Trail Suggestions?

Printable View

• 11-17-2014
    MudderNutter
    Trail Suggestions?
    Hey Guys and Gals,

The lady and I moved to Wilmington NC from Northern Virginia not too long ago, and are wanting to make a trip to the Raleigh area for some riding. Ideally we'd like to head up on a Saturday morning, and then stay at a Campground that night before shreddage on Sunday. A camp ground that is reasonably close would do.

Anyone have any input on a Campground that would be open this time of the year that has some fun trails around?
  • 11-17-2014
    johnski
    Uwharrie. 1.5 hrs from Raleigh, but the only option I know of for camping/riding that's anywhere close.
  • 11-17-2014
    123qwerty
    There's camping at falls lake - would put you close to beveardam and new light. Neither are "destination" areas but they're both solid fun. BD has about 14 miles and New Light a little less.

TriangleMTB.com, your source for mountain biking in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

TriangleMTB.com, your source for mountain biking in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
  • 11-17-2014
    MudderNutter
    Thank you for the replies! I will definitely check out the camping at Falls Lake. As for the trails, we are just looking for something to mix things up a bit.... so Beaverdam and New Lights sound like they could be worth checking out.

How is the riding out at Uwharrie? Do you share the 4x4 trails with vehicles?
  • 11-17-2014
    MudderNutter
    I just did some youtubing of the Uwharrie trails.. They look like a good time for sure.
  • 11-17-2014
    Banjopickin
    URE is fun. Closest thing to riding actual mountains east of the Blue Ridge. If you do everything both clockwise and counter clockwise its about 20 miles. The trails are in the Nat'l Forest so you really get a remote, back country feel while riding there.

There is dispersed camping anywhere in the Nat'l Forest and plenty of spots right down the forest road from the main parking area. There is even a vault toilet at the entrance to the loops. Definitely worth checking out.
  • 11-18-2014
    MudderNutter
    Sounds like a good time to me. I've been wanting to go to Uwharrie to do some wheeling anyways, so it seems like I can hit two birds with one stone!