Trails in Coleman Boundary, Barnardsville area- Mtbr.com
    Bix Pender
    Feb 2009

Trails in Coleman Boundary, Barnardsville area

Has anyone ever tried to ride up the Big Butt trail? You can access it at the top of 197, near the gap. Or, is there a way to connect the Coleman boundary area with the Craggy Gardens gravel road, over near Dillingham church? Or, has anyone gone on any of the sideshoots that are on Craggy Gardens road?

I'm feeling a sense of adventure, but just wanna do my homework first....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    To answer your question directly: Yes, I'm sure that someone on a bike has gone up Big Butt Trail, because I've seen the tracks. The tracks ended at some point around the 7th or 8th switchback leading up to Flat Knob. And I've also stepped over my share of horsesh#t on that trail.

But as of the winter 2008, the trail was still posted for hiking only, no bikes or horses allowed. I haven't been there lately to know if it has changed.

Hope this helps,

BrianK
    GF HiFi Pro
    Member,
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Right on. thanks Brian. Do you know the other road I am talking about? It's the one before Big Ivy, that goes up to the Snowball Trail and Craggy Picnic area. That's some rugged, wild forest. There's a few doubletrack roads that go off of it, but I don't know how far and the map I've got doesn't even show one of them.

I know I could just go check it out, but I'd hate to waste my memorial day ride on a bunch of dead ends or way overgrown roads/trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well, no ride is wasted, but part of the road you're referring to serves the old Camp and partly is private property once you get of the FS road near Snowball.

I guess if it is going to be wet Monday and you want adventure, you'll have fun up Walker & Staire Creek routes.

Brian K
    GF HiFI Pro
    Member, Pisgah Area SORBA

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Is the road you're talking about the first right, just before the FS gate? How far up does that go?

I ended up just riding the road up to the Parkway since it's been probably 7 years since I've done that. That climb is brutal. I forgot how relentless it is. I checked out some some trails that go off of that road, all unmarked and nothing is open enough to ride too far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes, that sounds right. It will fork, and one end will go to the Camp and the other will end at a barbed wire fence. To the Camp is little over a mile, 1 1/2 miles, and I can't recall how far you go before you hit the fence. I'm not even sure if its still there, but it is an eye opener, or pants opener.

And yes, I agree, that climb is brutal. But for those of who live in North Buncombe and Yancey County, it's pretty much what we've got to deal with. I actually like climbing,once I get in that right frame of mind & cadence.

Brian K
    GF HiFi Pro
    Member, PAS

Members who have read this thread: 0