Trail Dog riding during gun/deer season Pisgah/ trip planning- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2017

Trail Dog riding during gun/deer season Pisgah/ trip planning

Hello, looking for advice from those who are in the know on this subject:
    I might be in the area Dec 1-6, looking to check out Pisgah. I normally ride with my dog, always with bright orange hunting vests/gear, he stays close to me/ trained well.
    Ive combed through the hunting calendar for that area and from what I can tell, it will be Deer/gun season.
    Is it spread out enough down there? Are there other options to ride with / with out dog? What is the vibe down there with hunters'? Maybe week days would be better/ok?
    I know there can be idiots ( bikers or hunters ) any time any where but then we might as well never leave the house if we worry bout that !!
    Thanks for any advice/ help

mtbr member
    I have a friend who takes his dog to Pisgah a lot. She wears an orange vest and follows off leash. I don't think most hunters will be in the areas with heavily used trails. In all my years of going there I mostly see hunters in the more removed areas from the main areas of the forest.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Big Mac
    I ride with a dog year round, and have for years. Iíve never really had an issue. During gun season, I don the dog with a hunting vest and Bell, if Iím riding Monday through Saturday, during the day. At night, I replace the bell with a light, but will likely start using both. Sundayís, we just do whatever. Use your best judgement, and you and your pooch will be fine. Have fun.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I ride with a dog year round, and have for years. Iíve never really had an issue. During gun season, I don the dog with a hunting vest and Bell, if Iím riding Monday through Saturday, during the day. At night, I replace the bell with a light, but will likely start using both. Sundayís, we just do whatever. Use your best judgement, and you and your pooch will be fine. Have fun.
    Thanks 65, are you talking in WNC?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by spleeft View Post
    Thanks 65, are you talking in WNC?
    Yes, pisgah specifically.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I bring my dog along on rides a lot. No problems. I just put a loud bell on her....no vest or anything like that.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Normally where I ride with my dog we have to watch out for Timber Rattlesnakes/ bears/ and hornet nests, ( we encounter them all a few times a year ! ) . But from reading the other threads on Bent Creek , it looks like Ill have to add lunatic-mediocre-mountain-biker-who hates dogs and citation writing forest rangers' to that list !! Ha ha !
    Seriously though, between my dogs training , his e collar, and the retractable leash I carry on my pack, I think we will be alright. Ill be there in December mon-wed, are the crowds lighter at those times? Maybe you'all could point out the trails where there would less likely be anti dog trail users/ forest rangers?
    Thanks for all the help !!
    Trail Dog riding during gun/deer season Pisgah/ trip planning-dogtopdeathmarch2.jpg