Trails off parkway?- Mtbr.com
    Super Moderator SuperModerator

Trails off parkway?

Can you recommend me some trails right off the parkway road? Preferably on the North side of Asheville. If you could include some direction to the trails, that would be awesome!

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Heartbreak Ridge. Check the oramm web site for a map. Long downhill. And really long climb to get back.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Heartbreak Ridge. Check the oramm web site for a map. Long downhill. And really long climb to get back.
    'ppreciate it!

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    'ppreciate it!
    Maybe not. lol
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    Maybe not. lol
    Haha

HBR is a good ride but if you shuttle it, you miss so much that makes mountain biking great.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Like a 3 hour climb. At least for this fat boy.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Rogue Exterminator
    I don't know how long I can complete it in. I never pay attention to total time out.

But yeah, it is a lot of climbing especially if they don't let you through the gates at whatever that center is and you have to take the long way.

mtbr member
    Heartbreak is off the Parkway but I dont think that section of parkway is open now. Its usually one of the first to close in the winter. So to ride it you would have to ride up Curtis Creek or Old Toll Rd. When Old Toll Rd is open (now) it makes riding Heartbreak much easier. Yeah its like 11 miles of climbing but its such a mellow grade that you shouldnt have any problem making it up in a couple hours. Plus its a very scenic ride. Way better than dodging cars and grinding gravel on Curtis Creek.

Other trails off the Parkway down the South end are Trace Ridge, Big Creek, and Laurel Mountain. These require some distance of hike-a-bike though. The sections from the Parkway to the mountain bike trail is usually hiking only.

Why are you wanting trail off the BRP? Shuttle runs?
    On your left!

Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Why are you wanting trail off the BRP? Shuttle runs?
    No. I never shuttle. That's not mtb if you cheat. Hard work pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Haha

HBR is a good ride but if you shuttle it, you miss so much that makes mountain biking great.
    No shuttle. It sounds like I'll need a full day for that.

Rogue Exterminator
    Kind of confused why you are specifically wanting trails off the PKY then.

Like mentioned, most of the trails off the PKY are hike only and many not really able to be ridden. If your not shuttling then you still need to ride back up.

Personally I would rather start at the bottom, climb and do downhill then start at the top do all the downhill and then have to ride back up. This is me and to each their own.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Also be aware there are hefty federal fines for even rolling your bike on/off the BRP right-of-way. Best to shoulder your bike from the pavement to the edge of the boundry while you hike-a-bike to the trail you're after. No personal experience here, just always heard the warnings.
    Pisgah Forest NC

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Kind of confused why you are specifically wanting trails off the PKY then.

Like mentioned, most of the trails off the PKY are hike only and many not really able to be ridden. If your not shuttling then you still need to ride back up.

Personally I would rather start at the bottom, climb and do downhill then start at the top do all the downhill and then have to ride back up. This is me and to each their own.
    Juuuuuuuuust trying to ride as many places as possible. Plus, the Parkway has nice views too, but it sounds like it's not the best choice since most trails are hike only. Thanks anyway.

Big Mac

Trails off parkway?

Juuuuuuuuust trying to ride as many places as possible. Plus, the Parkway has nice views too, but it sounds like it's not the best choice since most trails are hike only. Thanks anyway.
    It's a great choice, making for some big loops. You just need to make sure to shoulder your bike until you exit the NP boundary.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    No shuttle. It sounds like I'll need a full day for that.
    A full day, a map (or someone who knows the way), 4-5 hours of water (or a way to treat more), extra clothing (it's cold at the top).

In all seriousness, this is one of those rides that's best not to do alone for your first time. Not trying to talk down, be high-and-mighty, or anything else: it's just that it's remote and Heartbreak could be serious if you crash and don't know where you are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    As of 1/1 the toll road is open which eliminates the need to ride the parkway to get to heartbreak ridge. That's one of my favorite rides, but I have to say that going up Curtis Creek to the parkway then down HBR is pretty damn sweet too. I know epic rides aren't for everyone, but I love riding and love riding all day.

Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post
    A full day, a map (or someone who knows the way), 4-5 hours of water (or a way to treat more), extra clothing (it's cold at the top).

In all seriousness, this is one of those rides that's best not to do alone for your first time. Not trying to talk down, be high-and-mighty, or anything else: it's just that it's remote and Heartbreak could be serious if you crash and don't know where you are.
    I was thinking the same thing. I'll probably need a guide so I don't get lost.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Too bad it's winter. I'd love to ride this route as well. I've done CC as part of a gravel grinder loop, but have not had the chance to ride HBR. Kinda have the same feeling about having someone around just in case.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29

mtbr member
    I did this loop solo the first time I rode it. More of a recon trip so i took it easy. Riding solo anywhere can be sketchy but just make sure you let someone know where your going and when you should be back. I usually dont go full throttle when solo either.

If you have an iPhone or android phone download the Avenza Mapping app and search for the Grandfather Ranger District West Side by Pisgah Map Co. They're local and make some killer maps both digital and standard. The app uses GPS (not requiring cell signal) and locates you in real time on the map. Its pretty much impossible to get lost... assuming you can read a map. I use it all the time for solo rides, hikes, and fishing trips deep in Pisgah.

If you would like someone to show ya'll around up there let me know. I'm off Fridays and would be happy to play guide for ya'll.
    On your left!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post

I wouldn't ride it alone even after you learn it. There is a good chance that ig you ride it you won't see anyone at all that day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    You can ride all those trails, check the Strava heat map to see where the locals are riding everything. Unless the mod deletes my post again, we wouldnt want to call out all the local racer boys who can do no wrong.

memorable member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weight_of_Sound View Post
    You can ride all those trails, check the Strava heat map to see where the locals are riding everything. Unless the mod deletes my post again, we wouldnt want to call out all the local racer boys who can do no wrong.
    Sounds like you've got a beef. Did the mods and "racer boys" steal your girl and pass her around? I hate when they do that.

It could be made into a monster, if we all pull together as a team.

mtbr member
    Nevermind, read after posted and no need to bother.

memorable member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    I did this loop solo the first time I rode it. More of a recon trip so i took it easy. Riding solo anywhere can be sketchy but just make sure you let someone know where your going and when you should be back. I usually dont go full throttle when solo either.

If you have an iPhone or android phone download the Avenza Mapping app and search for the Grandfather Ranger District West Side by Pisgah Map Co. They're local and make some killer maps both digital and standard. The app uses GPS (not requiring cell signal) and locates you in real time on the map. Its pretty much impossible to get lost... assuming you can read a map. I use it all the time for solo rides, hikes, and fishing trips deep in Pisgah.

If you would like someone to show ya'll around up there let me know. I'm off Fridays and would be happy to play guide for ya'll.
    Cool app. Thanks!

It could be made into a monster, if we all pull together as a team.

Big Mac

Trails off parkway?

Definitely not worth feeding that one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mashochist View Post
    Cool app. Thanks!

Yeah its awesome. I use it to mark my secret back country beer stashes throughout Pisgah and BC...
    On your left!