Trail conditions in and around Raleigh- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trail conditions in and around Raleigh

Got to be in the Raleigh area this weekend and am wondering if I should bring the bike. Looking at the TriangleMTB web site, most places are closed except for the New Light Trails, which I was thinking of hitting. But, the last time the trail status was updated was in May, so I don't know if I believe it.

Anybody have more up to date, on the ground, conditions from around there?
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    New light is open. It doesn't really close (except during hunting season) and is more a use your own judgement type place. It stands up to the rains fairly well and it gets less traffic for a variety of reasons. I live about 5 miles from NL and it has rained a decent bit this week, however I believe it will be fine to ride. It is my favorite trail in the triangle. It can be a little hard to navigate for first timers. I didn't really have an issue, but a lot of folks do. So you might want to do the group ride on Sunday at 9:30am. It is a no drop ride. Chris and some others are usually out there at 8am for a full pull drop ride, if you need to hit it earlier as well. It is a great group, with XC dudes on HTs and DHers on AM rigs.
    If you aren't in a rush to head out of town sunday bring a chair. The group usually hangs around in the parking lot for a while after the ride. Just meet at the bottom of the lot around 9:30. Oh and the entrance to the parking lot is a little tough to spot, you'll probably drive by it a few times.

If the rain holds off then I would imagine some more trails will open before sunday as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    New light is open. It doesn't really close (except during hunting season) and is more a use your own judgement type place. It stands up to the rains fairly well and it gets less traffic for a variety of reasons. I live about 5 miles from NL and it has rained a decent bit this week, however I believe it will be fine to ride. It is my favorite trail in the triangle. It can be a little hard to navigate for first timers. I didn't really have an issue, but a lot of folks do. So you might want to do the group ride on Sunday at 9:30am. It is a no drop ride. Chris and some others are usually out there at 8am for a full pull drop ride, if you need to hit it earlier as well. It is a great group, with XC dudes on HTs and DHers on AM rigs.
    If you aren't in a rush to head out of town sunday bring a chair. The group usually hangs around in the parking lot for a while after the ride. Just meet at the bottom of the lot around 9:30. Oh and the entrance to the parking lot is a little tough to spot, you'll probably drive by it a few times.

If the rain holds off then I would imagine some more trails will open before sunday as well.
    Thanks man. My son is swimming in Cary and I won't get to ride till he is done - usually by 10:30-11 am.

Raleigh
    We're a bit water logged at the moment. That said, NL should be good to go - matty22c nailed it regarding NL, and I would consider this trail my fav in the triangle, as well.
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11152127

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
    We're a bit water logged at the moment. That said, NL should be good to go - matty22c nailed it regarding NL, and I would consider this trail my fav in the triangle, as well.
    Boy, is it raining here! I may give NL a look on Saturday or Sunday but will bail if too muddy.

mtbr member
    So I rode New light today and boy, what a fantastic trail. Very fun. And shockingly, practically dry. I found that almost unbelievable given all the rain this place has had.

I had some difficulty finding the trail head and parked at the first sign post but the trail was easy to follow after that (using Trailforks). Great system and looking forward to riding it again some day!

Raleigh
    Hey man, glad you got out there, and enjoyed it - it is amazing how that trail sheds water!

If the rain holds off in the morning Iím going to be there at 9am (for the 9:30 group ride), stop on by if youíre still around. If not, hope to catch you another time.
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11152127