Trails near Linville Falls, NC- Mtbr.com
    Back at it

Trails near Linville Falls, NC

My wife and I stay at the Linville Falls Lodge every year for our anniv and this year we'd like to take the bikes up and do some riding. My wife is an intermediate rider off road, and I was wondering if you guys could point us towards some fun single track in the area that we could enjoy, but isn't anything too aggressive. (no big drops etc)

Thanks!
    Ellsworth Evolve SST.2

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    Beech Mountain is close, has signs and maps, and, while physically challenging in places, none of the _existing_ trails have any "high consequence" or really intimidating features. Here is the official facebook group run by the Town Parks and Rec department and here is my website with current maps with downloadable gpx files and event information

Back at it
    ^^ awesome, thanks!
    Ellsworth Evolve SST.2

mtbr member
    Check out rocky knob in Boone. And/or the Wilson creek area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have found reference to Benson Hollow and buckeye trail near Blowing Rock. Local LBS's should be able to give you info.

"Buckeye was built with the whole family in mind." Elevation is gained slowly for the most part. Long, slow switchbacks follow the contours of a mature forest of oaks, hemlocks, and maples shading dark green "hells" of laurel and rhododendron. If you don't know why these thickets are called hells, you've never tried to make your way through one, especially lugging a mountain bike. Scenery: Boone Fork Recreation Area, creek crossings, and open views on Benson Hollow and Hays Knob.

Read more at Trails.com: Buckeye Trail | Blowing Rock North Carolina Mountain Bike Trails | Trails.com http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...#ixzz1McdZrt2w

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    I'm pretty sure that is long abandoned - I've lived up here for two years and ride with the shop guys a lot, and I've never heard of it

mtbr member
    Yep, Ghost trail. Never trust trails.com.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Used to ride those trails a lot in the 90's. Good cross-country style riding that was well ridden and manicured. Went back there last year to see firsthand and it was truly awful. A small bit of the original trail was single track-esque and the rest was overgrown with dog hobble and rhodos. Fortunately some horseback riders had been through somewhat recently and chopped out some of the choss. Trail fluctuated between soupy, horse created mud holes to firmer ground and old road beds.

This area is in a nice location for winter riding and is pretty close to Boone. Could be worth checking out again and mapping existing trails and seeing what other options there might be. Might be too far to get BAC's attention. Perhaps a foothills bike club in the Hickory area?

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I've run into bike on the Linville Gorge Trail. I don't suggest it though.

Members who have read this thread: 0