trail into GA- Mtbr.com

Thread: trail into GA

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

trail into GA

hi all,
    i'm going to be in the Asheville, NC area next week. Going to see the upper whitewater waterfall in NC and hike to the lower whitewater waterfall in SC (i don't think you can bike down to the lower falls can you?)

Afterwards, I would love to drive west, only about 1.5 hours, to near the GA boarder, and find a trail to bike across the NC or SC boarder into GA. Does anyone know any bike trails in this area that go into GA?

I'm a novice biker and I won't have ton of time but I'm hoping someone could direct me somewhere good.

thanks much!

jim

mtbr member
    You can't bike to Whitewater Falls. The only place in GA near the border near NC/SC in Paynes Creek. I've yet to ride this trail, but I was told its not too technical. So this may be ideal. Also don't forget about the trails in the Clemson area. Look on MTB Project website for trails in areas you'll be near.
    No trails cross the SC/NC border into GA that I'm aware of (GA/SC is separated by water).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Paynes is not that bad of a ride. Just across the GA line on Hartwell Lake. Clemson is good as well. Also check out Parris Mountain in Greenville.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jokken View Post
    hi all,
    I would love to drive west, only about 1.5 hours, to near the GA boarder, and find a trail to bike across the NC or SC boarder into GA. Does anyone know any bike trails in this area that go into GA?
    You mean the *trail* itself has to go across the border into GA? Not aware of any of those.

However, Jackrabbit Mountain seems to fit the bill for what you're looking for otherwise. Great for beginning riders, about an hour and a half west of Whitewater, "near" the GA border (the trail is just a stone's throw from the actual border across the lake, if that counts). From the parking area, you can drive 5 minutes south on NC 175 into GA.

Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    thanks all! they all look like great options! Jackrabbit Mountain seems nice, a mellow ride too. I'll let you know how I make out and where we go!