Trail info for road trip down to GA from NY (I81) X-Post Southeast/Midsouth- Mtbr.com
    Rollin' a fatty Moderator

Trail info for road trip down to GA from NY (I81) X-Post Southeast/Midsouth

Are there any trails for a quick ride close to I81 while we drive down to GA?

Link to original post.

Go Hokies!
    Feb 2006
    Harrisonburg VA - GW Natl Forest
    Roanoke VA - Carvin's Cove

Check out TrailForks for each

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    If you’re taking 81 to 77 you’ll pass lake Norman state park near Statesville. Lotta miles there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashy Larry View Post
    If you’re taking 81 to 77 you’ll pass lake Norman state park near Statesville. Lotta miles there.
    Very true, and there's the Whitewater Center shortly after that assuming he's getting on 85 also.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yep, seems like the most logical route as well. Might be worth a hotel or camp night in that area to hit both.

We usually go I81 to I77 to I85 but willing to do I81 to I40 to I75 which is a bit longer drive.

Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Very true, and there's the Whitewater Center shortly after that assuming he's getting on 85 also.
    Carvin's Cove and/or the Whitewater Center?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy Larry View Post
    Might be worth a hotel or camp night in that area to hit both.
    Wasn't considering staying overnight but that's worth considering if the riding is good.

mtbr member
    Carvin's Cove is real close to I81 and a worthwhile spot to ride. The lower trails are "flowy" and relatively easy, but there are also some challenging trails there. Here's a route that keeps the climbing down https://www.trailforks.com/route/nic...mediate-route/.
    If you want to test your tech skills hit Rattle-n-run.

Quote Originally Posted by b-roken View Post
    Carvin's Cove is real close to I81 and a worthwhile spot to ride. The lower trails are "flowy" and relatively easy, but there are also some challenging trails there. Here's a route that keeps the climbing down https://www.trailforks.com/route/nic...mediate-route/.
    If you want to test your tech skills hit Rattle-n-run.
    Seems that Carvin's Cove will be one of the stops, can you suggest a route maximizing fun? There are some interesting loops but there's nothing like local knowledge.

So far the plan is Carvin's Cove, spend the night somewhere and next morning the US Whitewater Center before leaving for GA.

Do you know of any campsites or cheap hotels near by?

mtbr member
    Not being a local but riding there a couple times a year this would be my suggestion:
    Bennett Springs Loop South->Rattlin' Run->left on Song Bird->Tuck-A-Way->4 gorges extension->4 gorges->parking.

Check with Just the Right Gear https://goo.gl/maps/rtpuzMezucH2 and get their input also.

There are a couple of hotels off exit 141, same one as Carvin's Cove.

Quote Originally Posted by b-roken View Post
    this would be my suggestion:
    Bennett Springs Loop South->Rattlin' Run->left on Song Bird->Tuck-A-Way->4 gorges extension->4 gorges->parking.
    Checked Trailforks and this loop looks fun even thou wonder about Hi-Dee-Ho and The Gaunlet on a rigid fattie.

Checked on Google maps and saw plenty of hotels near exit 141.

Any sequence suggestions or trails to avoid on the U.S. National Whitewater Center?

mtbr member
    Hi-Dee-Ho and Gauntlet are fun. Hi-Dee-Ho is pretty much straight up from the parking area so you would not have any problems. Gauntlet was not too rough when I road it back in the Spring. I guess it depends on what you want. The loop I suggested was more of a gradual climb. Anything up to will be a big climb right out of the gate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Checked Trailforks and this loop looks fun even thou wonder about Hi-Dee-Ho and The Gaunlet on a rigid fattie.

Checked on Google maps and saw plenty of hotels near exit 141.

Any sequence suggestions or trails to avoid on the U.S. National Whitewater Center?
    With regard to the WWC, I can't speak for weekdays, but on weekends the trails closest to the parking lot get way more foot traffic. Not too bad if you get there early, ride those and then out from there. Parking lot fills up quickly, too. WWC East and Prarie Dog were some of my favorites. There's a newer trail back there, too. I forget the name, but it connects to Prarie Dog.

A little further down the street is George Poston Park. I explored this place when visiting a friend in that area, and it was impressive. It's a nine mile loop, but with something like 1200 ft of climbing. We went for 3 laps, but were out of gas after 2.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    With all regards to the earlier suggestions, you've got to come to the mountains. If you continue down 81 and connect with 26 you'll drive within 10 or 15 miles of some of the best riding in the Southeast. Easiest would be to do trails in the Bent Creek area, the Ingles Field/Greenslick combo on MTB Project is the best ride there but tying together Explorer, Pinetree, and Deerfield is also awesome. Lake Powhattan campground is right in the middle of the system.

Just over the ridge is the North Mills River area, and is where the real Pisgah starts. Upper Trace Ridge, Spencer's Gap, Spencer's Branch, and Fletcher Creek are the prime choices there. There's a route posted on MTB Project called Mostah Mills which captures the best except for the Upper Trace descent which is bomber.

Anyway, I know I answered a question you didn't ask but if you haven't ridden Pisgah, it's well worth a check out.

mtbr member
    I wouldn’t dare drive through Harrisonburg, VA without stopping and riding! Hands down some of the best trails in the region, if not THE best.

Quote Originally Posted by jamatt View Post
    With all regards to the earlier suggestions, you've got to come to the mountains. If you continue down 81 and connect with 26 you'll drive within 10 or 15 miles of some of the best riding in the Southeast. Easiest would be to do trails in the Bent Creek area, the Ingles Field/Greenslick combo on MTB Project is the best ride there but tying together Explorer, Pinetree, and Deerfield is also awesome. Lake Powhattan campground is right in the middle of the system.

Just over the ridge is the North Mills River area, and is where the real Pisgah starts. Upper Trace Ridge, Spencer's Gap, Spencer's Branch, and Fletcher Creek are the prime choices there. There's a route posted on MTB Project called Mostah Mills which captures the best except for the Upper Trace descent which is bomber.

Anyway, I know I answered a question you didn't ask but if you haven't ridden Pisgah, it's well worth a check out.
    Great point but, Pisgah will take us almost 12hrs of driving to get there so even if we made it with enough daylight to start dawn/nightfall will prolly catch us while riding and that's a no go for me (playing it safe). Having said that it might be the place to go instead of riding in TN on our drive back to NY.

Can you get me some more detailed info?

Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    I wouldn’t dare drive through Harrisonburg, VA without stopping and riding! Hands down some of the best trails in the region, if not THE best.
    Where, National Forest Trails West? Better than Carvin's Cove?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Harrisonburg is going to be right about half way, and there a ton of great trails within 20 to 30 minutes of the interstate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Generally, the riding in Pisgah stretches from Brevard, NC to Asheville. Both are fun towns, Brevard is more of the outdoor tourist whereas Asheville has been colonized by Charleston and everyone has brand new Chacos.

Lake Powhattan, Davidson River, and North Mills are nice campgrounds with showers and water, there is roadside camping but it's all taken up by the homeless from April to November.

There is lots of riding. Generally Bent Creek would be the easiest and some of the stuff around Black Mountain Trail is more technical. Mountain Bike Project does a nice job of suggesting good routes and having reasonable grades on difficulty. There are definitely some trails you don't want to climb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Lol @jamatt thanks for saying what those of us from NC already knew and what those that transplanted to AVL don’t wanna admit.

Have the stops and hotel figured out for our stops in VA (Carvin's Cove) and NC (USWC) on the way to GA. Plan on heading north from GA on I85, from there detour to ride and will figure how to get back to I81 afterwards and an additional ride along the way north with an overnight stay.

Now to the stuff that matters, Pisgah or Dupont? Time is tight so which one allows for a nice (2-3 hrs max) not so tough ride. Like singletrack and technical stuff but want to keep the climbing in check so we don't fall asleep while driving

mtbr member
    Dupont fits the 2-3 hour bill better. That's going to be one heck of a detour. If you want something closer to I-85, possibly hit the trails in Issaqueena in the Clemson Experimental Forest. 60 miles of old school single track, hilly, but not a ton of elevation. 20 minutes off 85, exit 19B.

mtbr member
    How did the trip go? I'm driving most of this route in reverse, and of course I'm looking for a way to get in a ride along the way. I won't have time to spend the night anywhere.

Right now I'm thinking Issaqueena on the way up and Carvin's Cove on the way back from Charlottesville, VA. Pisgha and Dupont will have to wait for another day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    With regard to the WWC, I can't speak for weekdays, but on weekends the trails closest to the parking lot get way more foot traffic. Not too bad if you get there early, ride those and then out from there. Parking lot fills up quickly, too. WWC East and Prarie Dog were some of my favorites. There's a newer trail back there, too. I forget the name, but it connects to Prarie Dog.

A little further down the street is George Poston Park. I explored this place when visiting a friend in that area, and it was impressive. It's a nine mile loop, but with something like 1200 ft of climbing. We went for 3 laps, but were out of gas after 2.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    thanks man - we work to make it challenging, fun, and handcut through and through. it's definitely close to 85.