Tires for WNC- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tires for WNC

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Tires for WNC

Any new and improved tires for Pisgah riding? I am moving back to WNC after spending five + years out in the dry west. I have been using hard pack tires like the Maxis Ikons and Kenda Small Block Eights while out there, though my last set up was a Maxis Ignitor rear paired with a wider Maxis Ardent in front, which worked good both out there and when I came east several times the past year. I guess the best discription is that I ride "trail", (back in the day it was all one tribe). I will ride mainly in Pisgah, Grandfather and western Virginia. I have been called an aggressive rider, for an "old person", but if I leave the ground it is no longer measured in feet, just inches. Weight is important as I don't like being attached to rolling anchors and enjoy going up as well as I enjoy going down, but if a tire combo is great I can over look that. Thanks!

western NC
    I've been running the Bontragers for a few seasons now and have been really happy with them. XR4 29 x 2.3 expert up front, XR3 29 x 2.3 expert out back. They are on the heavier side if you're the weight weenie type, but I like a burly tire I don't have to carefully pick my way through things with. Welcome home BTW.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Minions DHFs.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Specialized Butcher and Purgatory. Great combo for the riding here. Grid casings most likely. I trust Chris Wyatt engineered tires with my life just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In the past I've run a combo of Purgatory on the front and Slaughter on the back. Recently, I've been trying a couple of Serfas Krest, 2.3, front and back. They are set up tubeless, other than the fact they are heavy, I've been pleased with them.

mtbr member
    Minion DHF/Agressor

EXO casing at minimum... maybe even DD casing if you're a ripper.

Really any tire with a tough casing and decent tread will work fine. If you charge and ride at a higher level you may need a burlier tire.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm a Schwobble guy. 2.35 Nobby Nic Snakeskin/Trailstar compound front, 2.35 Rock Razor Snakeskin/Pacestar compound rear for all around riding. I'll run a 2.35 Magic Mary SS/Trailstar up front on a shorter, gravity oriented ride. It's a little heavy and slow rolling for a "big" ride. On the XC bike, it's a 2.25 Hans Damph SS/Trailstar front and 2.25 Racing Ralph SS/Pacestar rear.

I've tried a lot of different brands of tires, but I always end up back on Schwalbe. There are a lot of good options out there to choose from.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Specialized Butcher and Purgatory. Great combo for the riding here. Grid casings most likely. I trust Chris Wyatt engineered tires with my life just sayin'.
    +1 for the Purgatory on the rear. I am a long time Maxxis guy, but Pisgah was just detonating my rear Maxxis tires. Had one Purgatory for 10 months in 2016-2017. Got another to replace it last month.

I have a 2.5 DHF on the front that has been great. I would have no qualms to try a Butcher up front. Sugar_Brad would you still want the GRID on the front? Or do you think a Control would be suitable on the front?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    For the front, Minion DHF/Butcher work really well, and I'm really liking the E-13 TRS. Rear is more dependent on the season. I ripped a sidewall on my Butcher Control front tire, so I would recommend Grid or reinforced casings front and back. I am about 185 pounds, but not particularily aggressive. Generally, I'm pretty easy on my parts, but I've ripped a few sidewalls in Pisgah.

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    not particularily aggressive.
    Says the guy that smoked me the whole way down Black Mtn.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Says the guy that smoked me the whole way down Black Mtn.
    Lol. I bet it was the tires, or maybe fork travel! You're going to need to change your profile pic...

western NC
    Yep, we'll go with that for my ego's sake. Good point on the profile pic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    DHF/DHR II 3C/TR/Exo can't go wrong
    Butcher GRID front and back

Kind of depends on whether you're looking for something to keep you planted while ripping down classic Pisgah downhills (i.e. Bennet, Daniel's, Avery, Black), or if you're looking for long miles long hours epic rides (i.e. PMBAR, Potato, ORAMM)
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    DHF/DHR II 3C/TR/Exo can't go wrong
    Butcher GRID front and back

Kind of depends on whether you're looking for something to keep you planted while ripping down classic Pisgah downhills (i.e. Bennet, Daniel's, Avery, Black), or if you're looking for long miles long hours epic rides (i.e. PMBAR, Potato, ORAMM)
    Man I went through 7 Maxxis tires (all either EXO or DD) in the spring. Not sure if their quality has dropped off or what.

The Spesh Grids have crushed it for me.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth new Specialized tires are no longer made in the same factory as Maxxis. They (SBC) purchased their own facility. All the new Griptons ride really nice.

ready to ride
    I ride the same tires everywhere. I'm a tire killer and I'd rather give up a bit of speed over confidence. I'll assume we are talking 27.5

Onza Ibex 2.4 enduro model f'ing bullet proof. Runs great on a wide rim and durable. Like it both front and back. The same tire made it to Whistler twice. Different seasons. Nuff said. Don't bother with the lighter versions. I accidentally bought a race 2.25 and shredded it properly in UT the other week.

On One Chunky Monkey, great rear, rolls well and tough as nails. I typically like something with a bit more profile but its a damned good tire that rolls well for what it is.

Minion DHF WT, love hate. Great tire but seams to wear quick. Cornering knobs look great but have had too many wash outs on the front. All in all still a great tire but going to give the Magic Mary a try or go back to the Ibex
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan