Trail advice on trip to Pisgah/Dupont, coming from Chattanooga, TN....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Trail advice on trip to Pisgah/Dupont, coming from Chattanooga, TN....

Iím looking at planning my first trip to NC (Undecided between Pisgah, Brevard, Dupont) for a long weekend (Thursday-Sunday) with a friend after several years of procrastination. After browsing the NC trails on MTB project itís pretty overwhelming what trails to ride and where to camp at. We will be camping the weekend since I have a Sprinter and my buddy has a bed mounted tent. It would be ideal to camp at the same place for as many days as possible but that might not be practical since itís likely the suggested trails to ride could be spread out. A friend has mentioned riding Brevard trails and camp at Davidson River Campground since it was close to town and some good trails.

Just looking for a recommendation of good trails from locals the ride there frequently. Sometimes itís hard to trust random trail reviews you read online. We are both riding 160mm Bronsonís, ex-moto racers, and prefer all mountain / flow style trails rather than easier XC style trails. On a weekend, we normally ride about 20 miles / 3 hrs a day at places like Racoon Mtn and Mulberry Gap. Iím hoping we can do a 10-16mi ride before and after lunch but that might be wishful thinking depending on climbing haha

since 4/10/2009
    Davidson River is a good place to make as your base. You can ride some trails straight from camp, but you'll have to drive a bit for others, depending on exactly what you decide to ride.

We don't have "flow trails" as such. There are some flowy trails like Ridgeline at Dupont, but most of what's available in this area will be burly old-school backcountry type stuff. Good bit of intermediate xc type trail at Dupont, too, but a few shorter rowdy downhills there, as well.

And the "xc" stuff in Pisgah is definitely not "easier". As with anything in Pisgah, there are lots of roots and a healthy dose of rocks.

There's a lot to choose from, true. But browse any thread similar to yours and you'll see similar sorts of recommendations popping up over and over again. It's honestly hard to go wrong. Sometimes it's fun to take a flyer on a route you're less sure about just for the adventure of it. There are a few trails that folks ride only when they absolutely have to (Bradley Creek, for example) that you'll want to avoid if you can. That one it's mostly because there are a ton of big stream crossings, which make everything take forever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The climbing in this area is generally easier than what you'll get in the Mulberry Gap area, where it seems like you spend forever on fire roads and are really far out there. The trails here are a little closer to civilization, although you'll spend a lot of time climbing, but you are in the mountains...

Out of Davidson River campground directly, you'll have easy access to Black Mountain, Bennett Gap, and Avery Creek. You'll be within close driving distance of the fish hatchery area, where you have Cove Creek, Daniel's Ridge, Butter Gap, and Farlow Gap.

You'll be a little bit of a drive to the trails in DuPont, but not very long, and a bit longer to the N Mills River trails (Spencer Branch, Trace Ridge, Pilot Rock).

If I was here for those days, here is what I'd do:

Thursday: DuPont - Lake Imaging trailhead/parking lot, climb Jim Branch, ride Isaac Heath, Locust, Hilltop, then reverse the route to go back to the top of Jim Branch, take a right and go down to Buck Forest Rd. Follow Buck Forest Rd until you get to Guion Farms, take Sky Valley Rd to Rocky Ridge, ride that, cross the road to climb up Guion to Boundary back to Hickory Mountain Rd, then to White Pine and Hooker Creek. Ride Hooker, climb the other side, take a right and go up to Hickory Mountain loop, then finish on Ridgeline.

DuPont is a little trickier to navigate, there are more intersections, but that should give you about 15-16 miles in DuPont, which will generally be easier on your body and a good warmup.

Day 2: Pisgah - Full Black - From your campground, take 276 to Avery Creek Rd to the horse stables (you'll see a sign on the right), ride up Clawhammer Rd past the gate and continue straight all the way until you reach the staircase on the left (it intersects Black, this will take a while), take Black Mountain trail on the right and ride/push up the remaining portion (this is a mixed hike a bike and ride, but it's not that bad, 45min at worst). Ride down Black Mountain entirely, end up at the bottom of Lower, where you can either ride up to go do Sycamore or end up back at your campsite.

Day 3: Pisgah - hatchery stuff - Park at the fish hatchery, ride up Headwaters Rd to Cove Creek Rd, ride down Cove Creek trail. When you see the campground on the left and cross the stream at the bottom, instead of going left, hook a right and push/ride up this little bit of singletrack until you reach Lanning Ridge Rd, take a right onto the road and climb until it intersects with Daniel's Ridge. Take a right and push/ride up Daniel's until it intersects with the connector, then continue downhill to finish the rocky side of Daniel's. At the parking lot at the bottom, take a right and climb until you reach a 4 way intersection, go left and ride the fire road for a while until it pitches downhill. You'll descend the road for a while and eventually see a parking area on your left with a gated gravel road (if you start seeing road signs on the right, you've gone too far, you'll know you are getting close when you start seeing open campsites on the right) climb up that to Butter Gap and take that to Cat Gap (please be mindful of hikers, this is a popular hiking trail. For other readers, it also closes Apr15-Oct15 for mountain biking), which you'll ride back to the hatchery. You'll end up with around 23 miles or so on this route, but the climbing is mostly mellow, Daniel's Ridge aside.

Day 4: Pisgah - I usually send folks to N Mills River to do Spencer or Trace. It'll depend on how you feel, though, because doing that climb twice after the previous 3 days can be tough. Another option would be to do Bennett (this one is fairly simple, climb Avery Creek Rd to Bennett Gap trail on the left, go down, end back up on Avery Creek Rd).

All of this assuming your climbing and fitness ability are on par for N GA. If not, some may be a bit harder. I'd also use Trailforks instead of mtbproject, it's a bit more complete and easier to make sense of here.

mtbr member
    If you are comfortable on Raccoon and at Mullberry Gap you'll be fine here...

Dupont is closer to Raccoon in terrain and trail than Pisgah is. When riding Pisgah always plan on 1 hour per 5 miles. a 15 mile loop can easily take you 3+ hours.

Since you have three days I would spend the first at Dupont since that is more your style of riding. I'd spend the next day in Pisgah and the third day riding whichever you enjoyed the most. Definitely ride Black Mountain in Pisgah... everyone will ask you if you did.

Pisgah has very little "flow" like you would get at Mullberry but if steep and technical (All mountain) riding is your jam that is the place to be... My favorite loop is the Black mountain -> Buckwheat Knob ->Bennet Gap loop. Great descending, fun climbs, and some rowdy tech too.

Something I always mention too is try to spend your money at locally owned places. A ton of tourists come here to ride and its important to have those tourism dollars going back into the local economy. Ecusta Brewing is my spot for beers and there are some great local restaurants in Brevard.

Post up the dates you'll be here and Have fun!
    On your left!

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Davidson River is a good place to make as your base. You can ride some trails straight from camp, but you'll have to drive a bit for others, depending on exactly what you decide to ride.

We don't have "flow trails" as such. There are some flowy trails like Ridgeline at Dupont, but most of what's available in this area will be burly old-school backcountry type stuff. Good bit of intermediate xc type trail at Dupont, too, but a few shorter rowdy downhills there, as well.

And the "xc" stuff in Pisgah is definitely not "easier". As with anything in Pisgah, there are lots of roots and a healthy dose of rocks.

There's a lot to choose from, true. But browse any thread similar to yours and you'll see similar sorts of recommendations popping up over and over again. It's honestly hard to go wrong. Sometimes it's fun to take a flyer on a route you're less sure about just for the adventure of it. There are a few trails that folks ride only when they absolutely have to (Bradley Creek, for example) that you'll want to avoid if you can. That one it's mostly because there are a ton of big stream crossings, which make everything take forever.
    Bennett, Black, Heartbreak, Kitsuma, Bracken are all flow trails. ESPECIALLY on a 160 bike.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post

Dupont is closer to Raccoon in terrain and trail than Pisgah is. When riding Pisgah always plan on 1 hour per 5 miles. a 15 mile loop can easily take you 3+ hours.

Since you have three days I would spend the first at Dupont since that is more your style of riding. I'd spend the next day in Pisgah and the third day riding whichever you enjoyed the most. Definitely ride Black Mountain in Pisgah... everyone will ask you if you did.

Pisgah has very little "flow" like you would get at Mullberry but if steep and technical (All mountain) riding is your jam that is the place to be... My favorite loop is the Black mountain -> Buckwheat Knob ->Bennet Gap loop. Great descending, fun climbs, and some rowdy tech too.

Something I always mention too is try to spend your money at locally owned places. A ton of tourists come here to ride and its important to have those tourism dollars going back into the local economy. Ecusta Brewing is my spot for beers and there are some great local restaurants in Brevard.

Again, there is tons of flow in Pisgah. Go faster or learn how to find it. There isn't paved flow trails but if you are not in a flow state on the way down the trails in Pisgah find a new hobby.

Nov 2015
    OP, hit me up, we will ride the flow trails in Pisgah. I live at the bottom of Bracken.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Bennett, Black, Heartbreak, Kitsuma, Bracken are all flow trails. ESPECIALLY on a 160 bike.
    I'm starting to find everyone's definition of 'flow trail' is variable.

If you are coming from riding N GA trails, Bennett and Black are definitely not flow trails. I could see how someone from out west or from somewhere else could see it that way, though. I can fairly confidently say that the majority of people coming here from out of town aren't gonna consider either as flowy, though. Maybe in sections or parts, but not in it's entirety.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    Day 2: Pisgah - Full Black - From your campground, take 276 to Avery Creek Rd to the horse stables (An alternate I like here is to go straight past the horse stables and start climbing Avery Creek Rd. Keep your eyes peeled for the trailhead to Buckhorn Gap on your right. You'll pass a couple others before you reach this, but it's just a mile or two past the stables. It'll drop down to the creek, but afterwards you'll climb Buckhorn, which is rocky, rooty, and technical, until you reach Clawhammer Rd., where you turn left and resume this route as described. There's an optional side hike to view a waterfall if you want a little break), ride up Clawhammer Rd past the gate and continue straight all the way until you reach the staircase on the left (it intersects Black, this will take a while), take Black Mountain trail on the right and ride/push up the remaining portion (this is a mixed hike a bike and ride, but it's not that bad, 45min at worst). Ride down Black Mountain entirely, end up at the bottom of Lower, where you can either ride up to go do Sycamore or end up back at your campsite.
    The technical singletrack climb option, IMO, is not really any more or less difficult than climbing the gravel. But it's a different sort of difficult. It does take more time because it's more technical and slower, so there's that. It's also more full body work than just grinding up a long gravel grade.

Nov 2015
    I'm starting to find everyone's definition of 'flow trail' is variable.

If you are coming from riding N GA trails, Bennett and Black are definitely not flow trails. I could see how someone from out west or from somewhere else could see it that way, though. I can fairly confidently say that the majority of people coming here from out of town aren't gonna consider either as flowy, though. Maybe in sections or parts, but not in it's entirety.
    I'm coming from Detroit Michigan bike paths and sidewalks on a BMX bike. I'm just trying to give the perspective of the non majority. It's an easy climb up Maxwell, middle black is not a hike a bike, middle and lower is a flow trail. Bennet is a flow trail, you go DH and find the flow, if you are quick out of the saddle and on/off the bike and can climb a 30ft climb kicker by coontree, it's a flow trail. Bracken mtn is a flow trail if you can climb for short bursts on the way down. Heartbreak and Kitsuma are pure flow trails. Kistuma is a manicured flow trail and now lots of heartbreak is reworked making it a flow trail. Farlow gap is not a flow trail, long branch is not a flow trail, Daniel is not a flow trail. Spencer branch is a flow trail.

My def of a flow trail is you can start and finish without stopping or huge changes in speed. No "rock crawling" or trials riding. It can be brown cement like Ridgeline or a ton of roots like Heartbreak, you still flow, like water.
    Last edited by LaneDetroitCity; 03-26-2019 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Defining flow trail

mtbr member
    Again, there is tons of flow in Pisgah. Go faster or learn how to find it. There isn't paved flow trails but if you are not in a flow state on the way down the trails in Pisgah find a new hobby.
    Watch out folks we got a badass here haha.

The OP mentioned he was used to Raccoon and Mullberry which might as well be a paved greenway compared to upper Black/Buckwheat. Flow is probably not what he will find when riding that trail... Fun? definitely.

But I get it...
    On your left!

Nov 2015
    Watch out folks we got a badass here haha.

The OP mentioned he was used to Raccoon and Mullberry which might as well be a paved greenway compared to upper Black/Buckwheat. Flow is probably not what he will find when riding that trail... Fun? definitely.

But I get it...
    If you get it. He's on a 160 bike and ex Moto racer. Nobody said upper black or Buckwheat were flow trails. Stick with the narrative. Don't make it personal. We all ride for the same reason. He said he didn't want the same basic online info about trails.

since 4/10/2009
    My def of a flow trail is you can start and finish without stopping or huge changes in speed. No "rock crawling" or trials riding. It can be brown cement like Ridgeline or a ton of roots like Heartbreak, you still flow, like water.
    Your definition of "flow trail" is not the widely accepted industry definition.

Part of the problem is that you are conflating the more general characteristic of "flow" in a trail with "Flow Trail" which is a trail that follows specific design parameters to maximize that trail's "flow".

https://hansrey.com/flow-country/

All trails have "flow" but not all trails are "Flow Trails"

Ridgeline is a borderline case between a trail with lots of flow and a "flow trail" by the industry standard definition. Spencer is just a flowy trail. Lower Black is just flowy.

Nov 2015
    Your definition of "flow trail" is not the widely accepted industry definition.

Part of the problem is that you are conflating the more general characteristic of "flow" in a trail with "Flow Trail" which is a trail that follows specific design parameters to maximize that trail's "flow".

https://hansrey.com/flow-country/

All trails have "flow" but not all trails are "Flow Trails"

Ridgeline is a borderline case between a trail with lots of flow and a "flow trail" by the industry standard definition. Spencer is just a flowy trail.
    Following your line of reason, he's never ridden a single flow trail in his life at Racoon or Mulberry. Those are trails built by hand without "flow trail engineering". Fire mountain stuff is what Hans rey is talking about. Those trails are cool, sometimes. There is none of those in Brevard. That's because they have natural flow trails.

since 4/10/2009
    Following your line of reason, he's never ridden a single flow trail in his life at Racoon or Mulberry. Those are trails built by hand without "flow trail engineering". Fire mountain stuff is what Hans rey is talking about. Those trails are cool, sometimes. There is none of those in Brevard. That's because they have natural flow trails.
    Yes, Fire Mountain is a group of Flow Trails.

Maybe he's ridden more places than JUST Raccoon Mtn and the Pinhotis/Bear Creek near Mulberry Gap and has ridden flow trail in those areas. I dunno. Not judging. I'm just saying that Pisgah does not have "Flow Trails" and that Ridgeline is the closest you're going to find in the Brevard area.

Formerly of Kent
    Everything at/near Mulberry Gap is pretty tame XC. Most everything in Pisgah is firmly within the XC realm, just rougher than Mulberry by a significant margin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Nov 2015
    Yes, Fire Mountain is a group of Flow Trails.

Maybe he's ridden more places than JUST Raccoon Mtn and the Pinhotis/Bear Creek near Mulberry Gap and has ridden flow trail in those areas. I dunno. Not judging. I'm just saying that Pisgah does not have "Flow Trails" and that Ridgeline is the closest you're going to find in the Brevard area.
    Bracken and Spencer branch are flow trails by both of our definition and so is Kitsuma and lower heartbreak/star Gap. Ridgeline is a hiking path.

I would say Pinhoti 3 is a flow trail and maybe 4 also.

since 4/10/2009
    Bracken and Spencer branch are flow trails by both of our definition and so is Kitsuma and lower heartbreak/star Gap. Ridgeline is a hiking path.

I would say Pinhoti 3 is a flow trail and maybe 4 also.
    No, they aren't.

I'm guessing you've not ridden many ACTUAL flow trails. Let alone built one.

Nov 2015
    No, they aren't.

I'm guessing you've not ridden many ACTUAL flow trails. Let alone built one.
    I ride the Pisgah flow trails daily.

since 4/10/2009
    I ride the Pisgah flow trails daily.
    I rest my case

Nov 2015
    I rest my case
    You never had one. You're trying to make a case that the trails i mention are not flow trails but you already stated they are flowy. So as I stated. Middle and lower black, Bennet gap, bracken, Spencer branch, kistuma, heartbreak ridge, Ridgeline, burnt MTN are all flow trails. You flow on them. Not stop and start and rock crawling and trials riding or water fordings or anything that interrupts your flow state.

since 4/10/2009
    You never had one. You're trying to make a case that the trails i mention are not flow trails but you already stated they are flowy. So as I stated. Middle and lower black, Bennet gap, bracken, Spencer branch, kistuma, heartbreak ridge, Ridgeline, burnt MTN are all flow trails. You flow on them. Not stop and start and rock crawling and trials riding or water fordings or anything that interrupts your flow state.
    And you continue to conflate flow in a trail with FLOW TRAIL. Those things are not the same. ALL TRAILS have flow, even slow, techy trails. That's a type of flow, too. Abrupt changes in flow are also a type of flow. Not exactly a desirable one, but it's part of flow nonetheless.

But not all trails are FLOW TRAILS. Fire Mountain trails are FLOW TRAILS. Trails with flow aren't all FLOW TRAILS.

What we have in Pisgah are just a bunch of trails. Mostly backcountry. Many of them are decades old and predate the concept of FLOW TRAILS. Quite a few predate modern mountain biking. Quite a lot of them are on old logging roads. By definition, they cannot be FLOW TRAILS because part of the definition of FLOW TRAILS is that they are designed for mountain bike priority in traffic. We absolutely don't have that in Pisgah or Dupont.

Doesn't matter that a lot of them flow nicely. Doesn't make them FLOW TRAILS.

A "state of flow" is a different concept altogether. That's happening inside you and is a particular state of mind and body. And it's not exclusive to mountain bikes. The trail might be a factor in achieving a state of flow, but the biggest factor is the rider.

Big Mac
    Michigan called. They want their stud back.

Nov 2015
    And you continue to conflate flow in a trail with FLOW TRAIL. Those things are not the same. ALL TRAILS have flow, even slow, techy trails. That's a type of flow, too. Abrupt changes in flow are also a type of flow. Not exactly a desirable one, but it's part of flow nonetheless.

But not all trails are FLOW TRAILS. Fire Mountain trails are FLOW TRAILS. Trails with flow aren't all FLOW TRAILS.

What we have in Pisgah are just a bunch of trails. Mostly backcountry. Many of them are decades old and predate the concept of FLOW TRAILS. Quite a few predate modern mountain biking. Quite a lot of them are on old logging roads. By definition, they cannot be FLOW TRAILS because part of the definition of FLOW TRAILS is that they are designed for mountain bike priority in traffic. We absolutely don't have that in Pisgah or Dupont.

Doesn't matter that a lot of them flow nicely. Doesn't make them FLOW TRAILS.

A "state of flow" is a different concept altogether. That's happening inside you and is a particular state of mind and body. And it's not exclusive to mountain bikes. The trail might be a factor in achieving a state of flow, but the biggest factor is the rider.
    I interpreted the original post like this. The op wants trails he can find flow on his 160 bike. I didn't think he meant Fire MTN type when he said ex Moto racer on a 160 bike and he rides mulberry and Racoon cause none of those are fire MTN type trails. I thought he meant finding flow on trails that have flow if you find it. That he wants to blast DH on trails not bike park.

Oramm and the Pisgah Enduro use the same trails. One is an XC race and one is an Enduro. So are they xc trails or DH trails? Pisgah stage race uses the trails around Brevard. Are they XC trails or DH?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Michigan called. They want their stud back.

I think he'd fit right in with the crowd in Sedona and the "2%ers" over there.

Nov 2015
    I think he'd fit right in with the crowd in Sedona and the "2%ers" over there.
    I am not into rock crawling or trials riding. I rode all the trails that are famous and left that place as fast as my piece of crap van would get up the hill to Flagstaff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The climbing in this area is generally easier than what you'll get in the Mulberry Gap area, where it seems like you spend forever on fire roads and are really far out there. The trails here are a little closer to civilization, although you'll spend a lot of time climbing, but you are in the mountains...

Out of Davidson River campground directly, you'll have easy access to Black Mountain, Bennett Gap, and Avery Creek. You'll be within close driving distance of the fish hatchery area, where you have Cove Creek, Daniel's Ridge, Butter Gap, and Farlow Gap.

You'll be a little bit of a drive to the trails in DuPont, but not very long, and a bit longer to the N Mills River trails (Spencer Branch, Trace Ridge, Pilot Rock).

If I was here for those days, here is what I'd do:

Thursday: DuPont - Lake Imaging trailhead/parking lot, climb Jim Branch, ride Isaac Heath, Locust, Hilltop, then reverse the route to go back to the top of Jim Branch, take a right and go down to Buck Forest Rd. Follow Buck Forest Rd until you get to Guion Farms, take Sky Valley Rd to Rocky Ridge, ride that, cross the road to climb up Guion to Boundary back to Hickory Mountain Rd, then to White Pine and Hooker Creek. Ride Hooker, climb the other side, take a right and go up to Hickory Mountain loop, then finish on Ridgeline.

DuPont is a little trickier to navigate, there are more intersections, but that should give you about 15-16 miles in DuPont, which will generally be easier on your body and a good warmup.

Day 2: Pisgah - Full Black - From your campground, take 276 to Avery Creek Rd to the horse stables (you'll see a sign on the right), ride up Clawhammer Rd past the gate and continue straight all the way until you reach the staircase on the left (it intersects Black, this will take a while), take Black Mountain trail on the right and ride/push up the remaining portion (this is a mixed hike a bike and ride, but it's not that bad, 45min at worst). Ride down Black Mountain entirely, end up at the bottom of Lower, where you can either ride up to go do Sycamore or end up back at your campsite.

Day 3: Pisgah - hatchery stuff - Park at the fish hatchery, ride up Headwaters Rd to Cove Creek Rd, ride down Cove Creek trail. When you see the campground on the left and cross the stream at the bottom, instead of going left, hook a right and push/ride up this little bit of singletrack until you reach Lanning Ridge Rd, take a right onto the road and climb until it intersects with Daniel's Ridge. Take a right and push/ride up Daniel's until it intersects with the connector, then continue downhill to finish the rocky side of Daniel's. At the parking lot at the bottom, take a right and climb until you reach a 4 way intersection, go left and ride the fire road for a while until it pitches downhill. You'll descend the road for a while and eventually see a parking area on your left with a gated gravel road (if you start seeing road signs on the right, you've gone too far, you'll know you are getting close when you start seeing open campsites on the right) climb up that to Butter Gap and take that to Cat Gap (please be mindful of hikers, this is a popular hiking trail. For other readers, it also closes Apr15-Oct15 for mountain biking), which you'll ride back to the hatchery. You'll end up with around 23 miles or so on this route, but the climbing is mostly mellow, Daniel's Ridge aside.

Day 4: Pisgah - I usually send folks to N Mills River to do Spencer or Trace. It'll depend on how you feel, though, because doing that climb twice after the previous 3 days can be tough. Another option would be to do Bennett (this one is fairly simple, climb Avery Creek Rd to Bennett Gap trail on the left, go down, end back up on Avery Creek Rd).

All of this assuming your climbing and fitness ability are on par for N GA. If not, some may be a bit harder. I'd also use Trailforks instead of mtbproject, it's a bit more complete and easier to make sense of here.
    Thanks for the level of detail here. I'll Definately take this into consideration.

Thanks!

If you get it. He's on a 160 bike and ex Moto racer. Nobody said upper black or Buckwheat were flow trails. Stick with the narrative. Don't make it personal. We all ride for the same reason. He said he didn't want the same basic online info about trails.

I just named Racoon/Mulberry since they are probably the more known trails in our area. There are plenty more we ride, however, they are far more XC oriented. We made a trip to Beech several years ago on my older 150mm Bronson and ran most all the trails there until I wadded it up and got road rash everywhere... My bike hated me and so did my brakes that were mush after 2 runs.....

We just want to ride some different stuff. Coming from racing pro extreme enduro and trials stuff we would love to bomb some gnar trails. However, deep at heart, tech stuff is my jam vs blitzing donwhills at 35mpg and gap jumping etc....

My idea of a flow trail is one that you can maintain a good pace with minimal input, slightly down hill but not has level secion also, likely has berms, and can pump to maintain speed if needed etc. We don't have many "flow" trails in East TN and what ones we do, they are pretty short. Seems to be either uphill or downhill with lots of short punchy climbs on the downhills...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    idsmoken2 I live in N GA and ride the same areas as you. I've been to Pisgah and Dupont 5-6 times and I can tell you from my experience you ought to take advise from Harold, Adero, and Banjopickin. Solid advise from those folks.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmokeu2 View Post
    Thanks for the level of detail here. I'll Definately take this into consideration.

Thanks!

I just named Racoon/Mulberry since they are probably the more known trails in our area. There are plenty more we ride, however, they are far more XC oriented. We made a trip to Beech several years ago on my older 150mm Bronson and ran most all the trails there until I wadded it up and got road rash everywhere... My bike hated me and so did my brakes that were mush after 2 runs.....

We just want to ride some different stuff. Coming from racing pro extreme enduro and trials stuff we would love to bomb some gnar trails. However, deep at heart, tech stuff is my jam vs blitzing donwhills at 35mpg and gap jumping etc....

My idea of a flow trail is one that you can maintain a good pace with minimal input, slightly down hill but not has level secion also, likely has berms, and can pump to maintain speed if needed etc. We don't have many "flow" trails in East TN and what ones we do, they are pretty short. Seems to be either uphill or downhill with lots of short punchy climbs on the downhills...
    I ride all the trails i mentioned on a 100mm Trek Top fuel and a Sworks Epic hardtail. There is no extreme Enduro gap jump bike park stuff around here. The Enduro and the xc race use the same trails. I would go to Fire Mountain then, you can get lots of flow with minimal effort or ability to ride over a bump. Nothing in Brevard or Asheville is that style of trail. You have to find the flow through trail interpretation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Our East Tennessee definition of XC trails might be different than the Pisgah/dupont definition of XC trails also. I'm sure your guy's "XC" style trail is likely what would be consider an "all mountain" trail in Tennessee...

When it gets down to it, we just want to ride some different trails at a different location, have a few beers afterwards, sh!t talk about each other's screwups, and have a good time...

It's tentatively looking like we will try to make it out there next weekend.... Maybe only get to ride the 5th, 6th, and 7th though... Anyone local riding in the area that weekend?

since 4/10/2009
    Our East Tennessee definition of XC trails might be different than the Pisgah/dupont definition of XC trails also. I'm sure your guy's "XC" style trail is likely what would be consider an "all mountain" trail in Tennessee...

When it gets down to it, we just want to ride some different trails at a different location, have a few beers afterwards, sh!t talk about each other's screwups, and have a good time...

It's tentatively looking like we will try to make it out there next weekend.... Maybe only get to ride the 5th, 6th, and 7th though... Anyone local riding in the area that weekend?
    You'll be fine. Your bikes will be fine. You might hate life for a little while on the gravel climbs. But then you'll have fun coming down. The beer is good and plentiful, so you'll be good then, too.

mtbr member
    I have good "Flow" in the morning...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post
    I have good "Flow" in the morning...
    Is this gonna turn into another poop thread?

Big Mac
    Is this gonna turn into another poop thread?
    Well, somebody already shit on it.

mtbr member
    This thread is why the F word needs to be eliminated from trail talk. 😂 Everyone is right here (imo)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Day 3: Pisgah - hatchery stuff - Park at the fish hatchery...
    OP, If you're constrained to not uproot your camp, and depending on your fitness and what you consider a "day's ride", it's about a 25-30 minute ride from Davidson to the fish hatchery...hang a right on 475b on the way up to 225 as Adodero explains and you're on your way to the Cove Creek trail (otherwise, Adodero outlines a pretty solid route on the west side of 276, moderate technical terrain and easy to ride fast with your 160mm-travel rigs).

mtbr member
    Yo, Rookie Smith! Is that you?

Just go with me (Scott) and our group April 11-14. We already have the site booked at Davidson. If you don't have a site you won't find one til August anyways. I already have some routes planned for a few 18 mile days. We will hit most of the stuff these goobs are talking about between arguing over what "flow trail" means.

I have already paid for the site. Just bring a tent and beer!
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

If you are riding the harder stuff at Racoon, then you'll be fine on any trail in pisgah. Some of those rocky sections at Racoon are on par with farlow/HB/et al. Might not be as sustained as pisgah and the climbs aren't as long.

I'd recommend Daniel's Ridge for a short day (arrival or departure day) or paired with another ride. Farlow is great, but the gravel grind sucks. If you do farlow, no need to really do daniel's ridge as farlow will include 1/2 of DR. The big M (black and Sycamore) or a variant would be another good one. Trace Ridge is another good option. Heartbreak/Kitsuma is great, however that will be around an hour east (one way) from brevard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post

Just go with me (Scott) and our group April 11-14. We already have the site booked at Davidson. If you don't have a site you won't find one til August anyways. I already have some routes planned for a few 18 mile days. We will hit most of the stuff these goobs are talking about between arguing over what "flow trail" means.

Nice offer.

Just FYI for others- a majority of the sites at DR are drive-up only. You will almost never find a site available Friday/Saturday in season, but if you drive-up right around check-in/check-out time on a weekday/Sunday, you have a decent chance of getting a site. I may or may note have driven down on Thursday, paid through the weekend, gone home, and come back on Friday (more than once).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post

Yea man. We would take you up on that offer if I didn't have to work that entire weekend... Plus the guy I was coming with has his girl that week so doesn't want to take a trip when he's got her..

mtbr member
    Yea man. We would take you up on that offer if I didn't have to work that entire weekend... Plus the guy I was coming with has his girl that week so doesn't want to take a trip when he's got her..
    No worries brother. Iíll text you when we go again in the fall.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for all the suggestions. We rode numerous trails Saturday at Dupont putting in about 15 miles after driving up that morning. We rode black mtn (up clawhammer) and down to the bottom. Was going to ride Sycamore Cove but with a late start, pretty soaked, and a 4 hr drive back we decided to leave it until next time...

As the others said, Dupont was pretty close to what we have here in East Tn.. Pisgah was my jam though... I liked the rough mile section going town Black Mtb just after the Turkeypen gap intersection... I've never "pushed a bike" but with the rain we had the night before, some of those crazy rocks ledges and wet roots there was no choice..... Good times and can't wait to go back for some more exploring....

mtbr member
    Yeah Josh, after the hike a bike over Claw, Black is amazing. When its dry and tacky you can just send all that stuff. Lower Black, at the end with all the wall rides, may be one of the most fun trails I have ever ridden.

Keep on Rockin...
    Tuned in...

Rode Pisgah (and Dupont) last summer and was really impressed, so I've been planning on getting back.

I'd really like to camp and ride from the site. Being able to hit the trails I really liked (IIRC - Farlow, Bennet, Black, Daniel's) would be great. Gotta' get out a map.

mtbr member
    When my singlespeed buddies and I head to Brevard, we usually do a full day at Dupont and hit basically every trail in the park except the Reasonover descent. Most of it was mentioned in this thread but it may not be obvious that you can hit the main fun descents in a single loop. In fact, my paper map of the area doesn't even have one of the trails required to connect the CMS side to the LI side. Stop at The Hub and pick up a map and you'll easily navigate the whole thing.

Our loop, without needlessly listing every trail, is:
    Lake Imaging Parking Lot
    Singletrack as long as possible to Conservation Rd.
    Climb Conservation road to Airstrip (fun descent #1)
    Airstrip to Corn Mill Shoals (detour out and back to bridal veil falls if you want)
    Up then down Corn Mill Shoals (fun descent #2)
    Up then down Burnt Mountain (fun descent #3...one of the best!)
    Up Little River to Cedar Rock and down Big Rock (fun descent #4)
    Pro tip: Leave a car with water/food at CMS lot...you're right there at the bottom of Big Rock)
    Corn Mills Shoals to Shoals to Laurel Ridge to Mine Mountain (fun descent #5) down to reasonover lot
    Up Reasonover then hard right onto Turkey Knob. Roll for 2-3 miles then descend (fun descent #6) to Briery Something. Some fun descents in there until...
    Boring doubletrack all the way to the top of Ridgeline.
    Descend Ridgeline (fun descent #7...everyone's favorite way to end the day)

Again, we ride this on HT singlespeeds and we're all old, so it's certainly not 160mm travel moto-racer worthy but if you're gonna hit Dupont, this is the best way I've found.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Tuned in...

Rode Pisgah (and Dupont) last summer and was really impressed, so I've been planning on getting back.

I'd really like to camp and ride from the site. Being able to hit the trails I really liked (IIRC - Farlow, Bennet, Black, Daniel's) would be great. Gotta' get out a map.
    We camped one night at Davidson Campground. We would have rode from the campground, however, we had to be out by 12 and after getting a late start we just parked next to the Ranger Station.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    When my singlespeed buddies and I head to Brevard, we usually do a full day at Dupont and hit basically every trail in the park except the Reasonover descent. Most of it was mentioned in this thread but it may not be obvious that you can hit the main fun descents in a single loop. In fact, my paper map of the area doesn't even have one of the trails required to connect the CMS side to the LI side. Stop at The Hub and pick up a map and you'll easily navigate the whole thing.

Our loop, without needlessly listing every trail, is:
    Lake Imaging Parking Lot
    Singletrack as long as possible to Conservation Rd.
    Climb Conservation road to Airstrip (fun descent #1)
    Airstrip to Corn Mill Shoals (detour out and back to bridal veil falls if you want)
    Up then down Corn Mill Shoals (fun descent #2)
    Up then down Burnt Mountain (fun descent #3...one of the best!)
    Up Little River to Cedar Rock and down Big Rock (fun descent #4)
    Pro tip: Leave a car with water/food at CMS lot...you're right there at the bottom of Big Rock)
    Corn Mills Shoals to Shoals to Laurel Ridge to Mine Mountain (fun descent #5) down to reasonover lot
    Up Reasonover then hard right onto Turkey Knob. Roll for 2-3 miles then descend (fun descent #6) to Briery Something. Some fun descents in there until...
    Boring doubletrack all the way to the top of Ridgeline.
    Descend Ridgeline (fun descent #7...everyone's favorite way to end the day)

Again, we ride this on HT singlespeeds and we're all old, so it's certainly not 160mm travel moto-racer worthy but if you're gonna hit Dupont, this is the best way I've found.
    I'll have to save info this for next time. I really need to find an App that I can pre plan a route... It was a pita to pull out phones (trail forks) and see where we wanted to go at each intersection. Trail forks might do it but I haven't made the effort to try. I've never used trail forks until this trip so it was a good learning experience for us both.

One thing we noticed as Dupont was PACKED. I don't know if that's the normal or if it was just due to the nice weather. We stopped at Lake Imaging for about 20 minutes and there was no telling how many people we saw ride by. However, as long as you kept moving on the trails we didn't really see as many people..

mtbr member
    Yup, Dupont can be really crowded on nice weekends, especially around the easy-access waterfalls. Obviously, loads of people who are neither serious hikers or mountain bikers will flood the parking lots and can handle a short walk to see the falls. But once you get away from the main parking areas, even the most crowded days don't feel like it on the trails.

Pisgah, on the other hand, feels remote even if you're just doing the Big M from The Hub.

As far as navigation in Dupont goes, I think the paper map is actually better than TrailForks or MTBProject. But if you want turn-by-turn directions, just find a Strava feed of the route you want and upload that to your bike computer (assuming you're using one) or use MTBProject to upload a route you want if it's not listed.

since 4/10/2009
    One thing we noticed as Dupont was PACKED. I don't know if that's the normal or if it was just due to the nice weather. We stopped at Lake Imaging for about 20 minutes and there was no telling how many people we saw ride by. However, as long as you kept moving on the trails we didn't really see as many people..
    The trailheads at dupont do get packed. Esp on nice weekend days when there is a holiday (spring break, etc) bringing people from out of town. Lots of beginner and intermediate riders not aware of/interested in pisgah, even the more attainable stuff there. Lots really enjoy dupont, though.

Usually people disperse well on the trails, though.

I am also definitely a paper map person when I can get a good one. Thankfully, we have good ones for this area. I have tried programming singletrack courses on my Garmin and it's just not for me.

Study maps and my ridden routes enough, and I start to learn the trails for an area.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    We camped one night at Davidson Campground. We would have rode from the campground, however, we had to be out by 12 and after getting a late start we just parked next to the Ranger Station.

I'll have to save info this for next time. I really need to find an App that I can pre plan a route... It was a pita to pull out phones (trail forks) and see where we wanted to go at each intersection. Trail forks might do it but I haven't made the effort to try. I've never used trail forks until this trip so it was a good learning experience for us both.

Get the Avenza PDF maps app, buy the Pisgah Map Company Dupont map, or the new Friends of Dupont map, use the record your route feature. It'll trace a yellow line as you ride and you will see where you went/are going.