Trail conditions around Bent Creek for 6/4:6- Mtbr.com
    loud hubs save lives

Trail conditions around Bent Creek for 6/4:6

Supposed to do a couple days of camping/riding this weekend around the Bent Creek area ... the forecast has been similar to ours in the triangle for the past couple weeks ( chances of thunderstorms everyday ).

We've had quite a bit of rain here in RDU, but how are the trails looking in the mountains? I know the weather looks great for sat/sun, but I'd hate to drive up and not be able to ride due to previous rain.

thanks for any info.

drunken pirate
    I don't know anything about Bent Creek but the rest of Pisgah is good to go this weekend

The storms brew up in the afternoon so ride early or you might get wet
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Bent Creek got some more rain today. I imagine the lower trails will be damp but higher up would OK. All will be ridable just some stay wetter longer. You can always camp at BC and ride over to North Mills (Trace, Bear Branch, Fletcher Creek, Spencer etc) NM drains much better than lower BC. One good day of sun and a touch of wind all those trails(even BC) will be a fast tacky roller coaster.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Bent Creek - and Asheville for that matter - are in "bowls" of mountains. It could rain on one side and not on the other. Any possible storms could be +/- in intensity. I live in BC. Roll the dice and make your plans.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

loud hubs save lives
    thanks for the info. i assumed drainage would be better with elevation.

plans involved camping in powhatan, some rides in BC and a trip over to NM for one of the mtbikewnc rides ( we've never ridden in that area, but if there are better routes i'm open to suggestions.) .

Single Speed Junkie
    Jan 2008

Mills River Ride

Here's a good Mills River ride. If you want to make it more difficult just climb up trace ride to get out instead of taking the gravel road back up. This is a good ride when paired with some of the Bent Creek trails (it's a shame to descend into Bent Creek and not turn onto Lower Sidehill).

To get to the start of the ride just climb up Bent Creek Gap road and cross over the parkway and look for the turnoff to the right labeled Ferrin Knob.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=405422

mtbr member
    Trails were damp but fine last night.

mtbr member
    Asheville Mike not sure where Ferrin Knob trail is. Do you mean the Shut- in(mountains to sea) trail that takes you to Ferrin Knob? If so it is hiking only. The only two trails accessible to bikes near the parkway are Spencer Gap on NM side and upper Sidehill on BC side. Also do not go on the Parkway towards Mt. Pisgah. Closed due to slide work.

Sennaster if you want a good classic ride in the NM area drive up or ride( park at the N.Mills campground area, does have a fee) to Yellow Gap on 1206 > turn right on Laurel Mtn> ride one of the best trails Pisgah has to offer> turn left on the Laurel connector> stay left on Pilot Rock and hold on for dear like> turn left once you hit 1206 and climb back to Yellow Gap. Casual ride time is around 5 hours +/-

Single Speed Junkie
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter
    Asheville Mike not sure where Ferrin Knob trail is. Do you mean the Shut- in(mountains to sea) trail that takes you to Ferrin Knob? If so it is hiking only. The only two trails accessible to bikes near the parkway are Spencer Gap on NM side and upper Sidehill on BC side. Also do not go on the Parkway towards Mt. Pisgah. Closed due to slide work.

Sennaster if you want a good classic ride in the NM area drive up or ride( park at the N.Mills campground area, does have a fee) to Yellow Gap on 1206 > turn right on Laurel Mtn> ride one of the best trails Pisgah has to offer> turn left on the Laurel connector> stay left on Pilot Rock and hold on for dear like> turn left once you hit 1206 and climb back to Yellow Gap. Casual ride time is around 5 hours +/-
    It is actually the spencer gap trail but the sign at the turnoff from the gravel says Ferrin Knob (maybe this is the name of the logging road there). On the Bent Creek side the trail is actually signed as Lower Sidehill (even though it is more upper than lower...) Sorry for the confusion.

I'll second the Laurel Mtn/Pilot Rock ride as well-one of the best rides around. Just a lot further from Bent Creek.

Mike

pronounced may-duh
    I believe FS 5000 is still closed to cars. Anybody know for sure.

Even so, it's still open to bikes but it makes getting to the trace ridge trail head a longer ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I rode from Bent Creek to Trace Ridge earlier this week and the road is open

mtbr member
    I think the road(beginning of 5000) from NM campground to the turnoff towards Trace is still closed. I could be wrong. Haven't been on it since PMBAR. 5000 from Bent Creek Gap down to Trace has been open for a few months.

loud hubs save lives
    thx for the info ... i am definitely putting ashevillemike's loop in the GPS tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Snototter
    I think the road(beginning of 5000) from NM campground to the turnoff towards Trace is still closed. I could be wrong. Haven't been on it since PMBAR. 5000 from Bent Creek Gap down to Trace has been open for a few months.

Members who have read this thread: 0