Tire Suggestions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Tire Suggestions.

I'm getting ready to build up my new Knolly Warden next week and wanted to get some ideas on what tires to run for riding in WNC. I ride up that way quite a bit as well as Coldwater Mountain in AL. My Knolly Endorphin 26" is set up with a Onza Ibex 2.4 DH front and Vittoria Morsa G+ 2.35 rear. My Knolly Warden that I recently sold had Conti Trail King 2.4 front, and Maxxis Aggressor 2.35 rear. My Ibis HD3 never saw the trail after I built it up due to fit issues. It is now for sale. It was set-up with Onza Citius 2.4 front and Vittoria Morsa G+ 2.35 rear. I really like the Onza's and the Vittoria's, and the Aggressor seemed to work well also. The new wheelset will consist of Nobl TR38 27.5 rims with Hope Pro 4 hubs and Sapim D-Light spokes. The rims are 38 outer and 31 inner. With all the new tires out there in 2.5 and 2.6 widths I thought it might make sense to look at some of them for this build. So think Pisgah, Dupont, Fire Mountain, WNC College trails, Jackrabbit, & Tsali as my riding grounds in that area.

The new Rekon and Forekaster have caught my eye recently as possible options.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I run a DHF in the front and Aggressor in the rear, I run two DHFs on two different bikes (2.3, 2.5) both are 3C MaxxTerra. I mainly ride in Pisgah.

The DHF is, well, a DHF. It grips reliably on everything and seems to work really well on the off camber stuff here even when it's wet. I like the larger 2.5's volume over the 2.3, though, which seems fairly small. I'm undecided on how long I'll keep the 2.3 on that bike. I can't speak to the tires you mentioned, but I guess the lesson here is that something with more volume is favorable to help with chunky stuff, off camber roots, and wet sections. I'd also favor more aggressive treads with softer compounds.

On the rear, I find the Aggressor works really well, it does slide in the mud and on wet wood/roots sometimes, but usually it's predictable and because I made a mistake. It doesn't have a ton of bite under heavy braking, but it has enough. I also ran a Forekaster for a while in the rear and liked it, although I prefer the Aggressor. For the rear, you'll also want something with enough grip to grab or give you control on wet roots, rocks, and slippery sections, but it doesn't need to be something super intense. I've found the Aggressor to be a good middle ground, but you could probably get away with less.

Skill level also plays a big role, I see more skilled riders on less tires doing fine. So that's something else to consider also.

Outside of Pisgah, in the other places you mentioned, you could probably get away with less aggressive tires. The bigger, heavier tires can be a bit much to lug around on some of the flowier trails, but in places where it's wetter or more technical, they really are nice.

mtbr member
    Butcher front Purgatory rear. Cut purgatory if you are riding a lot of hardpack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    I run a DHF in the front and Aggressor in the rear, I run two DHFs on two different bikes (2.3, 2.5) both are 3C MaxxTerra. I mainly ride in Pisgah.

The DHF is, well, a DHF. It grips reliably on everything and seems to work really well on the off camber stuff here even when it's wet. I like the larger 2.5's volume over the 2.3, though, which seems fairly small. I'm undecided on how long I'll keep the 2.3 on that bike. I can't speak to the tires you mentioned, but I guess the lesson here is that something with more volume is favorable to help with chunky stuff, off camber roots, and wet sections. I'd also favor more aggressive treads with softer compounds.

On the rear, I find the Aggressor works really well, it does slide in the mud and on wet wood/roots sometimes, but usually it's predictable and because I made a mistake. It doesn't have a ton of bite under heavy braking, but it has enough. I also ran a Forekaster for a while in the rear and liked it, although I prefer the Aggressor. For the rear, you'll also want something with enough grip to grab or give you control on wet roots, rocks, and slippery sections, but it doesn't need to be something super intense. I've found the Aggressor to be a good middle ground, but you could probably get away with less.

Skill level also plays a big role, I see more skilled riders on less tires doing fine. So that's something else to consider also.

Outside of Pisgah, in the other places you mentioned, you could probably get away with less aggressive tires. The bigger, heavier tires can be a bit much to lug around on some of the flowier trails, but in places where it's wetter or more technical, they really are nice.
    How has the weather been lately? I'm coming down in 2 weeks.home trails in Maryland I normally run a DHR2 on the front and Forcaster rear. When the roots and leaves get damp I put another DHR2 on the rear. Yet to run an Agressor. Would you say it's in between the forkaster and DHR2?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    How has the weather been lately? I'm coming down in 2 weeks.home trails in Maryland I normally run a DHR2 on the front and Forcaster rear. When the roots and leaves get damp I put another DHR2 on the rear. Yet to run an Agressor. Would you say it's in between the forkaster and DHR2?
    It's been pretty dry the last few days, maybe a little rain in spots, but not a ton. It might even be dusty. No clue how long that'll last, though, so you might bring the DHR2 just in case.

I feel like the Aggressor is between the Forekaster and DHR2, I suppose you could say that. It's lighter and rolls faster than the DHR2, I also think it has more climbing traction, but less braking grip.

since 4/10/2009
    Pretty dry, honestly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks guys, I used the DHR2 on the front for its good braking. Probably will order and aggressor and bring the spare JIK.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I ride a Knolly Warden regularly in Pisgah and am set up with a Magic Mary and Aggressor. I'm on normal width rims though so I dunno how those play with your width of rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    I ride a Knolly Warden regularly in Pisgah and am set up with a Magic Mary and Aggressor. I'm on normal width rims though so I dunno how those play with your width of rims.
    Haha! Yeah I'm still on the 25imm rims, 2.3-2.4 works well for me. I'll give up a little traction to be able to change direction quickly.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I ride 25mm i.d. rims and 2.3 spec purgatories front and rear...Does great everywhere in Pisgah.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I really like the E13 TRS on the front and Spec Purgatory on the back of my bike. The E13 is much better than the Butcher, in my opinion, but I haven't tried a DHF.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The TRS tires look really nice, I've seen more and more of them lately and everyone really seems to like them. I'll probably replace my DHF with one next go around, to see what the fuss is about.

I've been running a Purgatory and Ground Control on my SS in Pisgah, which seems to work out alright. The Ground Control does really well and I like the volume of it, but the Purgatory is a bit narrow for my liking, I wish it was slightly fatter and closer to the volume of the GC. It seems to hold on alright on wet roots and such, but it definitely slides around more than similar tires I've used before. I'm probably gonna end up trying something different pretty soon that's hopefully got a bit more volume to it, just haven't decided what it is yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    I really like the E13 TRS on the front and Spec Purgatory on the back of my bike. The E13 is much better than the Butcher, in my opinion, but I haven't tried a DHF.
    The E13 TRS is a nice tire, feels like a DHR2 with the wide center blocks trimed. But rocky trails wear them down fast. I got 300miles out of it, and switch back to a DHR2, since I can get 600miles out of one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Butcher front Purgatory rear. Cut purgatory if you are riding a lot of hardpack.
    This guy........

Hard to beat Specialized GRID tires. Quality and price....sold. Been wanting to try out the Slaughter. Maybe next summer.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    As said I run 2.3 spec purgatories on front and rear (29er with GRID rear) and really am very happy with them. they actually roll pretty fast for a meatier tire and I feel the front and back hook up great on nearly everything wet or dry.

I do see a lot of mixed reviews on them though so they definitely don't work for everyone.

I run 2.3 ground controls on my 29 hardtail mainly at dupont and feel they are just ok for grip but roll plenty fast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The E13 TRS is a nice tire, feels like a DHR2 with the wide center blocks trimed. But rocky trails wear them down fast. I got 300miles out of it, and switch back to a DHR2, since I can get 600miles out of one.
    Which version did you have? Race or +?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Which version did you have? Race or +?
    Race, it's a triple compound. Pretty much what I run onot the front.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    It's been pretty dry the last few days, maybe a little rain in spots, but not a ton. It might even be dusty. No clue how long that'll last, though, so you might bring the DHR2 just in case.

I feel like the Aggressor is between the Forekaster and DHR2, I suppose you could say that. It's lighter and rolls faster than the DHR2, I also think it has more climbing traction, but less braking grip.
    Thanks for the info on the aggressor. Put one on and did a 30 mile rail trail ride since our trails were much to nasty. It rolls pretty well.