Trail suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Trail suggestions

Coming back down to WNC for the Eclipse/ vacation. She was a bit over her head on her hard tail so we spent most the time in Dupont.
    What trails are "easier" in Pisgah Forest? We just got her a Kona Prosses. But she's only beenough on the bike a few hours. I'd like her to get her grove and make any fine tuning adjustments before anything big.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Coming back down to WNC for the Eclipse/ vacation. She was a bit over her head on her hard tail so we spent most the time in Dupont.
    What trails are "easier" in Pisgah Forest? We just got her a Kona Prosses. But she's only beenough on the bike a few hours. I'd like her to get her grove and make any fine tuning adjustments before anything big.
    I recommend parking at the fish hatchery, climbing davidson river trail, 475-b to 225 to the top of Cove Creek back to Davidson river back to fish hatchery. The cove creek waterfall is definitely worth the short hike to it.

Another good option is Trace ridge trail head>"never ending road" >top of fletcher creek back to hendersonville reservoir road back to parking lot. This does include two larger creek crossings; the intersection at the second one can be a bit confusing, just stay straight, you'll know you're on the right path when you start climbing.

Have fun, these two rides are each around or about 10-12 miles and are about as easy as it gets in Pisgah district outside of Bent creek. This does not mean they are true beginner trails- all have roots, rocks, small drops (less than 1 foot), etc. Bent Creek of DuPont are your choices for true beginner trails- DuPont more than BC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks, she handled Bent Creek just fine as well. So these will be a great first ride on the new bike.

mtbr member
    Kitsuma would be a good jump in difficulty for her.

mtbr member
    Or Spencer>Spencer>Fletcher in Mills River Area. That'd be a much better test run on the process if she handled BC with no problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    This is awsome, yeah she handled BC on her hard tail. Would like to get the suspension dialed and her used to the bike, while learning to climb tech with an FS. We'll be down for 4 days and probably hit all these and see how she's feeling. Thanks guys!

Big Mac
    Who is "she"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Who is "she"?
    Lol, my wife. Forgot that part

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Kitsuma would be a good jump in difficulty for her.
    Kitsuma is pretty blown out now and I think it would be a bit much now, depending on her skill. About 2 years ago I would have agreed with you.

mtbr member
    Not nearly as blown out as Trace right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I rode Trace a few days ago and it was a mess. The upper section has holes in it and ruts that are difficult (for me, anyway) to contend with. I was hoping some of them would clear out and turn into one continuous rut, but they are still holes and not small ones at that, particularly at the top. It seems most people are cutting to the side of the trail and weaving through them. Definitely needs some time to smooth out. It used to be one of my favorite rides, but it needs some time to heal before I go back out there again.

I think the post on Trace was referring to Fletcher Creek though, taking that fire road to the top of Upper Fletcher and then taking it back to the Trace parking lot. The last time I did that, the upper section was brushy and overgrown, I pulled a large tick off and washed another down the drain, so be wary. It's the only place I've picked up ticks in Pisgah. It was fun, though, and not too challenging.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Or Spencer>Spencer>Fletcher in Mills River Area. That'd be a much better test run on the process if she handled BC with no problems.
    Thank you so much for the sugestions! We got in late yesterday. So we hit Cove Creek. This was a good ride to fine tune her suspension and get the spacers under the stem where she( the wife) today when did Spencer and she was ready to hit some bigger trail. Thanks again!h

mtbr member
    All of Pisgah is crawling with ticks.

Big Mac
    All forests all crawling with ticks. That's where their houses are.