Town of Wilkesboro opinions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Town of Wilkesboro opinions

So my wife and I are looking to buy a small parcel of land to put up a small cabin to serve as a base camp for weekend getaways. We live in Raleigh and 2.5 hours in the car is much more doable than 3.5-4.5 as the kids get restless. Wilkesboro looks good with Black Mountain, OVT and Warrior Creek as local rides and Pisgah not too far away (relative). Anyone live there? We are looking for a sleepy town that is not too country and maybe even rider friendly. Please let me know any opinions. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    I can't speak for Wilkesboro proper, but my girlfriend and I recently stayed at a friend's cabin in West Jefferson, which was north of Wilkesboro, and very close to the Blue Ridge parkway. Nice little town, and it was really easy to ride around there. I think it's about 30 minutes-ish to the Dark Mountain / OVT / Warrior Creek trails, another 30 or so to Boone / Wilson's Creek, and I'm not really sure how far to Asheville / Pisgah, but it was right on the Parkway so I doubt it would be that bad.
    "lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven"

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zazen
    So my wife and I are looking to buy a small parcel of land to put up a small cabin to serve as a base camp for weekend getaways. We live in Raleigh and 2.5 hours in the car is much more doable than 3.5-4.5 as the kids get restless. Wilkesboro looks good with Black Mountain, OVT and Warrior Creek as local rides and Pisgah not too far away (relative). Anyone live there? We are looking for a sleepy town that is not too country and maybe even rider friendly. Please let me know any opinions. Thanks in advance
    I have a business there but drive 3 hours each day not to live there. It is very country, food sucks, and not rider friendly at all except the trails. There is not even a bike store in town... wilsons is not 30 mins away. I wouldnt live ther to save my life, if you are going there for bike riding while the trails are fun you will get bored fast... there are more trails in charlotte
    sorry tro be a debbie downer. Maybe when the rocky knob bike park opens in boone ...

Still surfin in my 60's.
    Zazen, I don't know what Supercrusty's problem is with Wilkesboro, but all I really know is what I see when I drive through on my way to the Blue ridge Mountains. Is MTB your only interest or are you into other outdoor activities? If you could find a piece of land up Highway 16 or 18 west of Wilkesboro that put you close to the New river, trout fishing, the Blue rRdge Parkway, great hiking trails, rock climbing, etc. Ashe County has some lots that aren't too expensive if you look around. The closer to Boone and Blowing Rock, the higher the real estate.
    So you think you can jump!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There is not even a bike store in town...

Brushy Mountain Bicycles is on the corner of C & 10th Streets in N. Wilkesboro. Go by and support our local shop if you can.
    Last edited by chopsythekid; 09-27-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    He asked our opinions it is pretty country IMHO. Although I am biased I prefer livig in the city Clt ? Yes the is one in n wilkesboro Which is a different town. Although I forgot about your store my humblest appologies...
    The people are nice but it is just not my cup
    Of tea

mtbr member
    LOL,

Please dont listen to crusty. Wilkesboro of north Wilkesboro would be a fine place to have a get away. I live here and love every minute of it. We are rated one of the best road biking counties in the state and we do have some awesome mnt bike trails, with more on the way. Our bike shop has one heck of a mechanic, and is located right in the middle of the boros . Oh and i think the food is fine, plus we have a Olive garden on the way. But if you dont like the restaurants, our grocery stores have the same food as any other city.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I live in Taylorsville, just south of Wilkesboro and I enjoy Wilkes County for outdoor activites. Excellent terrain for road cycling with the Brushy Mountains on one side and the BRP skirting the upper edges. Stone Mtn park is there and of course, the Dark Mtn/OVT/Warrior Creek trail network. If your kids bike like ours do, everyone takes off at the trail head and we meet back 3-4 hours later without worrying about each others whereabouts.

The local BMCC club is super active with the road and MTB scene and host many top-notch rides/races/events.

Check it out. It might provide some low-key living to balance out the stress of rush hour RTP traffic on I-40!

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Olive garden exactly hahahaha
    I will leave this one alone now. Don't listen to any of us on the Internet you should check it out for yourself, it is defiantly not Asheville.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbykeller
    Oh and i think the food is fine, plus we have a Olive garden on the way.
    Woohoo...I'm sold! Honey, pack up the young'ins...we're moving!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I will have to poke around a little more, seems like a real possibility.

Still surfin in my 60's.
    Supercrusty, if you like big city livin', I'm cool with that. Especially since you get out and "get dirty like the rest tof us. I have lived in DC, NYC, and Seattle and was glad to get back to the country, NC country. I have 46 acres to play on, between my wife and I, my sister-in-law, and my brother-in-law. (The family farm). Laying out my own trails on it. Life is good, no matter where you live.
    So you think you can jump!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you need a builder or help let me know. www.abbydesignandconstruction.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Well I have to reply to this if for nothing more than the reference to trails in the Charlotte area. The trails in Wilkes are rated as some of the top in the Nation. If you're looking for trails with a mix of climbs, downhills (not DH race hills), speed and incredible flow then you will not be disappointed. If you're more about flat trails with minimal elevation climb then definitely other area trails would be more suitable.

As for the town its way more laid back than Charlotte. Traffic isn't bad and you can leave your keys in the car when you run into the grocery store...most of the time anyway....were not immune from crime unfortunately. I work in Mooresville which is just outside of Charlotte. I drive 60 miles one way from Wilkes and its definitely worth it to me. I don't want to live in the hussle & bussle.

Just search the forums to see what type of rating the trails have. People drive 2-3 hours every weekend just to ride the trails. Can't say that about many other places supercusty. I ride the trails multiple times per week and I always have a blast. Three trails to pick from so just switch it up each time....how you get bored is beyond me.
    CYCLETHERAPY - INDUSTRY NINE - FORMULA BRAKES

http://brushymtncyclists.com/

spec4life???..smh...
    I live in wilkes and I agree with all of what guard said....

First Ill say that I race collegiately all around the mid to south east and Iv never rode a trail I enjoy more than any one of the three options in wilkes. I love the fast smooth flowy single track with climbs that are long enough to hurt but not have to hike a bike. The trails in charlotte Iv rode and raced most and they are flat slow and rooty. yes there are more trail locations there but they are short and not my kind of fun. Bottom line you couldn't ask for more in the way of trails and all other outdoor options.

The town is laid back but it is country. I wouldnt necessarily call it rider friendly like ashville but there are groups like the BMCC that are very friendly and put on some of the best races in the state in my opinion. Also they are always building new trails.

Have to decide for yourself..

mtbr member
    Wilkes/ Dark Mountain trails have an unique feel. I like it- every now and then.

Those trails create flow by forcing the rider to follow the line of the existing track. Don't get me wrong, it requires skill, but it's a different kind of skill from...

the kind of trails I prefer are trails that force you to create your own flow using your skills and the existing, sometimes not purpose-built, terrain. These kind of trails are relatively near-by in Wilson's Creek but non-existent in the trails around Kerr Scott Rerservoir.

Btw- the grocery stores in Wilkesboro definitely do NOT stock the same quality and variety of foods available in larger areas- just fwtw.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am from Charlotte, but live in Boone and have been riding in Wilkes and Wilson's Creek for the past year and a half now. Wilkes is cool, it has a lot of flow and you can ride xc, all-mountain, or downhill (although there is really only one short downhill track). The riding is very flowy, with lots of water bars, berms and few rocky or rooty sections. You get really good at pumping your bike and can catch bits of air here and there. Out of the three trail systems I prefer dark mountain mainly because its fits my more DH/AM oriented style of riding. OVT and WC can get old pretty quick with a 34 pound bike. I will say that after a year of riding there about once a week it gets kind of boring. Winston is 45 minutes away as is Boone. To get to Wilsons Creek which is a lot of fun to ride it will take about 1 1/2 hours. WC is a lot more techy, but is a blast to ride. Also Rocky Knob's first loop will open in the next week or so which should be cool and from the looks of it, it will be somewhere in between what Wilkes and what WC offers. Although if I had to pick one to compare it to I would say these trails will be more like Dark Mountain. Charlotte has a fair amount to offer, I used to live downtown and it was about 20-30 min. to reach any of the trail systems my fav being sherman branch, but all of the trails are pretty much geared toward XC.

mtbr member
    Someone may have already addressed this, but I post it anyway.

N. Wilkesboro is in the foothills... not the mountains. Elevation is 1000 feet, which means it's not much cooler (or less humid) than Raleigh. There's a huge difference between Wilkesboro and Boone. It's hot and muggy in the Summer.
    Zippity do dah...

banjo plunker, wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbykeller
    LOL,

Please dont listen to crusty. Wilkesboro of north Wilkesboro would be a fine place to have a get away. I live here and love every minute of it. We are rated one of the best road biking counties in the state and we do have some awesome mnt bike trails, with more on the way. Our bike shop has one heck of a mechanic, and is located right in the middle of the boros . Oh and i think the food is fine, plus we have a Olive garden on the way. But if you dont like the restaurants, our grocery stores have the same food as any other city.
    Don't forget one of the best and largest music festivals in the southeast...Merlefest!
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Really appreciate all the positive comments. We take great pride in our trails and I'd wager our club puts in more hours than most. Almost every weekend someone is out there working, either cutting new trail or pulling maintenance.

As for the weather, we're typically around 10 degrees cooler than Raleigh and humidity is high in the summer. If you trek up to Boone you'll drop another 10 degrees or so...definitely nice when you hit the dog days of summer.

Just an FYI for those in the area that may have been interested in the six hour race at Warrior Creek. Registration is now closed. It opened this past Thursday at midnight. By 8am Friday we had 75 entries and by 11pm 300 entries! Not bad for a race that is 6 months out. Appreciate the support!!!

zazen, I don't know of any races that have this type of response in the area so maybe this will add to your opinion on the trails and the types of events BMCC offers. We'd love to have you in the area and be an active part of the club.
    CYCLETHERAPY - INDUSTRY NINE - FORMULA BRAKES

http://brushymtncyclists.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by swaneedawg
    Don't forget one of the best and largest music festivals in the southeast...Merlefest!
    Right on. I love to head that way, never forget to honor Merle.

Members who have read this thread: 0