http://www.mtbikewnc.com/

and after you have done all these rides, the locals will show you many more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Wnc...!!!

Anything in Pisgah proper or Dupont is good. Not a huge fan of Bent Creek.
    Pisgah proper is a bit more gnarly but does offer shuttle options if you are in to that sort of thing. Most all the goods can be pedaled to with realative ease via dirt roads so earn the turns!
    Dupont is by far more beginner friendly!
    Enjoy,
    Z
    Live for the moment and persist to exist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Dark Mountain is in Wilkesboro. If you are a beginner, I would probably recommend riding the Overmountain Victory Trail (OVT) first. Check this link:

http://www.bmcc.us/kerr_scott.htm

Carbon8er
    I live in Pisgah Forest and have been riding here a long time.

I try and take my girl friend riding in Pisgah and it's about impossible to find a trail that she can ride. The only one I can take her on in Pisgah, that is fairly easy, is Davidson river trail starting at the fish hatchery. The pink beds area is relatively flat, but hard to make a loop she can ride.

Dupont is your best bet for begginer trails.
    There a tons of trails in Dupont I can take her on.

The elevation is lower and the climbs are very short

The trails are way easier and less technical than Pisgah

It's hard to get lost in Dupont. Can't tell you how many times I have found people way back in Pisgah that had taken a wrong turn.

In Dupont, it's easier to put together a ride and not be going the wrong direction. Most the trails in dupont work either direction, unlike Pisgah where one direction is way better than the other and people who just look at the map are not able to know this.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by El34
    I live in Pisgah Forest and have been riding here a long time.

I try and take my girl friend riding in Pisgah and it's about impossible to find a trail that she can ride. The only one I can take her on in Pisgah, that is fairly easy, is Davidson river trail starting at the fish hatchery. The pink beds area is relatively flat, but hard to make a loop she can ride.

Dupont is your best bet for begginer trails.
    There a tons of trails in Dupont I can take her on.

The elevation is lower and the climbs are very short

The trails are way easier and less technical than Pisgah

It's hard to get lost in Dupont. Can't tell you how many times I have found people way back in Pisgah that had taken a wrong turn.

In Dupont, it's easier to put together a ride and not be going the wrong direction. Most the trails in dupont work either direction, unlike Pisgah where one direction is way better than the other and people who just look at the map are not able to know this.
    Hard to get lost in DuPont? That's the first time I've ever heard that said! With it's myriad of trails and roads DuPont can be quite confusing to someone unfamiliar to the area. Pisgah is generally well marked.

Carbon8er
    The trails are so short in Dupont that you come out to trail intersections very frequently.

There are nice wooden trail signs at every intersection in Dupont and there are probably about 100 trails on the map. Can't remember, have not looked at a Dupont map in a long time.

You have to string together 10+ trails to get a ride in.

Dupont is only 4000+ acres and it is easy to reach the border in just about every direction.

I suppose if you did not have a dupont map with you, you could get lost.
    It seems so small to me because I know every inch of Dupont, marked trails and unmarked trails.

Pisgah is much bigger and the trail intersections are way farther apart.
    It is way easier to get lost if you do not know your way around.

I have found people way back on squirrel gap that thought they were still on mills river trail and had no idea how to get back.
    Found lots of lost people in Pisgah over the yeras, can't remember ever running into a lost soul at Dupont.

It probably happens though.

Big Mac
    The trails are so short in Dupont that you come out to trail intersections very frequently.

There are nice wooden trail signs at every intersection in Dupont and there are probably about 100 trails on the map. Can't remember, have not looked at a Dupont map in a long time.

You have to string together 10+ trails to get a ride in.

Dupont is only 4000+ acres and it is easy to reach the border in just about every direction.

I suppose if you did not have a dupont map with you, you could get lost.
    It seems so small to me because I know every inch of Dupont, marked trails and unmarked trails.

Pisgah is much bigger and the trail intersections are way farther apart.
    It is way easier to get lost if you do not know your way around.

I have found people way back on squirrel gap that thought they were still on mills river trail and had no idea how to get back.
    Found lots of lost people in Pisgah over the yeras, can't remember ever running into a lost soul at Dupont.

It probably happens though.
    Pisgah is a big place, but I ride it A LOT and I know it like the back of my hand. I even know the illegal stuff and I have never been lost in Pisgah, but I know the area really well, I'm local. I've been riding there for years and years. Some trails have those fiberglass markers, but I close my eyes when I see them , because I am familiar with the trails and don't need any directions or anything. Somtimes in DuPont I find entire families of lost people, who have no clue where they are. This one family thought they were still in South Carolina and this other group on Cedar Rock thought they were in Moab. It was Crazy. And I know of a lot of people who have lost their minds in DuPont.

Carbon8er
    I even know the illegal stuff
    Everything is legal, IMO
    Ooops, I mean, stay off the Art Loeb trail, the rest is legal.
    I have no idea why some trails are supposedly off limits.
    Has anyone ever come up with a real explanation that is logical and actually makes sense?
    Ever see a ranger in the woods enforcing that??
    They don't really care.

This one family thought they were still in South Carolina
    That's a good one, I don't doubt that one bit.

see ya

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Everything is legal, IMO
    Has anyone ever come up with a real explanation that is logical and actually makes sense?
    They don't really care.

see ya
    Your whole post is bathed in awesomeness. I will attempt to answer a couple of your questions and witty comments.

Yes, there are logical reasons why some trails are not bike legal, these include, but are not limited to, the potential for user conflicts, unsustainable trail design, and wilderness designations.

Yes, I see rangers in the woods all the time. Are they there strictly to catch bikers poaching trails that are off limits? Not likely but it does happen. Yes, they do care. If you were to buzz a ranger hiking on white dot you would have nice ticket to show for your negligence.

Have some tact and common sense. If you are going to poach trails don't boast about it on a public forum. It is naive to think that 'the man' does not read this. At the very least hiking clubs read these forums and can use posts like yours as ammunition against our cause. Be an ambassador to the sport you love. Get involved with SORBA and enact some change.

Please edit your post. I will delete my quote of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ECUMTB
    HEy guys,

Just got back from college this week and have been biking since march. I was just wondering what were some good trails for beginners in western NC. Ive already been to the south shore trail in hickory jsut looking for some others. I heard someone talk about the dark mountain trails can anyone tell me more about it?

thanks
    If you live in the Hickory area try out Dark Mountain trail system as mentioned.

http://www.bmcc.us/kerr_scott.htm

Or the Itusi trail system over by Lake Norman. Closer than Dark Mountain to Hickory.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...9_4567crx.aspx

Even closer to Hickory you can get a ride in at River Bend park for a little more variety compared to Hickory Park. Single track is less tech than Hickory park with more double track riding; nice change of pace where you can work on your fitness a bit more.

http://www.catawbacountync.gov/depts/parks/rbndmain.asp

There's also Wilson's Creek. I'm still learning the trail system there and it's more remote than Pisgah with tougher terrain and no trail markers. Would try to find a group for it unless you're confident in your navigation and trouble shooting skills should something go wrong.

Big Mac
    Everything is legal, IMO
    They don't really care.

see ya
    Wow! Dude I was joking. Obviously sarcasm and mockery do not translate through the internet. Though I thought it was obvious. I do not ride or advocate riding trails that are off limits to bikes. Doing so is both selfish and Moronic. Blabbing about it on the WWW is is just plain idiotic. Think about what your saying and what your doing. And yes there are valid reasons why some trails are closed to bikes. The fact that you believe Rangers don't care what we do in the woods leads me to believe you are a naive child. Again, I Was mocking you and we are not on the same page.

Carbon8er
    That's funny.
    Isn't the web wonderful.

Members who have read this thread: 0