Tire Selection for PMBAR?- Mtbr.com
    Lazy People Suck

Tire Selection for PMBAR?

I will be doing PMBAR for the first time and am trying to figure out what tire to run there. I have ridden Pisgah several times, so I kind of know what I am in for, but would appreciate any feedback from locals. I know I need to find that right balance between lightweight/ durability/traction. I will be running a 4" travel 29er. I really don't want to buy any new tires unless someone makes a case that all of the tires that I currently have are completely ill suited. Here are the tires that I currently have available in my quiver:

1-Maxxis Ignitors 2.1
    2-Continental Mountain King 2.2
    3-Bontrager ACX 2.2
    4-Maxxis Aspens 2.0
    5-WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55
    6-Kenda Karma 2.0
    7-Bontager XDX 2.1

I roughly listed them in order of what I preliminarily thought are the best choices. I normally race the Aspens and love them, but thought that they may be a bit puny for PMBAR
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How do you have all of those, and not a single rampage, ardent, or nevegal?

Get a mountain bike tire !!!!

I can fit 2.0 karmas on my cross bike.

Please don't take offense. I am bored.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Ignitors

I have done 3 PMBARS running Maxxis Ignitors front and back.

Will be running them again this year.

FWIW: Make sure your bike gets a tuneup a few weeks before the race.

Mechanicals suck in the back country.

Eric ||

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've run the 2.2 Mtn Kings in the last two PMBARs. They are fast on the flats. I've been very happy with them, especially since getting all 5 CP's usually involves an extra brutal stretch of gravel . This year I may run a 2.4 up front to be more aggressive in other places.

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers
    How do you have all of those, and not a single rampage, ardent, or nevegal?

Get a mountain bike tire !!!!

I can fit 2.0 karmas on my cross bike.

Please don't take offense. I am bored.
    Give me a break, I live in Indiana. I don't like slow, draggy tires. To be fair, I am basing that on Nevegals, which I have owned in the past, I have not ridden Rampages or Ardents. I could climb up a wall with Nevegals, but they definitely feel like someone threw out the anchor. I am something of a tire junkie.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fett
    I will be doing PMBAR for the first time and am trying to figure out what tire to run there. I have ridden Pisgah several times, so I kind of know what I am in for, but would appreciate any feedback from locals. I know I need to find that right balance between lightweight/ durability/traction. I will be running a 4" travel 29er. I really don't want to buy any new tires unless someone makes a case that all of the tires that I currently have are completely ill suited. Here are the tires that I currently have available in my quiver:

1-Maxxis Ignitors 2.1
    2-Continental Mountain King 2.2
    3-Bontrager ACX 2.2
    4-Maxxis Aspens 2.0
    5-WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55
    6-Kenda Karma 2.0
    7-Bontager XDX 2.1

I roughly listed them in order of what I preliminarily thought are the best choices. I normally race the Aspens and love them, but thought that they may be a bit puny for PMBAR
    I have run Bontrager tires for a couple of years(Tubeless of course) I have run the 2.1 XDX on the rear and its one tough-fast tire, I've had the Bontrager Jones XR in front 2.25 but I think they quit making them or they are hard too find. The ACX seems a little slow. I would have to agree about the Ardent for a front tire, it corners well and rolls fast.

ohhman
    2.2 Kenda Slant Six(rear) and Nevegal 2.2 (front)

mtbr member
    Meat goes up front. Ripper in the back. I like an ignitor up front w/ a crossmark in the back for pisgah racing. I'm a 26" hold out though and love my Maxxis LUSTs
    My one says BRAP!

drunken pirate
    Rampages for me.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Come on Fett, you should know the answer to that, the ones that will hold air all day. :-)

I am going to go the opposite and run a Race king 2.0 on the back this year partnered up with a mountain king 2.2 or 2.4 up front.

I was impressed with what the speed king did on the trails for death march. PMBAR always has its share of gravel depending on your routes. With my team mate this year, I am going for the long haul on gravel.

Edit: they are race kings, not speed kings.
    Last edited by gatman; 03-22-2011 at 08:43 AM.

eschewing obfuscation
    not much mud in pisgah, save for a few places, but rather, lots of rocks, roots and gravel. those weirwolf's, while a bit heavy, have the volume for the rocks and the low rr for the gravel. moreover, they have super stout sidewalls for a non tubeless tire. i'd run that up front and something faster (and equally durable) in the rear.
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

Pisgah Native
    Specialized Fast Trak 2.0 for the rear and a Specialized Captain 2.0 for the front that was the set up I used for Double Dare,and SWANK 65 and It worked out pretty darn good.
    Out of the tires you have I would go Aspen for the rear and Ignitor for the front. The year I raced with Nick the stick I ran Larssen tt in the back and an advantage in the front and it was a good set up for PMBAR.

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes D
    Specialized Fast Trak 2.0 for the rear and a Specialized Captain 2.0 for the front that was the set up I used for Double Dare,and SWANK 65 and It worked out pretty darn good.
    Out of the tires you have I would go Aspen for the rear and Ignitor for the front. The year I raced with Nick the stick I ran Larssen tt in the back and an advantage in the front and it was a good set up for PMBAR.
    The more I thought about it, the Ignitor/Aspen combo seems to be growing on me.

A couple of other questions would be if my King/Supercomp/Stan's Crest wheels will hold up or if I need to run a burlier wheelset. I weigh about 160 and ride pretty lightly, but like to bomb through and hop stuff rather pick a line.

Also, should I be scared to run my Superfly 100 with all of the rocks or run my Salsa Big Mama to be safe, knowing it can take a beating, but with a couple of pounds weight penalty.

mtbr member

A couple of other questions would be if my King/Supercomp/Stan's Crest wheels will hold up or if I need to run a burlier wheelset. I weigh about 160 and ride pretty lightly, but like to bomb through and hop stuff rather pick a line.

Also, should I be scared to run my Superfly 100 with all of the rocks or run my Salsa Big Mama to be safe, knowing it can take a beating, but with a couple of pounds weight penalty.
    I saw the results of you taking it easy on your Bystickle. If I remember correctly someone broke a 9er on the way up black last year or maybe the year before.

Wait, what happened to the Ventena?

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    I saw the results of you taking it easy on your Bystickle. If I remember correctly someone broke a 9er on the way up black last year or maybe the year before.

Wait, what happened to the Ventena?
    I still have the Ventana El Padrino, but there is no way that I am riding a hardtail at PMBAR. I did just use it for the Death March last week. It has been retired to being my training bike.

The ByStickel was 7-8 years ago and that was the last bike that I have folded up. FYI, Steve took very good care of me and it was no fault of his. It was a great bike.

mtbr member
    I don't know about the Aspen. I've been running one on back for a couple of months now. Handling and traction are ok but, I tore the sidewall on our local trails around Charlotte almost immediately. I tubed it and ran it in the mountains this last weekend. I tore the sidewall two more times in a 34 mile ride. I may have gotten a bad tire but, It just seems awfully weak.

Official Cooler Inspector
    WesD recommending tires to the competition? Muumm....

At least he mentioned Advantage.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Advantages for the ups, the downs, the wet and the dry. Pisgah loves Maxxis Advantages.
    doing things the hard way since, well, forever...

rob
    slakDawg
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Chico Demonte III
    I don't know about the Aspen. I've been running one on back for a couple of months now. Handling and traction are ok but, I tore the sidewall on our local trails around Charlotte almost immediately. I tubed it and ran it in the mountains this last weekend. I tore the sidewall two more times in a 34 mile ride. I may have gotten a bad tire but, It just seems awfully weak.
    Nothing a TB-2 and some duct tape and the backing of the TB-2 didn't fix. That and about 30 minutes of time wasted. Wait, when did it bubble out, oh that's right, on a gravel section...

...that followed after coming down lower Daniel Ridge.

H8 H8 H8
    33" Buckshot mudders with bead locks.

Anything less would be uncivilized.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 44gnats
    not much mud in pisgah, save for a few places, but rather, lots of rocks, roots and gravel. those weirwolf's, while a bit heavy, have the volume for the rocks and the low rr for the gravel. moreover, they have super stout sidewalls for a non tubeless tire. i'd run that up front and something faster (and equally durable) in the rear.
    Bingo. I love my weirwolfs. They turned that tire's volume up to 11!
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

mtbr member
    The ByStickel was 7-8 years ago and that was the last bike that I have folded up. FYI, Steve took very good care of me and it was no fault of his. It was a great bike.
    Sorry, I didn't mean anything bad about the bike. These things will happen.

Just giving you a hard time. See you in NC

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by 44gnats
    Thanks for the jinx. After a dry March, now that you've said "not much mud in Pisgah," I predict the wettest April on record. Darn you.

+1 on the Slant 6s. I've been running Slant Six paired with a Karma for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. The Slant gives you the love of a Nevegal with the speed of a Small Block. Seriously.

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by crossboy
    Thanks for the jinx. After a dry March, now that you've said "not much mud in Pisgah," I predict the wettest April on record. Darn you.

+1 on the Slant 6s. I've been running Slant Six paired with a Karma for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. The Slant gives you the love of a Nevegal with the speed of a Small Block. Seriously.
    I do not think the Slant 6 has even been released yet for a 29er. I have a friend who is sponsored by Kenda and they have been endlessly backordered.

Thread Killer
    I do not think the Slant 6 has even been released yet for a 29er. I have a friend who is sponsored by Kenda and they have been endlessly backordered.
    Released, yes; available, no. You're right, not even the Kenda guys can get them. But some aftermarket distributors have gotten small shipments, so they are out there.

I know because I have three of them myself, 29x2.2. And they are fantastic.

Lazy People Suck
    Sorry that I have taken so long to decide as I know most of you have probably been checking this forum every day, waiting to see what tires I decided on.

After much deliberation, I have decided to go with a Maxxis Ardent in the front and a Maxxis Ignitor in the back. Heading out to Pisgah this weekend for a preride of the trails.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Review w/pics! Like your choices. I want to try Ardent - somewhat similar to Advantage, which I have liked a lot.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

HTFU!
    I had this same issue/question last year (my first PMBAR) and ultimately went with Nevegals front and rear (26" SS). Don't know why people call them boat anchors as both mine came in under 600g. If it is going to be dry, I might actually go with a 2.35 Maxxis Larsen TT for the rear tire this year. If wet, the Nevegals go back on.
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO
    I had this same issue/question last year (my first PMBAR) and ultimately went with Nevegals front and rear (26" SS). Don't know why people call them boat anchors as both mine came in under 600g. If it is going to be dry, I might actually go with a 2.35 Maxxis Larsen TT for the rear tire this year. If wet, the Nevegals go back on.
    The 29er version comes in closer to 800grams. I think the rolling resistance is the big boat anchor factor on those. Traction is great, but I did not find them to roll well at all.

HTFU!
    The 29er version comes in closer to 800grams. I think the rolling resistance is the big boat anchor factor on those. Traction is great, but I did not find them to roll well at all.
    Ah yes, that is true. I forgot that most lemmings...I mean mtb'ers are running those obnoxiously large tires.
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

mtbr member
    I would recommend the new 29" X-Kings, but since they are not to market yet, it would be hard to get some.

Members who have read this thread: 0